Darwin , RL heatland

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Darwin , RL heatland

Post by azif »

With the Parramatta eels & Dolphins... another... sellout in the NT capital for the NRL this Friday night at TIO stadium

RL claimed Darwin about 10 years ago
It is firmly in the fold these days :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Darwin , RL heatland

Post by Fred »

We have a few people from Darwin at work and according to them Aussie Rules is the sport of choice - although rl has a bigger presence there on the ground than say in other Aussie Rules states Me, personally, I wouldn’t know - but when I come across people from there that is what I’m told. I do know this has, however, been debated for some time on this forum so obviously different views on it. Has anyone lived in Darwin who could give their view?
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Did a bit of a google search and got this from a reddit site which seems to be locals commenting

Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Found this also from Darwin Tours

https://darwintour.com.au/blog/sport-in ... al-darwin/

Australian Rules Football
Though Darwin, or the Northern Territory, is yet to have a team in the national league, Australian rules football is one of the most popular sports here. Dating back to the 1910s, footy has been an extremely popular sport amongst Indigenous communities. The competition here is so fierce that the territory produces more professional footballers than any other in Australia.

Due to the different climate to other parts of Australia, their competition runs at the opposite time to the national league. The game is fast, high contact and unlike anything else you’ve ever seen. We promise you’ll have a ball!

One of the most popular games is the Tiwi Islands Football League Grand Final. Situated just a short ferry from Darwin, the Grand Final is the biggest footballing day of the year. People from around Australia come to support the remote community and watch a fantastic sporting spectacle.

Rugby Union
Australia has two codes of rugby, league and union, and though both are played in Darwin, union is certainly the most popular. There is a local league that runs senior men’s and women’s games as well as a junior competition, however, the real show is the Hottest 7s.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

hahaha

wiki & reddit article both written by fumblers

RL took over 10 years ago with a huge influx of NSW & QLD immigrants that started about 20 years ago...
thats a fact :cool:
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 pm
We have a few people from Darwin at work and according to them Aussie Rules is the sport of choice - although rl has a bigger presence there on the ground than say in other Aussie Rules states Me, personally, I wouldn’t know - but when I come across people from there that is what I’m told. I do know this has, however, been debated for some time on this forum so obviously different views on it. Has anyone lived in Darwin who could give their view?
I have some work colleagues at work who say the exact opposite
the NRL is the bigger comp these days
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 am
Fair enough - I don't care either way - just wondering. I can only seem to find stuff on Google stating AFL is the main sport even when I type in queries in the search engine trying to find something about NRL or RL being bigger. And there was one comment in the REDIT posts that said NRL was bigger too but mainly that AFL was the sport of choice.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:49 am
azif wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 am
Fair enough - I don't care either way - just wondering. I can only seem to find stuff on Google stating AFL is the main sport even when I type in queries in the search engine trying to find something about NRL or RL being bigger. And there was one comment in the REDIT posts that said NRL was bigger too but mainly that AFL was the sport of choice.
stated by insecure fumblers ?

means nothing :cool:
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bbear »

Australian Rules is by far the most popular sport in Darwin.
The NTFL Grand Final is a very popular event.
The Tiwi Islands Grand Final attracts tourists from around Australia.

The Arafura games includes an international Australian Rules competition featuring teams from Asian countries.

Rugby League is not a big part of the local sporting culture and the small local competition has had. clubs fold due to lack of interest and players.

https://www.topendsports.com/world/coun ... ritory.htm
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Bbear wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm
Australian Rules is by far the most popular sport in Darwin.
The NTFL Grand Final is a very popular event.
The Tiwi Islands Grand Final attracts tourists from around Australia.

The Arafura games includes an international Australian Rules competition featuring teams from Asian countries.

Rugby League is not a big part of the local sporting culture and the small local competition has had. clubs fold due to lack of interest and players.

https://www.topendsports.com/world/coun ... ritory.htm
:-k

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
ah no you moron
the NRL took over some time ago ..certainly in Darwin , sellout at TIO last night & 5 of the last 7 games there have been as well.
While the interest in singlets & noodle arms is waning ... badly

NT
its an NRL region now :cool:
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 17 times

Post by Bbear »

NRL in Darwin is only for novelty value .
As a sport it's irrelevant.
The circus is in town so out of curiosity many will go along for a laugh.
The argument for RL being the more popular sport is a joke, for some strange reason the debate is brought up each year and as always you lose.
RL is seventh on the list behind, AFL, Rugby union, soccer, cricket, golf and tennis.

Statistics speak for themselves.

Participation rates for Australian Rules is 60000, almost a quarter of the population..

https://www.aflnt.com.au/news/2017/part ... est-of-all
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I do hear it is the sport of the aboriginal peoples up that way.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Bbear wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:16 pm
NRL in Darwin is only for novelty value .
As a sport it's irrelevant.
The circus is in town so out of curiosity many will go along for a laugh.
The argument for RL being the more popular sport is a joke, for some strange reason the debate is brought up each year and as always you lose.
RL is seventh on the list behind, AFL, Rugby union, soccer, cricket, golf and tennis.

Statistics speak for themselves.

Participation rates for Australian Rules is 60000, almost a quarter of the population..

https://www.aflnt.com.au/news/2017/part ... est-of-all
8-[

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
afl & their crap participation figures ... 55000 walked past an oval with sticks at either end & they're instantly participants :lol:
plus soccer is proof it means nothing anyway

NRL has taken over deal with it you deluded fumbling morons :cool:
ramiroflores
Team: Melbourne
Been liked: 0

Post by ramiroflores »

Fred wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:39 pm
I do hear it is the sport of the aboriginal peoples up that way.
I haven't researched it yet so I don't know if it's true or not, but I've heard people talk about it like that :rofl: