Financial problems and doubts about 2025 RL World Cup in US

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Financial problems and doubts about 2025 RL World Cup in US

Post by Beaussie »

Oh dear... :(/
Promoter's financial problems cast doubt over 2025 World Cup in US

There are fears the 2025 Rugby League World Cup may not go ahead in the US as planned due to financial troubles surrounding the promoter.

The Rugby League International Federation had conditionally awarded the event to North America almost two years ago, signifying the first time the tournament will be taken out of traditional heartland areas. The bold foray into the US and Canada is still seven years away, but already there are concerns whether the event's promoter, Moore Sports International, is still in a position to bankroll the event.

The company made history by taking an England-New Zealand Test to Colorado earlier this year, a game that was well received in the Denver region. However, a crowd of less than 20,000 resulted in Moore Sports International chief executive Jason Moore suffering an estimated seven-figure loss. While the players have been paid, the New Zealand Rugby League and the Rugby Football League (the governing body for professional rugby league in England) claim they are out of pocket and are facing the prospect of carrying a debt of up to $500,000 each.

The fallout from the Denver foray comes at a time when the NRL is seeking to take more matches to the American market. The governing body gave some consideration to staging a season-ending Australia-Tonga Test in New York, but the promoter behind the initiative couldn’t convince head office he could make the project stack up financially at short notice.

Negotiations are also advanced to take the opening round match for 2019, most likely between Melbourne and South Sydney, to the US. A decision on the "round zero" project is imminent, although the NRL is wary of green lighting another loss-making match in America.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/promot ... 4zzqi.html
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: Financial problems and doubts about 2025 RL World Cup in US

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Can be easily fixed .
Put up a few hundred catering tents .
That gets the crowds in .
TLPG 🀣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🀣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

It was always going to be a gamble when you're relying on a single promoter. I'm not surprised by this. On the other hand the NRL are finally doing something positive about the international game with tests against NZ & Tonga in successive weeks & a plan to grow the game in the Pacific.

Oh.......and welcome back Beatup!!!!! And what a surprise you return with a negative story on RL. It's a pity you have no fumbling mates to back you up!!!!
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

Rugby League in the US and Canada is nothing more than a fully subsidised experiment that is losing freight trains full of money fast.
Toronto wolfpac are doing ok whilst they have some financial benefactors but if they back out its all over. Trouble is there are too many established professional sports to compete with such as ice hockey, gridiron football, baseball, basketball etc.

The financial problems of RL in America have suddenly made the AFL football exhibition games in China look very promising indeed.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Bbear wrote: ↑Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 pm
Rugby League in the US and Canada is nothing more than a fully subsidised experiment that is losing freight trains full of money fast.
Toronto wolfpac are doing ok whilst they have some financial benefactors but if they back out its all over. Trouble is there are too many established professional sports to compete with such as ice hockey, gridiron football, baseball, basketball etc.

The financial problems of RL in America have suddenly made the AFL football exhibition games in China look very promising indeed.
Only if you own a catering tent .
TLPG 🀣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🀣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

was always going to be hard slog trying to get this world cup up and going in the USA>>

tbh i do not think the time is right..

the 2008 and 2013 world cups for rugby league were brilliant

2017 world cup in Australia was not the best however in N.Z and PNG was great
with the emergence of Tonga And PNG winning 3 pool games.

The time to go to North America is when you have a strong teams on the up.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Bbear wrote: ↑Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 pm

Bbear I can see your jealousy from a mile away. Toronto Wolfpacks support in Canada is at the highest level it has ever been.

You see the difference between Ruby League and AFL is other nations relate to Rugby League. Γ‘O OTHER NATION WILL EVER LIKE AFL LOL..
It has been proven time and time again. You cancelled exhibition matches in NZ due to no support and now your just completely embarassing yourselves again in China.

Show me an AFL game in other countries with support like this? It just does not exist. :lol:

Wolfpack Game in Toronto. :cheers: :\:

RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ πŸ‡«πŸ‡· πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
πŸ‡­πŸ‡²
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Bbear
Seniors
Seniors
Team: brisbane bears
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Bbear »

I know I am jealous and biased, must be because I like RL as much as you like AFL, so it's fun to point out the failures of RL and gloat about them, thanks in part the the excellent article posted at the beginning of this thread.
I didn't want a crap name anymore !
Formally RLcrap
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

:(
Bbear wrote: ↑Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 pm
I know I am jealous and biased, must be because I like RL as much as you like AFL, so it's fun to point out the failures of RL and gloat about them, thanks in part the the excellent article posted at the beginning of this thread.
Yeah it is fun to laugh at a how AFL can't grow out of one small populated country. I guess it says a lot about the quality of the game :lol:
πŸ‡­πŸ‡²

UK Rugby League
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: ↑Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:59 pm
Yeah it is fun to laugh at a how AFL can't grow out of one small populated country. I guess it says a lot about the quality of the game :lol:
again, if growth equals quality soccer is a far far better sport than RL. DO you agree with this?
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

NlolRL wrote: ↑Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:37 pm
again, if growth equals quality soccer is a far far better sport than RL. DO you agree with this?
I like both sports, and both have been able to grow at an international level which to me makes a huge mockery of AFLs credibility as a real football code.

Not that AFL ever had much cred to start with lol. =D =D :(/
πŸ‡­πŸ‡²

UK Rugby League
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: ↑Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:16 am

I like both sports, and both have been able to grow at an international level which to me makes a huge mockery of AFLs credibility as a real football code.

Going by your logic soccer is a far superior sport to RL, and easily the best sport in the world.

Speaking of no credibility your logic is flawed beyond belief
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

NlolRL wrote: ↑Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Going by your logic soccer is a far superior sport to RL, and easily the best sport in the world.

Like I said both codes (Soccer & Rugby League) have successfully grown outside of one country. And I watch both codes.

Aussie rules will forever be just a pretend football code that can't grow out of one country. :lol: :lol:
πŸ‡­πŸ‡²

UK Rugby League
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: ↑Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Like I said both codes (Soccer & Rugby League) have successfully grown outside of one country. And I watch both codes.

Aussie rules will forever be just a pretend football code that can't grow out of one country. :lol: :lol:
I think a sport where the predominant method of disposing the ball is throwing is a pretend football code. The term football should at least mean you kick the ball around half of the time.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach

NlolRL wrote: ↑Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 pm
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl wrote: ↑Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I think a sport where the predominant method of disposing the ball is throwing is a pretend football code. The term football should at least mean you kick the ball around half of the time.
Haha AFL players use their hands with the ball all the time. And you don't even play on a football field. :lol:

You guys play your games on a cricket field. Nothing football about that. =D =D :lol:

All real football codes play on a rectangular ground and have one goal with a crossbar on each end of the field.

Not 3 goals on each end where you get a point when you miss. So dumb bro ](*,)
πŸ‡­πŸ‡²

UK Rugby League