The real threat.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Re: The real threat.

Post by Cats_Steve »

You both just answered my original question perfectly and in detail.
And tbf should've put more weight on the fact the place is called Fight Club.
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
post_hoc
Coach
Coach
Team: Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Post by post_hoc »

I guess hearing from a football fan might help matters.......who was i kidding it's not going to help anything but here goes.

AFLCrap is correct, Football and RL have existed for 110 years, we share major grounds, lots of movement in administrators and physios etc etc between the codes. I agree Football is not a threat to RL, just look at the UK, Football dominates RL by a fair margin, but there is room for League (and Union) no real issues.

AFL and Football can't coexist, resources going into AFL strips those resources of going to Football not only at elite levels (Stadiums) but also local levels, AFL ovals or Rectangle Football pitches. Cricket is not a threat as an Oval cricket field fits a football pitch on it nicely and thes easons don't overlap.

AFL won't allow Football to coexist because they know that it will starve the local game of any media, it has no international presence to sustain it, unlike League and Union, it has no athletes to draw from in a ready made state. Union and League can swap players, they have international pools to draw from.

As for the 4th rate local league comment, besides being untrue, it is also irrelevant. Football players move, they have no issues with it, there are 3-4 premier competitions in the world, every other league feeds those. Our best players always move overseas, unless you are German, English or Spanish the same goes for every football player. We have no issues with that. Young people young teens and early 20's, ie the future of all our codes consume media in a very different way, they know the international teams and players, they play FIFA, they watch clips and they stream games from all over the world. Football isn't taking over, it took over decades ago, AFL can't even claim a country, NSW and Queensland couldn't give a stuff about the game. As for the Wanderers it owns Western Sydney, no other club unites the region like they do.

Looking forward to getting back to our home and making Western Sydney Stadium a fortress
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Football has 22% more players than the other football codes combined
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

post_hoc wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:36 pm
I guess hearing from a football fan might help matters.......who was i kidding it's not going to help anything but here goes.

AFLCrap is correct, Football and RL have existed for 110 years, we share major grounds, lots of movement in administrators and physios etc etc between the codes. I agree Football is not a threat to RL, just look at the UK, Football dominates RL by a fair margin, but there is room for League (and Union) no real issues.

AFL and Football can't coexist, resources going into AFL strips those resources of going to Football not only at elite levels (Stadiums) but also local levels, AFL ovals or Rectangle Football pitches. Cricket is not a threat as an Oval cricket field fits a football pitch on it nicely and thes easons don't overlap.

AFL won't allow Football to coexist because they know that it will starve the local game of any media, it has no international presence to sustain it, unlike League and Union, it has no athletes to draw from in a ready made state. Union and League can swap players, they have international pools to draw from.

As for the 4th rate local league comment, besides being untrue, it is also irrelevant. Football players move, they have no issues with it, there are 3-4 premier competitions in the world, every other league feeds those. Our best players always move overseas, unless you are German, English or Spanish the same goes for every football player. We have no issues with that. Young people young teens and early 20's, ie the future of all our codes consume media in a very different way, they know the international teams and players, they play FIFA, they watch clips and they stream games from all over the world. Football isn't taking over, it took over decades ago, AFL can't even claim a country, NSW and Queensland couldn't give a stuff about the game. As for the Wanderers it owns Western Sydney, no other club unites the region like they do.

Looking forward to getting back to our home and making Western Sydney Stadium a fortress
Does help, thanks.

Always up for a calculated response from someone who knows better than me.

I know the AFL will always be conscious of soccer 100% and they should be.

When you say can't co-exist, do you mean codes in respective cities? i.e Melbourne - needs to be one or the other? What's the perception about Melbourne support up there? Obviously I can only speak from my own experience but my general footy loving mates for the most part all like soccer too. I guess I mean supporter-wise why can't they co-exist?
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Cats_Steve wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:28 am
When I was ready to start playing juniors, early 90's, everyone played footy. Simple as that. No matter your heritage, it was almost a given down here. There was a much wider spread of race. Lot's of Italian and Greek representation in particular. (Of course there's always been soccer too, just a much, much smaller market.)

I saw an old friend on the w/e, single mother, and she has an 8 year old. I played with her brothers, and her Dad was a junior coach.

"Nah he plays soccer, a lot of his friends do. Footy is a bit dangerous."

Breaks my heart a bit.

Same issues up North?
Soccer has always been bigger than AFL with participation in NSW.. Is a much more common sense game. This is why it grows so easily wherever it is introduced.

I grew up playing soccer and rugby league.
And even back in school in the 2000s. We had 4 soccer teams to each age group. More than league and union put together.

Is a game anyone can play. You don't have to be skinny and tall like in AFL.
Last edited by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

Yeah nice.

Do you reckon that's a regular view? Do a lot of of RL fans like soccer too and is there much of a "pussies who dive and cry" sort of feel, maybe from RL purists?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I’d hope all Australians, including toddlers, are disgusted by the diving and theatrics soccer players perform for penalties.

It’s a bloody disgrace and I don’t understand why fifa don’t crack down it harder.

A) it looks dumb
B) it’s cheating
C) it’s completely unsportsmanlike
D) it slows the flow of the game

Yellow or red cards should be the norm for those who think it’s a part of the game to roll around on the grass in fake agony like a toddler who’s dropped his ice cream and been told he can’t have another. Send the dickhead cheaters off! And the game will be better for it.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

Interestingly I agree with you wholeheartedly
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

Cats_Steve wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:52 am
Yeah nice.

Do you reckon that's a regular view? Do a lot of of RL fans like soccer too and is there much of a "pussies who dive and cry" sort of feel, maybe from RL purists?
Yeah used to get called *** ball. But saying that the whole pretending to be injured culture was not so big in soccer then.
Was a rougher game, had broken noses from people trying to head the ball as well as a few broken bones from throughout the soccer season.

I think a lot of league fans don't like the A league soccer But a lot watch the UK Premier league soccer. Both games are English remember.

I thought soccer would have always been big in Melbourne? You have so many Europeans there.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
🇦🇺 🇨🇦 🇫🇷 🇳🇿 🇬🇧
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
🇭🇲
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

Yeah it used to get the same name when I was little.

To be fair, I'm 32 so it'd be hard for me to give a good pre-90's opinion.

It definitely had a following and like you say the European presence here dominating that as I grew up. The generation above me seem to like it much less. They are far more likely to watch the Storm.

That's definitely reversed for the generation below me.

I think things changed massively with the '06 WC campaign. I was 20 at the time and absolutely swept away in the hype so I think I had a pretty good view of how things shifted. And for some reasons which are pretty relevant to what you guys preach.
post_hoc
Coach
Coach
Team: Western Sydney Wanderers
Been liked: 0

Post by post_hoc »

Cats_Steve wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Does help, thanks.

When you say can't co-exist, do you mean codes in respective cities? i.e Melbourne - needs to be one or the other? What's the perception about Melbourne support up there? Obviously I can only speak from my own experience but my general footy loving mates for the most part all like soccer too. I guess I mean supporter-wise why can't they co-exist?
Sorry for the delay, when i say 'can't co-exist I don't mean they can't actually exist together, because obviously they can and they are. I mean they can't without tension, they can't without one losing out to the other, resources are more difficult to be shared between them.

Supporter wise they can but time poor people will tend to chose. Your footy friends who follow both, the question is where does their time go? What club do they volunteer with? When asked what sport they watch what do they tend to answer.

I have played and I watch Ice Hockey, but when asked what sport I follow I say football. Because I volunteer at my football club, i coach and administer, I am a member of the Wanderers etc
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Football has 22% more players than the other football codes combined
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

post_hoc wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:22 am
Cats_Steve wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Does help, thanks.

Sorry for the delay, when i say 'can't co-exist I don't mean they can't actually exist together, because obviously they can and they are. I mean they can't without tension, they can't without one losing out to the other, resources are more difficult to be shared between them.

Supporter wise they can but time poor people will tend to chose. Your footy friends who follow both, the question is where does their time go? What club do they volunteer with? When asked what sport they watch what do they tend to answer.

I have played and I watch Ice Hockey, but when asked what sport I follow I say football. Because I volunteer at my football club, i coach and administer, I am a member of the Wanderers etc
I see your point. The codes will always be at war now as soccer continues to chip away.

The people I speak of would all be be AFL people if they had to choose (unlikely to volunteer or administrate anywhere though. Bar donations maybe).
I just feel the affinity for soccer from non-traditional soccer families and supporters down here has grown massively.

I think the this is where the 1 nation comp becomes relevant.

It's pretty obvious we like to get around sport down here and a national team is as good as it gets. The Socceroos (I know you hate that name) are that team.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

some good comments in the thread and i agree with a lot of them..

my point of views are like many..

from grounds to resources to participants to media to sponsors.
soccer's popularity very slow climb to popularity continues..
which of course takes away from the Pie of other sports.
how much... Very Very Small..

with Immigration levels at around the 200k mark and counting.. per year
with 50% plus of them there national sport being Soccer.

very few are being interested in the A League however Soccer playing numbers continue to climb.
and as stated lots seem to have a favorite EPL team in place before A League..

does the A League have room for growth>> most certiantly
has it grown since its inception, in ways yes..

Rugby league benefits from soccer and vice versa with regards to grounds and stadiums
a bigger A League would pump more money in to Stadiums

the 3 footy codes will never compete with soccer for playing numbers..

however and for decades>> league and AFL have always been way ahead of soccer in this country
and mainstream media and hearts and minds.

i see no change in the future for the game of soccer than the way it is at the moment.