Just Wow!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Just Wow!

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:14 pm
I wonder if it is to do with advertisers being able to target unique markets - as regional population is quite diverse and spread out - whereas a city metro market has a particular confined demographic whilst diverse - is contained and can be targeted.
true regional areas are spread out, along the north and south.
this would be hard to target certain markets for advertisers.

But its always the same, you have you big companies and your smaller companies targeting certain markets.

has more to do with Journos not reporting a whole figure except splitting it and only reporting 5 cities
so you miss a huge chunk of audience
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:16 pm
pussycat wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:33 am
Fred wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Do all regionals get counted ?
Counted by some people not by others. Most AFL fans would still cling to the believe that there Grand Final was No.1
I thought the AFL Grand Final regularly out rated the NRL grand final? Not that I put much faith in "one off" events as indicators of popularity - I think the sustained ratings over a season show this. Cathy Freeman and the 100 metres is, I think, the highest rating sports event yet hardly indicative of support for running etc.
AFL is winning the battle of more wins over the NRL in the Grand Final stakes yes.
this is where it effects the NRL by not being totally national.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Wow another big sponsorship deal !

The National Rugby League (NRL) has today announced Ampol, one of Australia’s most iconic brands, will be the naming rights partner of the country’s most watched event, State of Origin.

The NRL and Ampol have agreed to a naming rights partnership until the 2023 State of Origin Series, including Women’s State of Origin from 2021.

The Ampol State of Origin will make history on November 4 when the first ever stand-alone series kicks-off in Adelaide for the first time.

Adelaide will add to Origin’s growing national footprint which has already expanded to Melbourne and Perth.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said Australia’s biggest sporting rivalry was the perfect platform for Ampol to relaunch its return to the Australian market.

“We’re delighted Ampol has joined us as naming rights partner for Australia’s biggest sporting rivalry, State of Origin. This series always captures the interest and passion of sports fans and this year we will expand into Adelaide for the very first time,’’ he said.

“Ampol is an iconic brand in Australia, so many Australians grew up with Ampol in their neighbourhoods and remember the long history Ampol has with our game.

“This partnership will benefit the entire rugby league ecosystem. From grassroots participation through to our elite competition.”

Last year’s State of Origin series opener was the most watched television program in Australia with a viewing audience of 3.23 million people.

Ampol Managing Director and CEO, Matt Halliday, said State of Origin’s brand and national audience is the perfect place to showcase the revitalisation of the iconic Ampol brand nationally.

“Ampol is a proud Australian company with a long history of playing a positive role in economies and communities across the country, including through support for elite and grassroots sport,’’ he said.

“As we transition our national retail network to Ampol over the next two years, this new partnership with the NRL will reignite old and new customer connections with our iconic brand. State of Origin’s position as the pinnacle of rugby league and one of the biggest events on the Australian sporting calendar also aligns with our own commitment to return Ampol as Australia’s number one fuel brand.”

Dates and venues for the 2020 Ampol State of Origin Series:

Game I – Wednesday 4th November 2020, Adelaide Oval
Game II - Wednesday 11th November 2020, ANZ Stadium
Game III - Wednesday 18th November 2020, Suncorp Stadium

Tickets to the 2020 Ampol State of Origin Series return to sale to the General Public from 10am today.

Fans are encouraged to get in quickly and secure limited seats through nrl.com/tickets
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

This will be god for Ampol as I thought they didn’t exist anymore? I don’t think I’ve seen an Ampol Service Station since being in QLD
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm
This will be god for Ampol as I thought they didn’t exist anymore? I don’t think I’ve seen an Ampol Service Station since being in QLD
AMPOL was renamed as Caltex i am pretty sure.

See below.

Welcome back Ampol The Australian Motorists Petrol Company, which later became Ampol, was founded in 1936 and has been part of Australia's DNA since then. Ampol has also been part of the ethos of Caltex Australia since the two companies merged in 1995.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Oh I see , ,,, how will that work then - will they have Ampol or Caltex on their jumpers? And why then does the release say Ampol ?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Fred wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:33 am
Oh I see , ,,, how will that work then - will they have Ampol or Caltex on their jumpers? And why then does the release say Ampol ?
According to the release, The two merged but took the Caltex name. They are now rebranding themselves as just Ampol.

They will be the new naming rights sponsor replacing Holden.
These users liked the author pussycat for the post:
leeroy*NRL* (Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:31 pm)

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Oh I see - so this is a major initiative in putting Ampol out there.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

pretty much, they will prob start popping up here and there.

i wonder how much the deal was for.

SOO usually commends big dollars for naming and sponsor rights
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:23 pm
pussycat wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:42 am
Wow another big sponsorship deal !

Its not really "another". Its a replacement for the previous Origin naming rights sponsor.
Yes a replacement. Has the AFL got a replacement for Virgin Airlines?

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yeah was thinking same... why would they need a replacement for Vigin?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The last I heard, I admit it was a few months back, they were preparing to place themselves in voluntary administration. As one of the AFL's largest sponsors it must be of some concern ?

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Voluntary Administration is when you declare such and bring in a firm to try and get you back and running - or sell you off. A lot of rules that apply to the day to day running of businesses will not apply - as designed to get the business back on its feet - well that is the hope and/or they can sell it - its about trying to keep the business viable. Virgin has now been sold anyway. I have a lot of money tied up in airfares - now credits!!! :)
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

A time when paying 10's of millions in sponsorship is often thought not to be the best way to go.

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

No... not necessarily. It is a commercial agreement... likely already paid for .
Veni, vidi, vici