How does it feel knowing Australians embraced Rugby League yet English rejected AFL?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 6 times

Re: How does it feel knowing Australians embraced Rugby League yet English rejected AFL?

Post by AngloFootballLeague »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm
AngloFootballLeague wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm
Definition of words evolve - Term anglo is commonly used to refer to white people. For example; Anglofl players & fans are so anglo.
Defective deflection, you have been pushing the Anglophile angle without knowing what it actually meant and will not admit it.

And you still can’t get it right...it specifically relates to the English or related to the English. Not all English are white and not all white are English, in fact most are not.

“Anglo is a prefix indicating a relation to the Angles, England, the English people or the English language, such as in the term Anglo-Saxon language. It is often used alone, somewhat loosely, to refer to people of British Isles descent in the Americas, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia.”

Oh my. Perhaps you could evolve into a person who has more comprehension.
That's prefix - Noun is white English speaking person. Common usage of term in Australia is for white person.
All this because you can't except stats relating to Anglofl poor diversity.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

Re: How does it feel knowing Australians embraced Rugby League yet English rejected AFL?

The_Wookie wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 pm
Definition of words evolve - Term anglo is commonly used to refer to white people. For example; Anglofl players & fans are so anglo.
It specifically used to refer to English speaking people. Not just every white person on the planet. Just because you choose to mangle the language doesnt make it right.
I am pretty sure that's how language evolves.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

The_Wookie wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 pm
It specifically used to refer to English speaking people. Not just every white person on the planet. Just because you choose to mangle the language doesnt make it right.
Incorrect my friend!!! It refers to white gentiles of Germanic stock. Particularly pertaining to those who invaded the UK in the 5th century AD. Germanic tribes spoke a form of English that bears no comparison to todays language.

They were from Frisia, Lower Saxony, Jutland and southern Sweden. Yep. Lily-white Which is the point of the name.

Hope that helps!!!!
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Nope
That is where some of the several waves of invaders came from, but Anglo specifically relates to England...Land of angles.....england

Hopes that helps
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Hope this helps.

Anglo is a Late Latin prefix used to denote English- in conjunction with another toponym or demonym. The word is derived from Anglia, the Latin name for England and still used in the modern name for its eastern region, East Anglia.

The Anglo-Saxons were a cultural group who inhabited Great Britain from the 5th century. They comprise people from Germanic tribes who migrated to the island from continental Europe, their descendants, and indigenous British groups who adopted many aspects of Anglo-Saxon culture and language; the cultural foundations laid by the Anglo-Saxons are the foundation of the modern English legal system and of many aspects of English society; the modern English language owes over half its words – including the most common words of everyday speech – to the language of the Anglo-Saxons. Historically, the Anglo-Saxon period denotes the period in Britain between about 450 and 1066, after their initial settlement and up until the Norman conquest. The early Anglo-Saxon period includes the creation of an English nation,
England, England, England.......
And English football games, or those derived from them, rule the world except in Australia.....yet we are the anglophiles, don’t think so.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

Quolls2019 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:26 am
Hope this helps.

Anglo is a Late Latin prefix used to denote English- in conjunction with another toponym or demonym. The word is derived from Anglia, the Latin name for England and still used in the modern name for its eastern region, East Anglia.

The Anglo-Saxons were a cultural group who inhabited Great Britain from the 5th century. They comprise people from Germanic tribes who migrated to the island from continental Europe, their descendants, and indigenous British groups who adopted many aspects of Anglo-Saxon culture and language; the cultural foundations laid by the Anglo-Saxons are the foundation of the modern English legal system and of many aspects of English society; the modern English language owes over half its words – including the most common words of everyday speech – to the language of the Anglo-Saxons. Historically, the Anglo-Saxon period denotes the period in Britain between about 450 and 1066, after their initial settlement and up until the Norman conquest. The early Anglo-Saxon period includes the creation of an English nation,
England, England, England.......
And English football games, or those derived from them, rule the world except in Australia.....yet we are the anglophiles, don’t think so.
Yet, your game is played almost exclusively by Anglos.
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Another broad, demonstratably, incorrect statement, comprehension problem again.
Almost exclusively?. Prove it.
AngloFootballLeague
Captain
Captain

Have you seen a game? So many white people. I know your concern over English speaking part - most Anglofl players are incomprehensible but they try.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm
Defective deflection, you have been pushing the Anglophile angle without knowing what it actually meant and will not admit it.

And you still can’t get it right...it specifically relates to the English or related to the English. Not all English are white and not all white are English, in fact most are not.

“Anglo is a prefix indicating a relation to the Angles, England, the English people or the English language, such as in the term Anglo-Saxon language. It is often used alone, somewhat loosely, to refer to people of British Isles descent in the Americas, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia.”

Oh my. Perhaps you could evolve into a person who has more comprehension.
Wrong on every count my friend! Saxons pertains to the Germanic tribes who invaded Britain after the Romans left. The pre-fix Anglo refers to the successive generations of Saxons who lived & populated Britain. : I.E. - they are Saxons living in Britain.

The UK also has large populations of Celts largely in Ireland, Wales and Scotland. And of course there is the Normans of Normandy France. You know......1066AD and all that.

So your premise that Anglo Saxons relates to the English or English language is demonstrably incorrect, without nuance and ignorant of the facts.

And yes......the Anglo-Saxons are lily white. Which is the point being made here.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

There are plenty of aboriginal players playing Australian Rules football right across this country ... I watch an interesting show over the weekend on a place in the outback where they play on red dirt for an oval. All aboriginal? Aussie Rules is the primary code for many an aboriginal community in the outback. And plenty of aboriginals play Aussie Rules in Aussie Rules states .... because rl is pretty minor and in many areas ... non existent.

Even in nsw and qld aboriginal kids play Aussie Rules. So not sure what you are on about.

Then there are those refugee Africans who have adopted the game. Some even playing at the top level of afl. Any Sudanese playing nrl at the top level?

There there are people from European backgrounds who are etched throughout afl history. Silvani, jesalinko are famous in afl. Look at the map provided .... did you not look at it. People from all over Europe. We have a Fijian (parents) as one of the best players in the comp ... when fit. Yes, afl generally doesn’t appeal to Pacific Islanders ... rugby codes are what they grow up on of course so they naturally go into that sport.

And there are I think 62 maybe more, aboriginal people playing afl at its highest level.

Again... look at the map. Don’t comment until you do please.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am
There are plenty of aboriginal players playing Australian Rules football right across this country ... I watch an interesting show over the weekend on a place in the outback where they play on red dirt for an oval. All aboriginal? Aussie Rules is the primary code for many an aboriginal community in the outback. And plenty of aboriginals play Aussie Rules in Aussie Rules states .... because rl is pretty minor and in many areas ... non existent.

Even in nsw and qld aboriginal kids play Aussie Rules. So not sure what you are on about.

Then there are those refugee Africans who have adopted the game. Some even playing at the top level of afl. Any Sudanese playing nrl at the top level?

There there are people from European backgrounds who are etched throughout afl history. Silvani, jesalinko are famous in afl. Look at the map provided .... did you not look at it. People from all over Europe. We have a Fijian (parents) as one of the best players in the comp ... when fit. Yes, afl generally doesn’t appeal to Pacific Islanders ... rugby codes are what they grow up on of course so they naturally go into that sport.

And there are I think 62 maybe more, aboriginal people playing afl at its highest level.

Here's a nice little story Freddy boy!!! The Western Bulldogs do not have one.......yep......none.....zero....zilch.....indigenous player on their list in 2019. Incredible stuff in this day and age wouldn't you let think Freddy!!!!!!

Please read the article and do more research. Don't comment until you do please!!!!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wes ... 521mb.html
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am

Well I've done as demanded Fredo and looked at the indigenous players map for 2019. It would appear that the Sydney Swans have only 3 indigenous players. One is the household name Bobby Frankham & the other 2 I've never heard of. I'm not sure they've even played a game.

Can you please confirm this map is correct and the Swans have only 3 indigenous players Fredo. Ta!!!!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/wes ... 521mb.html
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

A few yrs back the indigenous game of the round was IIRC richville v someone
Apparently not one indigenous player took the field for richville .
Tokenism at its finest
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:53 pm
A few yrs back the indigenous game of the round was IIRC richville v someone
Apparently not one indigenous player took the field for richville .
Tokenism at its finest
Can you point us to which game this was. There are still a lot of aboriginals playing the game. Why does it eat at you that there is? Just accept it. Not just at AFL level - but across the country. It is the sport of choice of Aboriginals in WA and NT - the outback - that is what they play mainly. Not sure why this is an issue. So many great Aboriginal AFL players playing and have played. As noted previously and again here - there is still some work to be done administratively.

Aboriginal AFL statistics
This is a small snapshot of Aboriginal AFL statistics in 2008 [1]:

The AFL's Aboriginal programs reach more than 87,000 Aboriginal people or 36% of Australia's Aboriginal population.
25 Australian Football Indigenous academies operate across the country.
Four AFL clubs engage with Aboriginal communities: Essendon (Wadeye), Geelong (Gove and Groote), Richmond (Alice Springs) and Collingwood (Katherine).
189 Aboriginal players play AFL/VFL football.
72 players are on AFL club lists, an historic record.
Aboriginal football players make up 10% of the AFL competition, another historic record.
14 Aboriginal players have played 200 games or more, 7 more than 250 games, one has reached 300 games (Gavin Wanganeen).
156 Aboriginal players have made their AFL/VFL debut since 1980. Only 23 did so prior to 1980.
AFL clubs employ around 1,300 employees [2]. Out of these

only 5 are Aboriginal,
only one Aboriginal person is a club executive,
only one is on club boards, [3] and
only 2 out of the 150 coaches are Aboriginal.

Source: Aboriginal AFL statistics - Creative Spirits, retrieved from https://www.creativespirits.info/aborig ... stics#toc0
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Background noise again
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o