COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: COVID-19 Affects it will have on Australian footy codes

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Season 2021 NRL look to almost lock in 10% cut to CAP and will remain at 30 Player squads.

AFL unknown..

2020 season NRL took 20% cut to players
2020 Season AFL took 50% cut to players.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

The AFL needs to do something about low scoring.
Has been going down for a few years now and even taking consideration the shorter quarters this year, scoring is more than proportionately lower, considerably.
FTA returns depend on ads played during game play and that depends on goals being scored, less goals, less ads, less attractive to advertisers, less money available from the FTA broadcaster.
A reduction of players on the field will open up game play, and perhaps increase scoring.
Reduce the lists required.
Reduce the salary cap.
And give potential for an increase in TV income.
Of course the broadcasters that do not rely on ad revenue may have ideas of their own.
CBS that own 10, have neglected the ptv arm, recently announced they are redoing the whole thing, CBS Rejuvenated themselves by investing heavily in sport.
Disney: well they own a lot of sport.
Amazon want more subscribers in oz, and that’s an opportunity, out of the PTV that I subscribe to, too many, I find them the cheapest and the best, adding $2 a month, or even a week....well.
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

What is happening te: scoring ... agree it is extremely low. Maybe a lot of goals I. Years past occur in @red time”?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Quolls2019 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:52 pm
Yes the real facts and the false facts...sounds like a trump speech on the ratings.

I think the AFL knocking back $800,000 (I know they don’t get it all) indicates that they are not overly worried about money...or a least losing it.

We can say what about their reduction in staff, but they have indicted For some time that they thought there was a lot of “fat” at the clubs and in admin.

May just have taken the opportunity.

Although they copped a bit at the start of COVID, I believe they have managed Better than the other codes. Being nearly national and not being international has helped....and may help in the future too.
When did this take place?
Last edited by pussycat on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

A significsnt revenue loss indeed. I wonder whether costs are up or down ? Lots of cuts to the soft cap which had seen many staff let go at clubs but add in all the costs with playing in qld etc.
Veni, vidi, vici
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:45 pm
Has been going down for a few years now and even taking consideration the shorter quarters this year, scoring is more than proportionately lower, considerably.
FTA returns depend on ads played during game play and that depends on goals being scored, less goals, less ads, less attractive to advertisers, less money available from the FTA broadcaster.
A reduction of players on the field will open up game play, and perhaps increase scoring.
Reduce the salary cap.
Of course the broadcasters that do not rely on ad revenue may have ideas of their own.
CBS that own 10, have neglected the ptv arm, recently announced they are redoing the whole thing, CBS Rejuvenated themselves by investing heavily in sport.
Amazon want more subscribers in oz, and that’s an opportunity, out of the PTV that I subscribe to, too many, I find them the cheapest and the best, adding $2 a month, or even a week....well.
100% it will effect there bottom line for broadcasters if this keeps happening.

Its the huge advantage in Australian sport an advert every goal for FTA TV
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

pussycat wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:28 pm
Yes the real facts and the false facts...sounds like a trump speech on the ratings.

I think the AFL knocking back $800,000 (I know they don’t get it all) indicates that they are not overly worried about money...or a least losing it.

We can say what about their reduction in staff, but they have indicted For some time that they thought there was a lot of “fat” at the clubs and in admin.

Although they copped a bit at the start of COVID, I believe they have managed Better than the other codes. Being nearly national and not being international has helped....and may help in the future too.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... e3fa1f40fb

You need to pay more attention....
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Watching a bit this weekend and there is a lot more flooding. Not exactly packs but a lot more players surrounding the ball players resulting in a lot more tackles, handballs and small kicks.
Quite often there is no player in half the ground, something you didn’t see a lot of previously until the last quarter when teams were defending a narrow lead.
I’m sure some coach will come up with a work around advantage, they always do, but they should hurry.

I think reducing player numbers would be beneficial on several levels.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Quolls2019 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:45 pm
Reduce the salary cap.
100% it will effect there bottom line for broadcasters if this keeps happening.

Its the huge advantage in Australian sport an advert every goal for FTA TV

Although the longer breaks after goals (when they occur) and between quarters does allow for more adds.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 pm
Watching a bit this weekend and there is a lot more flooding. Not exactly packs but a lot more players surrounding the ball players resulting in a lot more tackles, handballs and small kicks.
Quite often there is no player in half the ground, something you didn’t see a lot of previously until the last quarter when teams were defending a narrow lead.
I’m sure some coach will come up with a work around advantage, they always do, but they should hurry.

I've been following and going to the footy for a while now and players being in a quarter of the ground has been a long time issues for many a year. Hence they brought in the 6 rule at start and restart of play after a goal and they played around in practice matches at doing such at each restart. Been happening for years and for a while game - not just last quarter.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Totally agree to going to 16 a side like the old VFA - take the wings out.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

I’d go a bit further and reduce to 14. No flanks.
At every centre bounce only two players from each side in square, ruckman and rover.
On the corners outside the square one of each team, with the players lining up on the edge furthest from their goal. They cannot enter the square until a player touches the bounced or balled up ball.
4 players from each team in the 50 metre arcs not allowed out of the arc until the bounced ball is touched.
Would solve a few other problems as well.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:38 pm
pussycat wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:28 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... e3fa1f40fb

You need to pay more attention....
I think there would be public outcry if this was to occur, and that is why the AFL did not allow this.
advantaged West Coast too much
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Fred wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:24 pm

I've been following and going to the footy for a while now and players being in a quarter of the ground has been a long time issues for many a year. Hence they brought in the 6 rule at start and restart of play after a goal and they played around in practice matches at doing such at each restart. Been happening for years and for a while game - not just last quarter.
hey Fred, by memory how long do you recan this has been occurring ? Players flooding the defence and in around the ball.

there is no doubt about it that it has effected the game from a viewing point of view.

(abit like rugby League with the Wrestling ruck and Defence tactics)
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Been going on a while. I can remember being at games and pointing it out to my son ... many years ago when he was younger. Pretty much a quarter of the ground. Gee you could go back to Pagan”s paddock with Carey but at least 10 years I would say. Basically positions as they are outlined are irrelevant.
Veni, vidi, vici