News Corp OWN the NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

News Corp OWN the NRL

Post by Beaussie »

Hmm interesting analysis regarding NRL expansion, the Brisbane market and the pay tv deal that’s still secret.

Seems the NRL is still dictated to by Murdoch and co and Peter V’Landys is seen as nothing more than a News Ltd lacky.

Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Re: News Corp OWN the NRL

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:40 am

Hmm interesting analysis regarding NRL expansion, the Brisbane market and the pay tv deal that’s still secret.

Seems the NRL is still dictated to by Murdoch and co and Peter V’Landys is seen as nothing more than a News Ltd lacky.

Hmmmm.......interesting comment by the well known Rugby League fan......the great Beatup lolololoololol!!!!!!

Get back to me the next time you have something positive to say about Australia's most watched sport beatup!!!

I'll leave the porch light on pal lololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

even if true.

it would than explain why FOX Pay NRL half of what it deserves
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

i do not believe it was FOX's decision..

the Dolphins were the smartest choice on many lengths.

they will be a power club
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think they are a decent choice - a safe choice - which surprises me given V'Landys can be very bullish in what he does. It is an attempt to sure up Brisbane basically. What has interested me was that much of the talk is about defence and defending against the incursion of AFL. That speaks volumes I think. It would have been a choice between the two if staying in Brisbane - do we sure up the broader Brisbane area with reach into the North (a good defensive plan to minimise area and protect that) or do we expand more broadly and take on the expanding AFL in the West and burst forward from there? Seems they have gone the former. As I said, the safer of the two choices by far.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:49 pm
I think they are a decent choice - a safe choice - which surprises me given V'Landys can be very bullish in what he does. It is an attempt to sure up Brisbane basically. What has interested me was that much of the talk is about defence and defending against the incursion of AFL. That speaks volumes I think. It would have been a choice between the two if staying in Brisbane - do we sure up the broader Brisbane area with reach into the North (a good defensive plan to minimise area and protect that) or do we expand more broadly and take on the expanding AFL in the West and burst forward from there? Seems they have gone the former. As I said, the safer of the two choices by far.
the build up of the AFL in the west, is all talk..
the growth is very minimal if any at all..

they have built there Headquarters at Springfield Lakes with the Land being alot cheaper
than Inner city or CBD , cause the council and the government have agreed.

Brisbane Broncos are very Strong in the West of Brisbane..

the actual growth of the north is outstripping the west of Brisbane

it was a smart and safe move..

smart & safe as the Dolphins are strong and asset rich and big demand north of Brisbane into Sunshine coast.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You say it is all talk yet a helicopter ride by V’landys showed the extent of growth with the presence of so many Aussie rules grounds. Add to that new clubs and growth in playing numbers and I’d like to know what you have to say it is all talk.

But agree that the Dolphins are a safe move. A good defensive strategy against the imposing “enemy”. Limit the area you have to defend and defend it well.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:56 pm
You say it is all talk yet a helicopter ride by V’landys showed the extent of growth with the presence of so many Aussie rules grounds. Add to that new clubs and growth in playing numbers and I’d like to know what you have to say it is all talk.

But agree that the Dolphins are a safe move. A good defensive strategy against the imposing “enemy”. Limit the area you have to defend and defend it well.
if PVL was stating the truth and hate for the AFL, of the dangers of the AFL in the west..
would he not have taken the joint bids
of JETS AND EASTS> combined.

for the south west corridor.

let me remind you Easts are a huge club and are not far behind the Dolphins,
add in Jets, and they are potentially bigger.

(JETS were pumping it up, as if the NRL did not put a team here in the west, AFL would take it up..)

it is already rusted on NRL area.

Growth in percentage numbers from very little can seem like alot but is very minimal..

AFL in the South West is almost non existent.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

NRL chose Dolphins over other bids for a few reasons.

Broncos have a bigger following in the west than the North.
rugby league in the west is a stronghold
North is growing and growing rapidly
Dolphins are situated and out of direct competition of the broncos
Dolphins are setup and ready to go.
finances equalled Easts but had more assets to build from

(dolphins were the right bid to win it.

not just the safest. the smartest.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

:(/ :(/ :(/ I see C7 now help the Afl choose its draw. :(/ :(/ :(/ \

AFL and 7
sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G :wink:
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:22 pm

if PVL was stating the truth and hate for the AFL, of the dangers of the AFL in the west..
would he not have taken the joint bids
of JETS AND EASTS> combined.

for the south west corridor.

let me remind you Easts are a huge club and are not far behind the Dolphins,
add in Jets, and they are potentially bigger.

(JETS were pumping it up, as if the NRL did not put a team here in the west, AFL would take it up..)

it is already rusted on NRL area.

Growth in percentage numbers from very little can seem like alot but is very minimal..

AFL in the South West is almost non existent.
VLandys is also a smart man. I am sure he thought about that strategy but choose the Northern strategy - just two different approaches. Expand and reach - or consolidate and strengthen - protect a smaller area. I think the later is a fine strategy also - and fits with Vlandy's way of thinking I feel - hence his reluctance to go to Perth until they shore up traditional areas. I think this fits in. Possibly, as he strengthens the base around Brisbane - he will then look further to the West - I suspect he also knows too well the strengths and limitations of the NRL - if he was going the West angel we would have had a team in Perth as well I feel to fit in with that mind set. The guy is a smart man and knows what he is doing. As I said, he choose that strategy for a reason. If he could, I suspect he would have loved to take the AFL head on. I feel he is smart enough to go the slow burn.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:54 pm
:(/ :(/ :(/ I see C7 now help the Afl choose its draw. :(/ :(/ :(/ \

AFL and 7
sitting in a tree
K-I-S-S-I-N-G :wink:
Yes, I think this deal can only benefit both.
Veni, vidi, vici