AFL to grow to 20 teams

Australian Football news and discussion.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL to grow to 20 teams

Post by Beaussie »

Wow a 20 team comp. Which area or city should get a team. Surely Tassie is guranteed a team? WA could probably support a 3rd team. I like the idea of a northern QLD team too. Perhaps they could play some games in Darwin as well.
AFL to grow to 20 teams as Oz population grows

THE AFL has forecast more teams in the competition as Australia's population swells.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said expansion to include a 19th and 20th club had been tentatively discussed at the top level, with possible targets including northern Queensland, Tasmania and the prospect of a third side in Western Australia.

Demetriou conceded any move to add clubs would be a number of years down the track and could only be seriously considered once the two new franchises, Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, were well established.

"I don't think we should close our minds to the prospect (of 19 and 20 teams)," he said this week.

"Put football aside for a minute - the population is growing and the economy is growing.

"When you consider people say that in 2035 the population of Australia will be 45 million . . . It will be a much more diverse population, based in different parts of Australia."

Asked if the timeframe could be in the next 10-15 years, he said: "Why not?"

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-t ... 6020440515
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Sounds interesting and if the pop does grow to 45 mil by 2035 I think they should be looking at 22 teams and definitely place one up in darwin. Would be tops and only then could you truly call the league national.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Still ignoring Canberra are they? Idiots! They should do that first before thinking about a third team in Perth (and when they think about that they should think about a third team in Adelaide as well).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Canberra deserves nothing. It really is just a fuckup of a city which resembles nothing more than the pissy argument between melb and sydney over which city would be the nations capital... My apologies to scorgerman, the only good thing living there :)

Adelaide and Perth already have their sides and shouldnt get another before Darwin.

I say first Darwin, then Tassie, then perhaps a third Perth and SA team, then a team in Central Australia, then another in Sydney, North QLD then Tiwi Islands, then maybe a second in tassie, then one in Tenant Creek and then, then one in Canberra...if the place still exists, which it probably wont.

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Darwin? Are you serious? How many teams outside of Queensland or WA would play up there during the dry season even at night? I'll tell you how many - NONE! Besides that, NT does not have a big enough economy to finance night games to AFL standard every fortnight for an entire season.

Canberra has a stronger football base than Sydney and has produced two of the game's legends. Alex Jesaulenko and James Hird. It has better grounds than Sydney and in fact are up there with many Victorian venues. I mean aside from Manuka. Have you run on grounds like Ainslie, Greenway or Queanbeyan? They look after their grounds there! AFL Canberra is a strong competition that works well in the NEAFL, and they should have an AFL team before West Sydney let alone anyone else!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Post by kaskill »

tassie, canberra and central coast maybe?? NZL would be good but im pretty sure there wont be a market for it over there.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes I am serious about Darwin. Who cares about the dry season. Its cooler and mostly more bearable thant the wet. And there is often a massive diff in weather between Brisbane and Hobart. So I'm sure the men who wear the short shorts could handle it.

My point is you really cant call it a national sport with the whole top end of the country not represented. The AFL should subsidise the NT's lower economy so the sport more fully represents the country.

Who cares about two legends and some green pastures in Canberra, the place bites and this sport needs to provide an avenue for the MASS of talented footballers breathing the sport in the Territory. Canberra footballers need only roll a few hundred K's out of their dump of a town to make the cut and have a home in the AFL. Territorians must relocate 1000's of K's to do so.

Tassie first and at the same time develop Darwin into the comp :)

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You know nothing about Darwin's weather. It's hotter at this time of year than it is during the wet season. The wet season is horrible because of humidity, not heat - but why do you think the local comp plays during the wet season? Because that's the coolest time of the year and always has been! The difference in temps between Hobart and Darwin at this time of year are way wider than they are between Hobart and Brisbane.

You have a biased view of Canberra that is far removed from reality, so I suggest you give it up. They won't travel to support the second team in Sydney. It's another world. Canberra is more like Victoria than it is New South Wales, and the same goes for the Riverina. It's why football is stronger there than anywhere else in NSW - and always has been.

The AFL won't be able to subsidise Darwin, because they'll be too busy trying (and failing) to keep West Sydney afloat.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

kaskill wrote:
tassie, canberra and central coast maybe?? NZL would be good but im pretty sure there wont be a market for it over there.
New Zealand is interesting. Wasn't Jeff Kennett saying the other day the AFL should look to expanding the game there. Apparently KiwiKick numbers continue to grow in NZ. Think the Hawks or is it Bulldogs are hoping to play a game there next season too.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
They won't travel to support the second team in Sydney. It's another world. Canberra is more like Victoria than it is New South Wales, and the same goes for the Riverina. It's why football is stronger there than anywhere else in NSW - and always has been.
Personally, I'd like to see one of the struggling Victorian teams relocate to Canberra before the granting of a new licence. North have probably ruined any chance they may have had in the nation's capital after their treatment of the market. Not sure who could relocate to Canberra successfully. Western Bulldogs? Will be interesting to see how Canberra supports GWS next season with home games at Manuka.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

I did hear that things are looking good in NZ. But it's got a long way to go before it could follow the Warriors and the Breakers into a cross Tasman arrangement.

I agree with you about relocations, Beau. I did an article on my site a few years back advising North to go to the Gold Coast, and then just as I was about to upload it I heard that they'd rejected the offer. I can't see the Bulldogs leaving. Funny thing is Hawthorn ran down North Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, and they I think are the most vulnerable to such a move - to Tassie for them.

I thought West Sydney were playing their home games at the new facility at the Showgrounds? Or won't it be ready in time?
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
You know nothing about Darwin's weather. It's hotter at this time of year than it is during the wet season. The wet season is horrible because of humidity, not heat.
You fool, I was born in Darwin and know the humidity is the real killer. And on a quick browse of the net my knowledge is true, as usual. The avg temperatures show the months of september october november december to be the hottest, this is the buildup and beginning of the wet season. The restnof the wet season is about the same temp as the dry however the humidity, as you pointed out TP #-o :lol: is unbearable
TLPG wrote:
but why do you think the local comp plays during the wet season? Because that's the coolest time of the year and always has been!.
You are wrong once again here. The reason the local comp is played in the wet season is not because it is cooler. It is because when footy first began there the grounds were far too dry and hard during the dry season. This could easily be fixed now with modern fields and the irrigation systems they use.

Finally my point about canberra was not to say they will travel to sydney to watch the footy, it was to emphasize the close proximity for their junior players who have the potential to make the AFL.

Territorians follow and play the sport at a massive rate and should be given the next team. The Territory has contributed more footy legends that Canberra. Canberra just doesnt make any sense.

The only reason the afl wont subsidise darwin is because the org is blinded by dollar bills rather than justly representating the country. It's the very same reason they wont put Canberra as the next team. The place is not a drawcard for them...

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
I thought West Sydney were playing their home games at the new facility at the Showgrounds? Or won't it be ready in time?
The Showgrounds wont be ready in time for the start of the season in 2012. GWS will be playing games at ANZ Stadium and Manuka whilst waiting for the Showgrounds to be completed mid 2012. Similar situation to Gold Coast this season playing at the Gabba in the early rounds.

The ACT Government is also sponsoring GWS and as a result I think it's 3 games involving GWS that will be played at Manuka Oval. GWS need to be careful here I reckon not to alienate potential new fans in western Sydney. Wont be such an issue if the 3 games in Canberra feature GWS as the away team against a Victorian team selling a home game to the nation's capital.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

King-Eliagh wrote:
You fool, I was born in Darwin and know the humidity is the real killer. And on a quick browse of the net my knowledge is true, as usual. The avg temperatures show the months of september october november december to be the hottest, this is the buildup and beginning of the wet season. The restnof the wet season is about the same temp as the dry however the humidity, as you pointed out TP #-o :lol: is unbearable
The temp difference is still out of line as previously pointed out. And if you were born in Darwin that means you are biased because you would be aclimatised (sp?). When one isn't given that advantage there is a MAJOR issue. That's what you aren't getting.
King-Eliagh wrote:
Finally my point about canberra was not to say they will travel to sydney to watch the footy, it was to emphasize the close proximity for their junior players who have the potential to make the AFL.
And they don't do it because the junior footy is BETTER in Canberra than it is in Sydney. Not everyone gets to play for the Rams you know!
King-Eliagh wrote:
Territorians follow and play the sport at a massive rate and should be given the next team. The Territory has contributed more footy legends that Canberra. Canberra just doesnt make any sense.
It makes perfect sense. Jezza and James came DIRECTLY from there to Melbourne. None of the territorians you speak of did that. They all came via another state comp (Maurice Rioli for instance came to Richmond via South Fremantle). More recently there might have been some directs, but any legends amongst them were under father-son (Krackeour, Rioli). Besides they need to aclimatise and that's been a struggle for some.
King-Eliagh wrote:
The only reason the afl wont subsidise darwin is because the org is blinded by dollar bills rather than justly representating the country. It's the very same reason they wont put Canberra as the next team. The place is not a drawcard for them...
It's a better drawcard than West Sydney!!

Fact, Darwin's pure population draw is BS. Every club presently in the AFL has a bigger draw on that basis. Tasmania has a bigger draw. So does Canberra. Darwin's population would have to almost triple before it could be able to garner the AFL's attention - and have three strong comps to draw on (I said that just in case you throw the Geelong argument at me).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Lets keep this succinct. The temp diff would be a big issue both ways and the Darwin mob would have it harder having to play half their games in a foreign climate. I know you're all for the protection of the players TP but for chists sake, they're men in their physical prime! I'm sure all players could handle a 10-15 degree temperature swing ](*,)

On your second and third points, TP I'm not talking about Sydney and I didnt mention any famous territorian playters... :?> I'm talking about the need for AFL teams to span the nation so that youth who have the potential to play at the top level do not have to move thousands of kilometres to join a club and get a chance. This is the reason for the NT names you mention coming in from other clubs closer to AFL teams. If their was a team in Darwin a lot of talent would be picked up rather than missed. There's a lot more Jurrah's in the Territory as well as every other brand of footballer who are just too far away from the action to make it reality.

Your final point I agree but once again you have not understood my argument. I dont care about numbers and the money etc, I'm thinking solid values and the sport truly representing the country. If money and numbers/population is your argument you have to be joking west sydney is not a bigger drawcard than Canberra. ](*,)

xman wrote: