Indigenous opic contd from Citizenship thread

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:
Been liked: 0

Indigenous opic contd from Citizenship thread

Post by yeenar69 »

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:35 pm Post subject:

TLPG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think a Jackie Jackie is a slang term for a white fella, Dogsact. Yeenar is free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Look, I'm all for people having a dip. It's those that feel they can't I was talking about - and reasons behind why they feel that way. As a general rule, I don't like "force feeding" (so to speak) but sometimes the situation demands it - a la the child abuse problems. The thing is, there is such a low level of self esteem out there amongst the young Aborigines they just couldn't be bothered with school, when in fact school is their ticket out of that hole.

It tends to be a tricky situation because the extremist Aborigines would turn around and question the commitment to the Aboriginal culture (ie trying to wipe it out as nearly happened in the 50's with the "stolen generation"). So the government kept it simple and took out the front line problem - alcohol. Then they went to the second line - welfare. And frankly this should be done to any family who neglects their child's education.

On ATSIC - unfortunately Yeenar, the Council had a lot of unanswered questions about it's budget. Pauline Hanson called them corrupt - which was BS of course. But there was a problem. The funding ATSIC controlled wasn't getting to the right places. Why we'll probably never know because there was never an enquiry as it was resisted (which was not smart because such a thing would have rescued ATSIC in the best possible way - showed the Aboriginal people what theire own was actually doing with THEIR money).

Jackie Jackie is an ABoriginal yes person

Kids not going to school well theri are many factors one of them is called institutional discrimination ... a system catered for non ABoriginal children

ATSIC corrupted lmao if they are corrupted then one cannot blame me from believing that they were no less corrupted than the current Government .... yes the cost of Administration (where most of the high paid employees were non Aboriginal) like many services that are suppose to service the community

did ya see Howard trip on the news ... the cheapest trip the Australian tax payers have paid for in years :wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Yeenar, if that's happening in education then why aren't they complaining about it? Anyway, the problem is in schools in the remote communities, where the majority if not the whole of the school population is Aboriginal - correct?

The government provided ATSIC with funding for them to do their job. They didn't do it. Now the question is why? Nothing to do with the government department because they definitely passed on the funding. Don't dismiss ATSIC as being squeaky clean, Yeenar. There are a lot of unanswered questions there.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

What ... Why??? they have been for many many years and some improvising has occured but not enough :roll: I live in central NSW the ratio at my childrens school is 48% Aboriginal some programs are happening but not enough I beleive it could be a lot better particularly retention rates

ATSIC may not have been squeaky clean but my point is the hypocracy of do as I say not as I do
LisaJ
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by LisaJ »

TLPG wrote:
Yeenar, if that's happening in education then why aren't they complaining about it? Anyway, the problem is in schools in the remote communities, where the majority if not the whole of the school population is Aboriginal - correct?

The government provided ATSIC with funding for them to do their job. They didn't do it. Now the question is why? Nothing to do with the government department because they definitely passed on the funding. Don't dismiss ATSIC as being squeaky clean, Yeenar. There are a lot of unanswered questions there.
ATSIC were never given an Education portfolio, that was always left up to the states.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

ATSIC were responsible for health which was mainstreamed first but the close the gap campaign emphasises that that didnt work either :roll:

Back to my point that ABoriginal people need to be empowered and involved with the processes or it will never work
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Lisa, when I spoke of funding I was referring to general funding - not education. Such as housing and health for example.

And Yeenar, the remote communities are not Central NSW. They are outback NSW, and also Queensland, SA, WA and NT.

As far as empowerment goes, you won't get it until those two words are uttered (you know the ones) and a treaty is signed. Nothing whatsoever to do with ATSIC. Aborigines need to truly feel they are part of the community. Those two words will do heaps more than anyone gives them credit for.

Until then - self esteem will remain low. That's common for the disempowered (although not a rule - as I can attest to personally).
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

I know what remote is ... but rural twons that are not identified as remote are still isolated due to service provisions or lack of
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

That applies to services full stop, not just to the Aborigines, Yeenar. I take your point, but that wasn't what I was talking about.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

umm yes off course but I was referring to the terminology of isolated communities