Battle of the Gold Coast - Suns vs Titans

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Battle of the Gold Coast - Suns vs Titans

Post by Fred »

Hard to say on Gold Coast as Aussie Rules has always had a decent following. They are crying out for more grounds - especially since the uptake of women playing the game - the women's game has really taken off. Tv figures are just one measure - but an important one no doubt - and yes, intertest will ebb and flow based on whether a team is winning - happens for all teams - and more pronounced in a 1 team town like Brisbane understandably. But it would be good to get a metric across the life of Brisbane re: crowds and TV ratings (although I think crowds tell us the most as too many variables in ratings). Anyone able to do a graph say on crowds?
These users liked the author Fred for the post:
Beaussie (Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:02 pm)
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:19 pm
Hard to say on Gold Coast as Aussie Rules has always had a decent following. They are crying out for more grounds - especially since the uptake of women playing the game - the women's game has really taken off. Tv figures are just one measure - but an important one no doubt - and yes, intertest will ebb and flow based on whether a team is winning - happens for all teams - and more pronounced in a 1 team town like Brisbane understandably. But it would be good to get a metric across the life of Brisbane re: crowds and TV ratings (although I think crowds tell us the most as too many variables in ratings). Anyone able to do a graph say on crowds?
migration over the pass 4 years on gold coast from Southern Capitals, Sydney and Melbourne.
there is your uptake of growth for AFL (they are quite big numbers) living here now
even rugby league has grown, and it has only grown because of southerners not locals.

i have a few mates now from Victoria, who still like there AFL>
but since living here they give rugby league more of a go due to that rugby league is the talk of the town.
the same generally happens with people moving to melbourne

Crowds for Suns and Lions

LIONS averaged 30k during there peak of winning 3 grand finals.
and than steady into the 25k mark throughout 2005 to 2010
than declining every year to around to below 16k average.
until 2019 season a lift occurred
where 2019 to 2022 AFL crowds have lifted to above 22k+ average
on the back of top 4 finishes.

(SUNS) im pretty sure there earlier days are better than there current days
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

So if you take the Lions since inception and mapped their average crowd each year would the trajectory be up or down?
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

The biggest rise for AFL is clearly with the women playing. Aussie rules has always had a presence in southern QLD - it has not just grown due to migration - although that is definitely a factor. It is in most schools and has a major presence. There are plenty of young people who go onto adults who choose to follow aussie rules - many both as you note - as well as other sports like surfing or basketball. So there is definite growth as the population grows - some migration - some born and breed generational locals - I know plenty. I tell you what has suffered. - Union. This whole, if aussie Rules grows rugby league suffers thing that goes on here - and seems to come from RL folk - is purely puerile and silly. both can and do exist. And may be to the surprise to some here - and which you rightly point out - you can like both. What a revelation. At least on the Gold coast and Brisbane people have the choice to play both - in Victoria if your kid wanted to play RL he'd simply couldn't in some areas - which I would say victoria is the poorer for it.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:39 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
try a story that isn't 10 years old you fumbling ****** :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:22 pm
The biggest rise for AFL is clearly with the women playing. Aussie rules has always had a presence in southern QLD - it has not just grown due to migration - although that is definitely a factor. It is in most schools and has a major presence. There are plenty of young people who go onto adults who choose to follow aussie rules - many both as you note - as well as other sports like surfing or basketball. So there is definite growth as the population grows - some migration - some born and breed generational locals - I know plenty. I tell you what has suffered. - Union. This whole, if aussie Rules grows rugby league suffers thing that goes on here - and seems to come from RL folk - is purely puerile and silly. both can and do exist. And may be to the surprise to some here - and which you rightly point out - you can like both. What a revelation. At least on the Gold coast and Brisbane people have the choice to play both - in Victoria if your kid wanted to play RL he'd simply couldn't in some areas - which I would say victoria is the poorer for it.
8-[

:[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

so 12,500 for the last place Titans against the Radiers.
they have done well to get that figure...

interesting.. the SUNS game looked and which is known on here to be like 3k in attendance. (GWS style inflation)

it proves my point once again, one the crowd is totally wrong and suns rely heavily on big Melbourne clubs
to inflate there numbers, there is no wonder the big clubs play during school holidays.

what happened to the AFL fans that attend AFL on the gold coast to support the suns week in week out..
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

ImageHaving attended many games, seeing the picks and knowing the cameras are on the side facing the members and corporates I would say the 8000 plus figure is right.

Id say the poor crowd was due to one - being west coast so not as many west coast supporters locally. Also Suns finals chances all but gone - so people drop off.

The fact that the Suns get similar crowds to Titans, sometimes more in previous years,in Rugby League heartland, says more about the Titans. Imagine the Broncos being of similar crowd to Lions at home?
Last edited by Fred on Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:45 pm
Having attended many games, seeing the picks and knowing the cameras are on the side facing the members and corporates I would say the 8000 plus figure is right.

Id say the poor crowd was due to one - being west coast so not as many west coast supporters locally. Also Suns finals chances all but gone - so people drop off.

The fact that the Suns get similar crowds to Titans, sometimes more in previous years,in Rugby League heartland, says more about the Titans. Imagine the Broncos being of similar crowd to Lions at home?
Fred, no one anywhere believes the crowd was 8k. You will need to show us the pictures that you say you've seen to prove it. Until then we can be safe in saying the crowd would struggle to be 3k.
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:45 pm
Having attended many games, seeing the picks and knowing the cameras are on the side facing the members and corporates I would say the 8000 plus figure is right.

OMFG

you are beyond stupid
seriously the most deluded fuckstick god ever punched a date into

the crowd fudging thuns got 3000 , not 8000 . The camera panned all around the crowd , there was no one ........ anywhere
they're still in the hunt for finals .. that is as alarming as it gets . No one cares for the vicderpian game in SE QLD unless you came from that noodle armed , tight shorts & fumbles loving shithole

the Titans.. last , horrible ... they suck
got 12500 against a low drawing non sydney opponent
wow

they are the only team on the GC anyone cares about

bye bye fumblers
it was nice you popped in for a decade

now fu.ck off :twisted:
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

Plenty of local Gold Coast support for the Suns.
A lot of extra people following the Suns progress this year ( and growing )

Despite the Titans being in a RL heartland they are an undisputed failure on and off the field.
Time to relocate this rabble to Mount Isa.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The big difference is how much home town support .
Isn’t that the real gauge of popularity.
Look at any titans crowd ..at least 80% of crowd are titans fans .
Look at thuns ..lol sometimes 50/50. I’ve even seen probably more away team tank tops in crowd.
The Titans while having smallish crowds don’t rely on away team fans to boost the crowd number .
Can’t say the same for the thuns.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:19 pm
The big difference is how much home town support .
Isn’t that the real gauge of popularity.
Look at any titans crowd ..at least 80% of crowd are titans fans .
Look at thuns ..lol sometimes 50/50. I’ve even seen probably more away team tank tops in crowd.
The Titans while having smallish crowds don’t rely on away team fans to boost the crowd number .
Can’t say the same for the thuns.
yea true
they're beyond hopeless the Tits , took on the raiders last weekend & still drew 12500 of which I'd say 10,000 were tits fans
they're not RL fans there from other clubs ( might be the case if they were good ) , you wouldn't pay to watch this mob unless they were your team.
so solid support
get a coach & that roster has potential...

The thuns
3000 at their last home game

nuff said

bye bye fumblers :wave: :wave: :wave:

bye bye :wave: :wave:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Whilst the Titans still refuse to publish their membership numbers for 2022, meanwhile a record breaking membership tally for the Suns.