What I learnt on the weekend

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: What I learnt on the weekend

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:04 am
NlolRL wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:13 pm
You acknowledge he never played basketball until he started college right? You acknowledge that to make a college basketball side in any capacity, let alone play games, with absolutely no experience would be nigh on impossible right?

How can you repeatedly overlook these factors.

If he was a lifelong bball player you'd have a point, but he wasnt. He made an increadibly high level based on his agility and hand-eye co-ordination only.
Yet when we apply the same to RL players making it in afl you lot screech ......marketing ...lol
"You've got to recruit because they're going to contribute on the field," Colless said.
"The Israel Folau experiment at GWS was an absolute waste of money.
"It was irresponsible and dumb.
"I don't think you could ever justify signing someone from a marketing point of view."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gws ... r5vvb.html

GREATER Western Sydney is planning to meet Kurt Tippett next week, as the club explores the possibility of moving some of Israel Folau's marketing millions over to the controversial former Adelaide forward.https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gws ... 28mww.html

in 2011, Folau ran out for start-up club the Greater Western Sydney Giants in a deal said to be worth $6 million over four years. The move was widely regarded as a cynical marketing ploy, something then-AFL chief Andrew Demetriou tacitly acknowledges. "AFL is a foreign game in western Sydney," he says. "The thing about Izzy was that he had originally come from western Sydney. He was a name out there, and any local name was good."https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/israel ... j4ksy.html

:)))

Oklahoma State saw how talented Cox was despite no basketball experience. They had no ulterior motive for signing him. The AFL saw Folau as popular in a new market and paid him massive overs to be a marketing tool. He wasnt selected for his likely contribution on the field
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:51 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:04 am
NlolRL wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:13 pm
You acknowledge he never played basketball until he started college right? You acknowledge that to make a college basketball side in any capacity, let alone play games, with absolutely no experience would be nigh on impossible right?

How can you repeatedly overlook these factors.

If he was a lifelong bball player you'd have a point, but he wasnt. He made an increadibly high level based on his agility and hand-eye co-ordination only.
Yet when we apply the same to RL players making it in afl you lot screech ......marketing ...lol
"You've got to recruit because they're going to contribute on the field," Colless said.
"The Israel Folau experiment at GWS was an absolute waste of money.
"It was irresponsible and dumb.
"I don't think you could ever justify signing someone from a marketing point of view."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gws ... r5vvb.html

GREATER Western Sydney is planning to meet Kurt Tippett next week, as the club explores the possibility of moving some of Israel Folau's marketing millions over to the controversial former Adelaide forward.https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/gws ... 28mww.html

in 2011, Folau ran out for start-up club the Greater Western Sydney Giants in a deal said to be worth $6 million over four years. The move was widely regarded as a cynical marketing ploy, something then-AFL chief Andrew Demetriou tacitly acknowledges. "AFL is a foreign game in western Sydney," he says. "The thing about Izzy was that he had originally come from western Sydney. He was a name out there, and any local name was good."https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/israel ... j4ksy.html

:)))

Oklahoma State saw how talented Cox was despite no basketball experience. They had no ulterior motive for signing him. The AFL saw Folau as popular in a new market and paid him massive overs to be a marketing tool. He wasnt selected for his likely contribution on the field
Oh dear!!!! I fear we,re heading back into the goldfish bowl again!!!! So this is where I quote super coach Shedley saying Izzy was one of the greatest talents he's ever seen!!!!

Lolller will come back with innane quotes from fumbleball nobodies.....and round and round and round we go again!!!!! This was done to death years ago.

lolller- get new material pal!!!! You,re running on empty!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

You can quote Sheedy all you like. As a coach it's his job to talk his players up which is why he was considered a great coach. But Folau's stats speak volumes, and the objective judges of his contribution all agree he was a complete misfit.
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:21 pm
You can quote Sheedy all you like. As a coach it's his job to talk his players up which is why he was considered a great coach. But Folau's stats speak volumes, and the objective judges of his contribution all agree he was a complete misfit.
You are wrong again pal. It seems to be your default position. Sheedy made his comments years after Izzy left the AFL. He was pleading for him to go back. He had no reason to talk him up after he left.

He is also commonly regarded as one of the best fumbling coaches of all time. He told the truth as he saw it. And to say 'all agree he was a complete misfit' is demonstrably wrong as Kelvins comments show.

You truly need to put more thought into your posts. You're copping a hiding pal!!!!!
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Thats what Sheedy does. He is the most active proponent of expansion and sees everyone with potential. He wants to see polynesian kids play AFL and will talk them up no matter what the situation. Izzy was the correct size for AFL but just didnt have the endurance or enough understanding of the tactics to make it. Sheedy loves to prove ther doubters wrong though, so he would have gambled on izzy to succeed eventually.

None of the other footy experts thought Izzy was worthy of an AFL spot, and they were backed up by facts
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Gee...….who to believe????? One of the greatest coaches in fumbling history...….or some no name fumbling zealot with an axe to grind lololololololol?????????

I dunno……I'll have to toss a coin lolololol!!!!!!
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Zealot doesn't come close to describing turd scrambling fans .
RL fans see their sport for what it is..the good & the bad ..warts & all & have no problem saying that .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 am
Gee...….who to believe????? One of the greatest coaches in fumbling history...….or some no name fumbling zealot with an axe to grind lololololololol?????????

I dunno……I'll have to toss a coin lolololol!!!!!!
You want evidence of Sheedy and his willingness to try untapped talent?
Sheedy is constantly on the lookout for talent which can migrate across sports - if not also across national borders.

ALWAYS searching for a new promised land for AFL recruits, GWS coach Kevin Sheedy dropped in on the annual Sudanese Australian basketball championships.
The annual championships are held in the same neighbourhood as his brand new AFL team, the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Asked what he was doing there, Sheeds said he had a giant chequebook and he had come to discover the next big thing.

"I've come to find ya,'' he told the Daily Telegraph's Mike Hurst.

"And I've got a $9 million salary cap. Anyone interested?''
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... fb64602d28

AFTER signing a South African player last week, Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy said his next recruitment stop for his new AFL club is the United States.
Sheedy believes the state of California has untapped potential for producing Australian Rules talent and plans on travelling there in the near future. "There will be 10 players recruited from South Africa in the next 10 years for sure," he said.
"Don't forget, we can recruit from around the world now.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 9a01d11834

He isnt there trying to recruit ready-made AFL players. He's attempting to find someone with potential who may make a future player after years of coaching. He targeted Izzy because of that potential, and because he was well known in the local market.

There is no way he thought Izzy was a good player, he only thought Izzy had potential once he learned the sport.

"Do we have the audacity and courage to stick a guy like him at centre half-back and teach him how to play, work off a player then run and receive and rebound?
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl ... r9mwq.html

Furthermore, Sheedy was responding to criticism aimed at him for recruiting a player without any experience in the first place. He was simply justifying his original decision to recruit Izzy saying it only failed because Izzy didnt stick it out.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

I hear the jungle drums beating
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:23 pm
I hear the jungle drums beating
I've just used multiple sources to support my view. You've only provided your own biassed view.

1. Everyone except Sheedy has conceded Folau was recruited for marketing only, and was an abject failure of a recruit. 2. Sheedy has a long history of recruiting from unlikely sources and attempting to make them into AFL players based on potential alone
3. Sheedy's latest comments about Folau were in response to someone who criticised his recruitment of Folau. Anyone with half a brain cell can see Sheedy was justifying his wasted recruiting