Time for a Republic

Society, politics, culture and everything and anything that doesn't fit on the other boards.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Time for a Republic

Post by Beaussie »

How embarrassing seeing the Queen at the Commonwealth Games as our official head of state, not to mention the fact Australian taxpayers paid $3 million to bring her out here. I didn't realise she was so broke. :roll:

Time for a Republic with the Queen's ugly head removed from all our currencies. A new flag without the Union Jack would be great too. Sad thing is, whilst ever Howard is in power, we'll never be a republic. :evil:
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Grim Reaper »

I think it is time for world conquest and domination, just like Napoleon tried to do. We can learn a think or two from the French....look at what they did to their monarchy during the French Revolution!
Sean
Team:

Post by Sean »

you are such a fool Grim, if you actually knew anything you would know the french revolution stunk of idiocy and hypocricy, yes the monarch was done away with in the french revoluition a monarch that had divine right, only to crown Bonaparte 'emperor' about 10 years later, with him having the same, if not more powers then the old monarchy, then after napoleon laughably gopt defetaed by the russians, and after his death, a 'democracy' wasa tried again for about 5 minutes only to crown a new king and monarchy in the 1840's, and you uyse this as a base for your point? your even more stupider then i thought, if you want a republic thats fine, but why use one of the most failed republic efforts in recenmt history to strenghten your point? i know why, its because you obviously have NO idea on what you are talking about, on any subject, but i thank you, im having such a good laugh at your stupidity right now, it has brightened my day to no end, fucking moron :D

edit - and also my opinion is, i dont really care if we became a republic or not, i lieterally did a coin toss foir the referendum those years ago, cant even remember what the outcome was, i just cant be arsed with all the changes that we would have to go through, i guess if any i would take if it's not broke why fix it?' approach.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Sean wrote:
i guess if any i would take if it's not broke why fix it?' approach.
Spoken like a true monarchist. That was actually their advertising slogan during the republic referendum debate/vote.
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Yeah another pathetic response by Sean if I knew what he wrote...I suppose if we go with that analogy we would all still be saying the Earth is flat and not round and that the COWS are a football team!
Grim Reaper
Coach
Coach
Team:

Post by Grim Reaper »

Post away Sean you lover of all things small.....

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:37 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean is on your ignore list
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

time to move forward ,,, bring on a republic :lol:
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Beaussie, I acually agree with you on this... :o

I am acually a member of the Australian Republican Movement, although they don't seem to be doing much of late... :evil:

Maybe when Rudd gets in he can bring this issue up again....
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

We are already a republic, folks!

Have been since 1988 when the Australia Act was enacted. It pushed all of the Monarch's responsibilities to the Governor General - who is our true head of state.

If we aren't, then the Australia Act is unconstitutional and should be repealled straight away.

Hence the confusion previously referred to!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

TLPG wrote:

Have been since 1988 when the Australia Act was enacted. It pushed all of the Monarch's responsibilities to the Governor General - who is our true head of state.

If we aren't, then the Australia Act is unconstitutional and should be repealled straight away.

no we are not ...what are you on about
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Beaussie, I acually agree with you on this... :o

I am acually a member of the Australian Republican Movement, although they don't seem to be doing much of late... :evil:

Maybe when Rudd gets in he can bring this issue up again....
LOL me and you in agreement on something. Non footy related of course. :lol:

Peter Costello is a republican as is Malcom Turnbull. Not sure what Rudd's position is but hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:

You're right about the Australia Act and the High Court being the highest court in the land with no appeal rights to the Privy Counil anymore. It doesn't however explain why the Queen's head is still on our currency or why our armed forces are referred to as the Royal Australian ..... or why we still have to swear allegiance to the Queen for thing like court appearances, jury duty etc. I thought of this yesterday when I was in court for jury duty.

I'd like to see the Union Jack removed from our flag as well along with a new national anthem. How about, I am, You are, We are Australian.
yeenar69
Seniors
Seniors
Team:

Post by yeenar69 »

we need a new identity after this Gov ernment :P
Willis 21
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Willis 21 »

Unfortunately our Official Head of State remains the Queen which makes us a Constitional Monarchy, not a Republic.

She needs to get off our currency, our armed forces no longer need to include 'Royal" in their names, and our warships no longer need to be named " HMAS" ( Her Majesty's Australian Ship..).

Every act of law passed by our parliament ( which we elect) should not need to be also accepted and signed by the Queen's representative the Governor General, nor should this person have the right to dismiss democratically elected Prime Ministers.

There are many more examples (our passports I think mention the Queen as well don't they??) where this foreigner is named in what should be uniquely Australian things.

I've got nothing against her personally, but the fact that this foreigner is the head of our nation just because of what family she is born into pisses me off!!! :x
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Willis 21 wrote:
Unfortunately our Official Head of State remains the Queen which makes us a Constitional Monarchy, not a Republic.

She needs to get off our currency, our armed forces no longer need to include 'Royal" in their names, and our warships no longer need to be named " HMAS" ( Her Majesty's Australian Ship..).

Every act of law passed by our parliament ( which we elect) should not need to be also accepted and signed by the Queen's representative the Governor General, nor should this person have the right to dismiss democratically elected Prime Ministers.

There are many more examples (our passports I think mention the Queen as well don't they??) where this foreigner is named in what should be uniquely Australian things.

I've got nothing against her personally, but the fact that this foreigner is the head of our nation just because of what family she is born into pisses me off!!! :x
Nicely stated Willis. I forgot about the Queen having the right to dismiss our demoncratically elected Prime Ministers along with HMAS for our navy. I'm sure there are other references to the Royals and her as well. Just can't think of any others right now.