Looking forward sunny days at Brookie. No wonder Melbourne people are always jealous of Sydney.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Looking forward sunny days at Brookie. No wonder Melbourne people are always jealous of Sydney.

Post by Fred »

MeIt is a great place to visit - I'll give you that. Since moving to QLD I am surprised at how many people I meet through work who state they love visiting Melbourne. But I like the warm winter days here in QLD and the great beaches at your doorstep. And the coffee has improved considerably since I came here (or maybe my standards have dropped) but a great little cafe culture down south on the coast. The eating out - Brisbane has gotten better no doubt but still over priced in many parts for what it is - re: fine dining. I have enjoyed the Videri restaurant on the Gold Coast for fine food and great views, and the Northcliffs Surf Club have great casual dinning with a great view (stay away from Southport SLSC as the food is terrible - but for a cold one looking over the beach is okay. Currumbin SLSC is also highly recommended for food and location. But yes, to rug up, hit the laneways, have good and reasonably priced food, hit the National Museum and then some fine dining at night - I do love that about Melbourne - for a visit. I like Sydney too - not the same "class" as Melbourne of course but like the hussle and bussle of the place, the harbour is stunning, and Rose Bay I quite liked. Has a prime seat outside at Doyle's I think it was - was quite lucky - just rocked up and had probably the best seat in the place. Oh - and liked Chinatown - better than Melbourne's one I thought and best Yum cha I have had there. Bondi - I felt was overrated - beach is okay but Gold Coast beaches much much better and of course better surf I would argue.

But you can't beat Melbourne for sophistication - yes - they know it - but they don't push it in your face. Some of the dive bars are amazing too - although the hipsters are just tolerable :)
Veni, vidi, vici
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Looking forward sunny days at Brookie. No wonder Melbourne people are always jealous of Sydney.

Post by Bbear »

Sounds like the Gold coast has come of age, plenty of fine cafe options.
Fifteen to twenty years ago the big cities had a monopoly on quality hip cafes, not anymore. Wherever you go it's always hit and miss with dining.
Most cafes have reviews by travellers on TripAdvisor if you are unsure about trying a place look it up.
As for surf beaches, some are patrolled only on weekends or school holidays and are unsafe to swim at if no flags present, left me hot and dry a few times, not talking about specific regions just different places on my travels.
Surf is great but a bay beach offers safe swimming whenever.

As for this Sydney vs Melbourne banter does anybody take it seriously, both places have their pros and cons. Yes Melbourne is a bit cooler in winter but it's summer is warm and comfortable without the humidity.
Australians are spoilt with lifestyle choice, football codes aside.
Many populated regions in the world are hot and dusty hundreds of miles from beautiful beaches.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

I work with a few pommy & European tradies on site and not one of them have said they prefer Melbourne to Sydney.

They all say it is miserable and depressing down in Melbourne and Sydney is so much better.

So even overseas people prefer Sydney. They all want to settle in Sydney or Queensland not Melbourne. :cool:
Last edited by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

AngloFootballLeague wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:44 am
Melbourne is a toilet
Yeah the Yarra river is certainly accurate with that description. :lol:
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:49 am
I work with a few pommy & European tradies on site and not one of them have said they prefer Melbourne to Sydney.

They all say it is miserable and depressing down in Melbourne and Sydney is so much better.

So even overseas people prefer Sydney. They all want to settle in Sydney or Queensland not Melbourne. :cool:

So you speak to a “few” Englishmen and that means “all”. Okay boomer.
Veni, vidi, vici
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Fred wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:54 pm

Boomer?? Are you serious dork? :lol: I am actually Gen X for the record.

There is nothing like Bondi beach in Melbourne city. Poms go to Australia for the surf beaches. Not a shit brown river. :cool:
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:47 pm
Fred wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:54 pm

Boomer?? Are you serious dork? :lol: I am actually Gen X for the record.

There is nothing like Bondi beach in Melbourne city. Poms go to Australia for the surf beaches. Not a shit brown river. :cool:
People go to Melbourne instead of Sydney for sport, arts, shopping, and dining.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Would this have to be the most pathetic thread on here ?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

Fred wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:38 pm
Would this have to be the most pathetic thread on here ?
I don't know Fred, yours is pretty pathetic but i think LOL's thread would give you a good run for your money.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Well I had a loverly day out at Narrabeen beach for the international surfing! Beautiful weather. Good crowd. Followed by a couple of beers and a bucket of prawns at the Sands Hotel. Gotta lurv 'ol Sydney town!!!!!!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Got love it ... but that’s every day if you want it on the goldy. Always think australia is an amazing place with each town capital city having something great to offer. Off to Port Douglas Wednesday to check out my new place.

On a side note.... it’s red hot at the moment on the holiday rental market and investing in some holiday rentals could be a good move. DYOR however ... advice is of a general nature etc etc .... also ACDC if your up for shares but on my track record definetely seek your own advice on that one lol
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Fred wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:19 pm
Got love it ... but that’s every day if you want it on the goldy. Always think australia is an amazing place with each town capital city having something great to offer. Off to Port Douglas Wednesday to check out my new place.

On a side note.... it’s red hot at the moment on the holiday rental market and investing in some holiday rentals could be a good move. DYOR however ... advice is of a general nature etc etc .... also ACDC if your up for shares but on my track record definetely seek your own advice on that one lol
good point Fred. I bought a beach house on Philip Island during the pandemic. Prices have gone up about 100k since then, and the house is paying for itself and more in airbnb rentals. Local holidaying is doing very well