Australian Rules player sent off for 'dangerous haircut'

Discussion about grassroots football and regional footy leagues.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Is this some kind of joke? How ridiculous. Be interested to hear your opinion TLPG as a field umpire.
Ryan Reynolds
May 10, 2011 10:38AM

Dangerous haircut: Nathan Van Somersen's mohawk. Source: The Daily Telegraph

AN Australian Rules footballer is vowing to keep his mohawk, despite being sent off "for having a dangerous haircut" over the weekend.

Nathan Van Someren, who plays for Simpson in Victoria's Colac and District Football League, was given his marching orders midway through the third quarter of his team's game against Otway Districts Saturday.

The Geelong Advertiser reported that Van Someren, who has sported his outlandish hair for three years with Simpson, said he could not believe it when umpire Don Wheadon showed him a yellow card for his hairdo.

"Before the game the umpire said that I could not play with my hair like that. He told me it was dangerous," Van Someren said.

"We all thought that he was taking the mickey out of me. A few umpires have made jokes about my hair before, so I didn't think any more of it.

"I played a bit in the first and second quarters and then I was yellow carded. I'm not sure why the umpire made the decision when he did."

The 25-year-old said he would not shave his head, despite the bizarre ruling.

"I don't want to, I want to keep it. I don't think I should have to," Van Someren said.

"If someone has long hair it could flick someone in the eye. Should they be made to cut it as well?"

Simpson co-coach Leigh Walsh said bad hairstyles were the last thing players should be sent off for.

"You expect players to be sent of for hitting blokes or abusing umpires, not for their hairstyles," Walsh said.

"Our investigator will be writing a letter to the umpires for clarification."
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Absolutely ridiculous. The only sort of spiked hair that would be prohibited is the sort that is rock solid. Greased or waxed or whatever. You know the sort I mean. And this guys mohawk wasn't one of those. You could press it down easy.

The umpire concerned could be in a spot of trouble, although it depends on what his record is. If it's spotless then he'll probably be told to lay off. The yellow card (if it has any effect and in some leagues I believe it does) should be struck from the records.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Typical Aussie Rules 'rules' gone out of control. "Too dangerous"!!! TP this is exactly what I'm getting at with the need to fix up the ridiculous precautions taken in this sport. Next it will be a send off offence if a guy has a nail broken.

Deary deary me. Look I follow both rugby league, which TP calls "thugby" and Aussie Rules and I can easily see why ignorant homophobes have a tendency to call the sport gayfl.

I say this is one area the AFL can learn from Rugby League. Soften up all the friggin 'rules' and allow for some good ol fashioned "legalised assault"! It's what we all love, even umpires like TP :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
The umpire concerned could be in a spot of trouble, although it depends on what his record is. If it's spotless then he'll probably be told to lay off. The yellow card (if it has any effect and in some leagues I believe it does) should be struck from the records.
Interesting. Do you know much about the history of this yellow card? Didn't even realise it was in use in some leagues until reading this article today. Agree with you... get rid of it.