ANZAC DAY - WHO DOES IT BETTER?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

ANZAC DAY - WHO DOES IT BETTER?

Post by Fred »

Here's something for you guys to chew on and abuse each other over about :)

Who does the ANZAC Day experience better - the AFL or NRL?

I am going down to Melbourne with my son and staying a few days to take it all in. Will hit the Shrine of Remembrance for the Dawn Service which I have never been to at the Shrine - but the place is amazing having been through there a few years back - and it's location is just right looking down (is it St Kilda boulevard?) - anyway - looks great. Then off to the match which has a longish history now between Essendon and Collingwood. Got a function prior at Collingwoods training ground across the road from the "G". After may hot the restaurants in the city - or possibly south bank - was down that way last August and South Wharf and Southbank seem to be the place to be nowadays but want to show my Son some of the laneway cafes and bars as well that Melbourne is famous for - just got to know where to go as often hidden without signage etc. Great one just across from Fed Square near the graffiti lane. Then night before we are going to ANZAC Eve game at night - which, going from TV, looks like quite the pregame spectacular.

I don't know much about the NRL game - but I am guessing they would have NZ team playing which makes sense. Do they get a good crowd - is it just the one game that day - like the AFL used to have or have they now a night game later on? Is it the same team every year? Is this something they have always done - playing on the 25th April regardless of when it falls - or is it something they borrowed from the AFL - (or vice versa?).
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Albury Thunder
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: ANZAC DAY - WHO DOES IT BETTER?

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:53 am

I am going down to Melbourne with my son and staying a few days to take it all in. Will hit the Shrine of Remembrance for the Dawn Service which I have never been to at the Shrine - but the place is amazing having been through there a few years back - and it's location is just right looking down (is it St Kilda boulevard?) - anyway - looks great. Then off to the match which has a longish history now between Essendon and Collingwood. Got a function prior at Collingwoods training ground across the road from the "G". After may hot the restaurants in the city - or possibly south bank - was down that way last August and South Wharf and Southbank seem to be the place to be nowadays but want to show my Son some of the laneway cafes and bars as well that Melbourne is famous for - just got to know where to go as often hidden without signage etc. Great one just across from Fed Square near the graffiti lane. Then night before we are going to ANZAC Eve game at night - which, going from TV, looks like quite the pregame spectacular.

I don't know much about the NRL game - but I am guessing they would have NZ team playing which makes sense. Do they get a good crowd - is it just the one game that day - like the AFL used to have or have they now a night game later on? Is it the same team every year? Is this something they have always done - playing on the 25th April regardless of when it falls - or is it something they borrowed from the AFL - (or vice versa?).
The NRL does it better ofc
We have involvement from our Kiwi cousins , the afl does not, making it a hollow attempt to honour the ANZAC memory

we have 3 games on ANZAC day

the first in Auckland at 2pm ( 4pm NZ) , the Warriors V Titans ... already sold out
the 2nd in Sydney at Allianz at 4pm
Dragons V Roosters which has been the traditional clash for some time , 40K sellout for that

the last is the game in Melbourne , Storm V Souths at 7.30pm . This used to be the game V the Warriors , but they have requested to play at home every 2nd year in NZ on ANZAC day from now on
Ticket sales are strong still though & should be the biggest crowd of the year for the Storm.

the first game on ANZAC day for Rugby League dates back to 1927
some 33 years prior to the VFL in 1960

another copycat effort from the worlds best at it :cool:
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

when will this sad little game from vicdumboh come up with something original [-X [-X [-X [-X
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 am

We have involvement from our Kiwi cousins , the afl does not, making it a hollow attempt to honour the ANZAC memory

the first in Auckland at 2pm ( 4pm NZ) , the Warriors V Titans ... already sold out
Dragons V Roosters which has been the traditional clash for some time , 40K sellout for that

the last is the game in Melbourne , Storm V Souths at 7.30pm . This used to be the game V the Warriors , but they have requested to play at home every 2nd year in NZ on ANZAC day from now on
Ticket sales are strong still though & should be the biggest crowd of the year for the Storm.

That's interesting - 1933 for RL on ANZAC Day - was this slated as an ANZAC game or just a game falling on that day? Good to know though. Anyone know if SANFL or WAFL also had a ANZAC Day game - or. QLD RL?

I did a google and see the 1960 game was allowed in the VFL as the law prohibiting playing on this commemorative day was changed to allow it.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:32 pm
azif wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 am

That's interesting - 1933 for RL on ANZAC Day - was this slated as an ANZAC game or just a game falling on that day? Good to know though. Anyone know if SANFL or WAFL also had a ANZAC Day game - or. QLD RL.
no
1927 for RL . Coincidentally that was the first year ANZAC day was a national holiday so I would say the NSWRL marked the occasion.
Our code was ground breaking from day dot :cool:
These users liked the author azif for the post:
Fred (Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:19 pm)
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

From 1997, the Anzac Test, a rugby league test match, commemorated Anzac Day, though it was typically played prior to Anzac Day. The match was always played between the Australian and New Zealand national teams, and had drawn attendances of between 20,000 and 45,000 in the past. The final Anzac test occurred in 2017.
Domestically, matches have been played on Anzac Day since 1927 (with occasional exceptions). Since 2002, the National Rugby League (NRL) has followed the lead of the Australian Football League, hosting a match between traditional rivals St. George Illawarra Dragons and the Sydney Roosters each year to commemorate Anzac Day in the ANZAC Day Cup, although these two sides had previously met on Anzac Day several times as early as the 1970s. Since 2009, an additional Anzac Day game has been played between the Melbourne Storm and New Zealand Warriors.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Skippy Steve
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Skippy Steve »

AFL gets the bigger crowds and the best atmosphere!
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Skippy Steve wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 pm
only weirdos cheer bumbling

large crowds of utter morons.... don't count :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Definetely - 100000 or abouts at the “G” is always a great atmosphere but adding in the last post and all the ceremony will only add to that. But good to see as a country we come together to commemorate and both major codes give it the respect it deserves.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 pm

Definetely - 100000 or abouts at the “G” is always a great atmosphere but adding in the last post and all the ceremony will only add to that. But good to see as a country we come together to commemorate and both major codes give it the respect it deserves.
well one code does because it has Australians & New Zealanders commemorate together . the other tries to , but ultimately fails because NZers have no interest in it
another consequence of being so tiny... :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

azif wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:42 am

well one code does because it has Australians & New Zealanders commemorate together . the other tries to , but ultimately fails because NZers have no interest in it

I guess you can only do what you can do - with no New Zealand team not too much the AFL can do about that, and as you said, NZ aren't big Aussie Rules fans so no team coming soon lo.

I think a while back the AFL only used to have the Australian national anthem but have amended this fortunately.

Still think it is good both codes mark this day with such a big spectacle. I'm particularly looking forward to the ANZAC Eve game - at night - which looks great on TV so hopefully better at the ground.
Veni, vidi, vici
azif
Seniors
Seniors

Post by azif »

Fred wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:53 am
azif wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:42 am

I guess you can only do what you can do - with no New Zealand team not too much the AFL can do about that, and as you said, NZ aren't big Aussie Rules fans so no team coming soon lo.

I think a while back the AFL only used to have the Australian national anthem but have amended this fortunately.

Still think it is good both codes mark this day with such a big spectacle. I'm particularly looking forward to the ANZAC Eve game - at night - which looks great on TV so hopefully better at the ground.
Of course, one can't help still being irrelevant in all but a small corner of one country :cool: