Shorter Quarters making the ugly game even uglier!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Shorter Quarters making the ugly game even uglier!

Post by pussycat »

In one game the other night a team had kicked just 1 goal after 3/4 of the game.

AFL legend Luke Hodges wants a change. But someone needs to tell him no matter how many times you polish a turd it's still a turd :rock:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Shorter Quarters making the ugly game even uglier!

Post by Fred »

Yet the most watched competition on tv .... imagine if it wasn’t a turd.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:40 pm
Yet the most watched competition on tv .... imagine if it wasn’t a turd.
That goes to NRL Freddy. (the race is not over)
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Doubt it... the afl home and away competition will crap it in over the nrl home and away. It will even beat the arl state of origin. I think the afl will also beat the finals of either Comp as well.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Lower scores are mainly a problem for advertising and revenue, which may have some consequences for (Future) broadcasting deals.
Also has presented some difficulty for those of us who like a beer during the games in 2 ways: replenishing the stocks is a balance between waiting for a goal or missing a goal, and emptying the Replenishment ...well some things Can’t wait. One of my normal year drinking partners has got around this by moving his fridge into the television room and managed the other issue as well, doesn’t live with anyone and we still can’t have visitors....some benefits.

Scoring goals certainly does add enjoyment to watching a game and low scoring games can be a bit of a slog as well as frustrating however...

This year the % of games won by less than a goal is 16% something not seen since 1980 and before that 1961, then 1960, then 1950, then 1928.
And games won by less than 2 goals this year is 26%, again not seen since 1980, then 1969, 1968, 1965.

So what does all this mean.....very exciting last quarters where I can’t go and get a beer or go for a wee, unless I adopt my mates solution, and my wife may (will) have great objection to that.

I’d do something with comparative scores but the footy is on and I need a wee.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 pm
Lower scores are mainly a problem for advertising and revenue, which may have some consequences for (Future) broadcasting deals.
Also has presented some difficulty for those of us who like a beer during the games in 2 ways: replenishing the stocks is a balance between waiting for a goal or missing a goal, and emptying the Replenishment ...well some things Can’t wait. One of my normal year drinking partners has got around this by moving his fridge into the television room and managed the other issue as well, doesn’t live with anyone and we still can’t have visitors....some benefits.

Scoring goals certainly does add enjoyment to watching a game and low scoring games can be a bit of a slog as well as frustrating however...

This year the % of games won by less than a goal is 16% something not seen since 1980 and before that 1961, then 1960, then 1950, then 1928.
And games won by less than 2 goals this year is 26%, again not seen since 1980, then 1969, 1968, 1965.

So what does all this mean.....very exciting last quarters where I can’t go and get a beer or go for a wee, unless I adopt my mates solution, and my wife may (will) have great objection to that.

It's viewers who seem to be doing most of the complaining about the lower scores!

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

So you don’t like AFL but you do like watching their viewers and you don’t accept any opinion on AFL except when it’s negative?
And I can’t see where my comments are totally positive.....
And channel 7 hasn’t exactly been quiet..just not during the commentary.

I am quite enjoying the multi day coverage, don’t mind the game play but would certainly prefer higher scores...still want close games though. The “flooding“ issue, the game play, not the rain, Will be overcome with tactics as coaches will find another option.
And there does seem to be far more “wetter“ games.
Perhaps we should move all games to drought areas in future...seems to solve that problem.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:44 am
So you don’t like AFL but you do like watching their viewers and you don’t accept any opinion on AFL except when it’s negative?
And I can’t see where my comments are totally positive.....
And channel 7 hasn’t exactly been quiet..just not during the commentary.

I am quite enjoying the multi day coverage, don’t mind the game play but would certainly prefer higher scores...still want close games though. The “flooding“ issue, the game play, not the rain, Will be overcome with tactics as coaches will find another option.
And there does seem to be far more “wetter“ games.
Perhaps we should move all games to drought areas in future...seems to solve that problem.
There are many fans of the game complaining about this . I quoted one AFL legend, and he's certainly not the only one saying this. So Why would you say I don't like to accept other opinions??? the only part of you post I questioned was were you said it mainly only affected advertising, this is quiet simply not the case.

Ps. Your game is an eyesor at the best of times!

Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

I certainly did not say only affected advertising. “Mainly only” Is a qualification that doesn’t make sense.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:29 pm
Doubt it... the afl home and away competition will crap it in over the nrl home and away. It will even beat the arl state of origin. I think the afl will also beat the finals of either Comp as well.
This is how it will be.. AFL will win the H&A and finals.

Once SOO is added to list. NRL will win overall figures.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:44 pm

This is issue with Rugby League as well,
Lucky to get 2-3 Adverts per half of footy.
Half time is 12mins, the punter barely has time to get a beer before kick off to second half.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 pm

Okay so afl win the hone and away season over NRL season.

ARl wins representative over Australian rules football representative ... as afk have none.

So comparing afl premiership season with the nrl premiership season ...afl wins that one. Cool. You can have your rep as it’s a no contest. Give you that.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The_Wookie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 pm

probably not this year. AFL 8m ahead with a round to go - going to be more than 9m ahead by the end of next week. AFL typically dominates finals series. NRL has an extra round after the AFL season ends, but without tests this year is going to need Origin to even get close.
Yeah Yeah did not think it was such a big lead, AFL will get the honours

SOO in Mid November > will be a fail ratings wise, (in my opinion) could be proven wrong