Why a Gay Pride Round works well in the AFL, but won't work in the NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Why a Gay Pride Round works well in the AFL, but won't work in the NRL

Post by GlobalRugbyLeague »

The main reason for this is because they are two sports with very different cultures.
The NRL is made up of 50% Polynesian players as well as having a large Islander fan base who are all passionate Christians.
Not only that, the NRL also has a big Muslim fanbase with clubs like the Bulldogs too. And they all have very strong Islamic faith.

So a Gay Pride Round in the NRL would be an absolute public relations disaster!! You'd be upsetting players as well as fans whose religions don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle.
It would push more supporters away from the game than what it would ever bring. And you'd have half the players refusing to play the round.

While AFL has always had a large Homosexual fanbase, especially in Sydney with the Swans. So of course it works really well with AFL.
The sport has always been very LGBT friendly from having no Cheerleaders, to allowing trans players to play the game.

Is best for AFL to keep embracing the Gay Pride Round and let the NRL have a respect round where everyone is respected without pushing an agenda on religious groups that make up over half of the NRL.

The way I see it, freedom should go both ways, people should have the same freedom to follow their religious beliefs with no interference, as the LGBT community have to follow there beliefs.
And the NRL should not be forced to have a Gay Pride Round if so many players and supporters would be offended by it.
Pete__09
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Brisbane Lions
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Why a Gay Pride Round works well in the AFL, but won't work in the NRL

Post by Pete__09 »

What did you just say then mate.

I got lost after the "AFL has the large Homosexual fanbase"

Seriously who cares if that is the case & also what the hell are you talking about.

I am sure Liebomber will come to your rescue with some gibberish about more white people playing footy than Rugby League so it must be racist.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Pete__09 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:15 pm

Seriously who cares if that is the case & also what the hell are you talking about.

I am sure Liebomber will come to your rescue with some gibberish about more white people playing footy than Rugby League so it must be racist.
No idea why truthbomber is on about the whites in AFL.
Is he saying a lot of foreign born players play in the NRL because they are better at rugby than local born players?
Or that more australian born players player AFL because Australian born people prefer tp play it than Rugby league????
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

:hmm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/

seig heil fumbler

you're right for once , it doesn't matter ... but what does matter is the hypocrisy in racistball
these
token gesture rounds
womens round when fumblers are misogynists
gay pride when they're homophobes
indigenous round when they're racists to the point of being white supremacists

tisk tisk tisk
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:27 pm

No idea why truthbomber is on about the whites in AFL.
Is he saying a lot of foreign born players play in the NRL because they are better at rugby than local born players?
Or that more australian born players player AFL because Australian born people prefer tp play it than Rugby league????
seig heil fumbler ... you stupid idiot :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

the racial diversity in skinnyangloball resembles Australia in the 1930's
most other sports have embraced , & been embraced by our multicultural society
but not derpball
simple really :cool:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

A reasoned thought but not really sure what the point is but I get from it that NRL supporters and/or players are less likely to embrace Gay Pride round or whatever it is called - possibly based on their being a large polynesian playing base with strong religious values that embrace the concept that homosexuality is wrong. Whilst I do see this as a challenge, I would argue that large social organisations like the AFL and NRL etc. do have a social responsibility to promote what they see as social causes including inclusivity and tolerance. I know some would argue the opposite, that sport and social or political causes should not interact. We saw this in South Africa where sport was used, along with other sanctions, to register disapproval of the apartheid system - something many white christians supported and used the bible to support those beliefs. But a decent overview I thought from your end ...
Veni, vidi, vici
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

I don't need rescuing. All I am saying is the NRL does not need to bow down to woke ideals if the large Islamic and Christian involvement in the code don't want it.

Nothing wrong with AFL being the game that has way more appeal with the gay community. All I am saying is what works well in the AFL, is not going to always work well in the NRL.

The Swans have always had a huge LGBT fanbase since AFL came to Sydney. AFL is just a game that they prefer much more. So that's why it works well in AFL.

We all saw what happened when they tried to introduce a pride round with the Manly Sea Eagles. Half the team with Christian beliefs refused to play.

https://wstpost.com/nrl-rules-out-runni ... es-fiasco/
Last edited by GlobalRugbyLeague on Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think it is a tough one - promoting tolerance is something I think is an important role - however people do have their beliefs - but where do we make a stand. As pointed out, many in South Africa used to point to the bible to support their beliefs around apartheid - would we expect or accept a person refusing to play in a jumper or a round the promoted racial equality if they cited religious beliefs that support division based in race? Is Gay Pride round about supporting homosexuality or is it about supporting tolerance for homosexuality. I'll just add that there are many an article on how tolerance is also a form of bigotry, which I have also written on, but I wont get into that here.
Veni, vidi, vici
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:07 pm
I think it is a tough one - promoting tolerance is something I think is an important role - however people do have their beliefs - but where do we make a stand. As pointed out, many in South Africa used to point to the bible to support their beliefs around apartheid - would we expect or accept a person refusing to play in a jumper or a round the promoted racial equality if they cited religious beliefs that support division based in race? Is Gay Pride round about supporting homosexuality or is it about supporting tolerance for homosexuality. I'll just add that there are many an article on how tolerance is also a form of bigotry, which I have also written on, but I wont get into that here.
If they try to push this onto the NRL, they will have a round where half the comps players refuse to play instead of just one team having not enough players.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Possibly. The question is do the NRL continue with it. There was the same situation in the AFLW where a player refused to wear the gurnsey for pride round so not unique to Rl, but it is a good question with no definitive right or wrong with suitable arguments in both sides
Veni, vidi, vici
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

Fred wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:40 pm
Possibly. The question is do the NRL continue with it. There was the same situation in the AFLW where a player refused to wear the gurnsey for pride round so not unique to Rl, but it is a good question with no definitive right or wrong with suitable arguments in both sides
I think there is a right answer, there should be no LGBT round in the NRL. You would have a lot more than one player refusing to wear a pride jersey.

Did you see what happened when LGBT protesters turned up at a Church in Belfield where (Mark Latham was speaking) which is in the heart of Bulldogs territory in South West Sydney. They nearly got killed
Last edited by GlobalRugbyLeague on Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlobalRugbyLeague
Reserves
Reserves

I think there is a right answer, there should be no LGBT round in the NRL. You would have a lot more than one player refusing to wear a pride jersey.

Did you see what happened when LGBT protesters turned up at a Church in Belfield where (Mark Latham was speaking) which is in the heart of Bulldogs territory in South West Sydney. They nearly got killed

Western in Sydney is not like woke Melbourne or The Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. You start pushing that LGBT bullshit at sporting events there. There will be hell to pay. Are a lot of passionate Muslims & Christians from the the Middle East.who won't stand for it.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/pol ... 5cu98.html

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

GlobalRugbyLeague wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:35 pm

Yes, I would like or indeed hope the NRL could take a lead in addressing intolerance and bigotry that we saw at the talk - but others could argue that is not the role of sport. Again, we saw the same arguements used when South Africa was boycotted due to the apartheid system over there.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I just read your second longer post - I see now where you are coming from with the comment about “LGBT bullshit”. I’d be interested in what the nrl people in this forum think about such views given there previous supportive comments about the NRL and it’s supporters being more accepting of the LGBTQIA’s community?

Apart from all that I think there is room for discussion as to the role sport plays in society around promoting channel and standing up to injustice.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I am pretty straight forward...

i hate all this Shit about LGBT and Woke Agenda...
they annoy the F out of me.. i ignore all there crap

END OF