Umpiring

Australian Football news and discussion.
boof1978
Rookie
Rookie
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Umpiring

Post by boof1978 »

I have a solution to the below par umpiring we've seen this year. I used to work for the SANFL and watched the umpires train, I reckon they would spend 60% of their time running, and the other 40% practising bouncing. With the poor bounces and resulted goals from those blatant mistakes (roos v pies) why not simply abolish the bounce. My opinion is that the umpires are there for one reason only OFFICIATE THE GAME CORECTLY. No one cares if they bounce the ball or not until they stuff it up. They should spend that 40% of their training night going through match simulations and interpretations, to get it right. Traditionalists may think otherwise but who cares about the umpires, we know they've had a good game if we havent mentioned them so dont give us another reason to notice them by affecting a game by poor bouncing.
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

i've thort that way for ages awell boof i reakon they should get rid of the bounce and just have a ball up i mean it does the exact same thing or actually even better!! i didnt watch the colling v kanga's match but saw the "balls up" with that bounce later, it cost collingwood the game and me 8 correct tips haha #-o
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

It did no such thing, Kaskill. Sure it was a poor bounce, but I've seen worse! As a former umpire myself I've done worse! And I've called bounces back, although not one like that one (play on was the correct call).

One of the benefits of the bounce is the lack of predictability. If you make it predictable you'll take out a skill which is unique to the game - the ruck contest at the centre bounce. You only throw it up when it's impossible to bounce.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
boof1978
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by boof1978 »

typical umpires response, supporters and players couldnt give a stuff if you can bounce the ball, the only people that think its good is the umpires so they can feel like they have something thats special. No one cares, get the decisions right thats all that matters, no one wants to know you're out there, do your job and stop trying to be a part of it you were never meant to be.
portu1234
Team:

Post by portu1234 »

bring in video umpiring we have the technology we use it in cricket nrl its time for afl
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

boof1978 wrote:
typical umpires response, supporters and players couldnt give a stuff if you can bounce the ball, the only people that think its good is the umpires so they can feel like they have something thats special. No one cares, get the decisions right thats all that matters, no one wants to know you're out there, do your job and stop trying to be a part of it you were never meant to be.
Rubbish. Anyone with half a football brain wants it to stay. Why do you think the AFL insist on it staying? Because the majority of the CLUBS want it to stay! Nothing whatsoever to do with the umpires! And who told you the supporters and players want it to go? That's also completely wrong. Those who know care, and those people want the bounce to stay.

Umpires have their place. Respect it and don't try to tar them with a brush that only belongs to a minority who blow the whistle too much without reason.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
boof1978
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by boof1978 »

Who knows why they want the bounce to stay. Maybe to make the umpires feel as though they need some skill in order to feel like they're more part of the game. Who knows why Demetriou wants it to stay? And in repsonse to your question of 'who told you players and supporters want it to go' I have spoken to a heap of players from Crows and Power and not one said they want it to stay. Why give the umpires another opporuntiy to influence the game when there's no need to. There'll be a day soon when it costs a team a game, a finals spot or even worse and then there'll be massive changes.
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

its really hard to respect umpires places when they are so rubbish at their job.
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

boof1978 wrote:
Who knows why they want the bounce to stay. Maybe to make the umpires feel as though they need some skill in order to feel like they're more part of the game. Who knows why Demetriou wants it to stay? And in repsonse to your question of 'who told you players and supporters want it to go' I have spoken to a heap of players from Crows and Power and not one said they want it to stay. Why give the umpires another opporuntiy to influence the game when there's no need to. There'll be a day soon when it costs a team a game, a finals spot or even worse and then there'll be massive changes.
A team that blames a poor bounce on a loss is a team that shouldn't be playing the game. That's childish and will be seen for what it is.

What I bolded - I don't believe you. Besides, did they say they want it to go? And what does the club boards say? Do you know that? Doubt it.

It stays because it provides a contest. If you understood the game from that point you'd get the idea. Obviously you don't. Your instinct and feel for the game must be very poor.

Kaskill, don't judge the job on a minority. Anyway - as far as the AFL umps go, the problem isn't them. It's the AFL changing the rules every year. Leave the rules alone and let everyone (umpires included) settle down. Then we'll be able to weed out the weak links properly and get the good umpires out there.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

we're talking about the AFL umpires in the big league and thats who im judging, not minor league umpires who think they know it all and try to defend every umpire in australia because they know that every supporter in the county hates them!! =P~
junior53
Team:

Post by junior53 »

Its alright to say bring in the video ref
What ! Are we going to finish up like the american garbage of stop start play just for the video response
The game has been structured so we have a fast flowing game the video ref will only cause it to slow down and we all sighted the absolute rubbish that Carlton played on the weekend to slow the game down
Surely we do not want to see riots on our hand because if they continue with that type of game the punters will be looking elsewhere
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

kaskill wrote:
we're talking about the AFL umpires in the big league and thats who im judging, not minor league umpires who think they know it all and try to defend every umpire in australia because they know that every supporter in the county hates them!! =P~
Kaskill I'm not saying there isn't a problem. But you are so keen to blame the men. How can we deal with the rotten links when there isn't a guide to follow that stays consistent for long enough?

Have you ever umpired? Have you ever had to change your style every time you're told to because the suits change the rules? Do you know what that's like? It affects everyone, not just the AFL umps. It's one of the many reasons I retired - a minor one, and a contributor nevertheless.

The ones who think they know better (and don't) are the AFL Rules Committee. They should be shut down for five years IMO.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
boof1978
Rookie
Rookie
Team:

Post by boof1978 »

I agree, the AFL have a lot to answer for in regards to poor umpiring. The constant rule changes and interpretations make it hard for umpires to find a good balance, hence the reason to scrap the bounce and get the umpires to concentrate on getting decisions right.
larn67
Team:

Post by larn67 »

=D> Yes the AFL Rules Committee should take a long vacation. How many more rule changes this season are we going to endure :?: Both the players and umpires look a little lost out on the paddock. It would be good to have things settle down for a while for the umpires to concentrate on getting decisions right.
kaskill
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by kaskill »

it was good to see the umpires last weekend actually letting some of the crap go =D> the players are starting to play for free kicks as soon as they get a touch on the back or something and it looks so ridicoulos im glad the umps let these things go and made the players look like fools falling to the ground i mean come on this is aussie rules!!! its not some stupid soccer game where they fall at the touch of a snow flake.. I agree with you about the rules commitee TLPG they are the disgrace but how can we take our frustration out on them when they are underground so to speak??? umpires are an easy target and 100s of 1000s of people are forever going to hate the umpires its just the way it is.