The real threat.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

The real threat.

Post by Cats_Steve »

When I was ready to start playing juniors, early 90's, everyone played footy. Simple as that. No matter your heritage, it was almost a given down here. There was a much wider spread of race. Lot's of Italian and Greek representation in particular. (Of course there's always been soccer too, just a much, much smaller market.)

I saw an old friend on the w/e, single mother, and she has an 8 year old. I played with her brothers, and her Dad was a junior coach.

"Nah he plays soccer, a lot of his friends do. Footy is a bit dangerous."

Breaks my heart a bit.

Same issues up North?
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Re: The real threat.

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Soccer has always been immensely popular .
Huge junior numbers .
Does it make it a threat to other sports ...not really .
We've been hearing it for decades ..soccer will take over blah blah .

No chance ...simply because the a league is a fourth rate comp .
All the best talent goes overseas ....
So AUST soccer fans are not watching the best of the best run around each a league season .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:11 pm
Soccer has always been immensely popular .
Huge junior numbers .
Does it make it a threat to other sports ...not really .
We've been hearing it for decades ..soccer will take over blah blah .

No chance ...simply because the a league is a fourth rate comp .
All the best talent goes overseas ....
So AUST soccer fans are not watching the best of the best run around each a league season .

I don't think the local comp matters all that much. Young people have so much more accessibility to any international sport now. It's about more people having it as their favourite code. Growing up with it becoming more prominent.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I concur with Afl crap on this one. I played soccer and bball more than rugby league as a junior. Then tried rugby union and played numerous seasons of Afl. Rugby league still sits as number one for me, simply because the athletes and skill sets they hold are the pinnacle of Australian team sport athletes. There’s no threat from soccer lads who takeoff yonder or the Afl laddettes who resemble long distance runners and are struggling with their core skill of kicking or the slower weaker less skilled toff boy private school elites.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

I assume you just put your phone in your mouth and start chewing on it after a little rant.

You lads come across as so insecure. And for no real reason.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Cats_Steve wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:32 pm
I assume you just put your phone in your mouth and start chewing on it after a little rant.

So errrmm. Lemme get this straight kitty, you make a thread suggesting soccers a mammoth threat because mumsys and dadsys are wuwwied about their widdle boys safety. We say, nah, that’s not a threat. And you get all antsy and call us insecure :lol:

I’m sorry ur argument didn’t turn out the way you hoped bro. I really am. But there’s no point, it simply won’t help no one if we be dishonest to you. It was a shithouse suggestion. Soccers been around in Aus for Yonkers and has made no real inroads. So I’m afraid ur gunna have to take ur story walking pal. :lol: just hold ur head high, learn, and don’t be insecure about it ok?

:cool:

:lol:

xman wrote:
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

King-Eliagh wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:24 pm
Cats_Steve wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:32 pm

So errrmm. Lemme get this straight kitty, you make a thread suggesting soccers a mammoth threat because mumsys and dadsys are wuwwied about their widdle boys safety. We say, nah, that’s not a threat. And you get all antsy and call us insecure :lol:

I’m sorry ur argument didn’t turn out the way you hoped bro. I really am. But there’s no point, it simply won’t help no one if we be dishonest to you. It was a shithouse suggestion. Soccers been around in Aus for Yonkers and has made no real inroads. So I’m afraid ur gunna have to take ur story walking pal. :lol: just hold ur head high, learn, and don’t be insecure about it ok?

:cool:

It's more the fact that you can't string a comment together involving AFL that doesn't involve mindless drivel.

That "Fuckin Gayfl, weak fukn pussies" demeanour.

Simply because you think it's shit? I doubt that highly. And it's those comments with blind and irrational, bordering unnatural hate for AFL that solidify it.

I made a thread suggesting soccer is a threat yes. It is, to everyone everywhere. Multiculturalism spreads, the world becomes more open and there's endless possibilities. Their exposure becomes far more widespread so the big stars of Fifa seem a little more relevant than the local comps. I gave a personal example of one friend and then asked if you have the same issue, yes.

"Mumsys and dadsys are wuwwied about their widdle boys safety."

You say things, just because.... then put up your facade of superiority which only reeks of insecurity.
"Soccers been around in Aus for Yonkers and has made no real inroad"

It's made no real inroads?

It's tell your story walking too.

Quality retort mate.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Whoooaaaahh, whooooaaaah there... eaaassy boyyy. Whoooooaaaaah

“Gayfl” errrm where’d I say that? I said Afl laddettes which we must all agree is a fair enough comparison when we are talking rugby league players vis a vis the generally tall, thin, svelt, long legged, clean shaven lads of the Afl :lol: they are simply more feminine, and I think that’s great for them...have you got a problem with that!? :(/

“Weak pussies” where’d I say that? I said long distance runners but I must agree that facts are Afl players are on average also far... far far far.... far far far far far weaker than nrl players :lol:

Soccer has made no inroads. Yes! Finally you quoted me accurately you unethical fake news spreading liar!! :lol:
Lemme elaborate... in terms of breaking into and threatening Afl and nrl markets soccer has made no inroads. Capiche?

And Mummies and daddy’s are wuwwied yes I said that!! And you basically did too ya blabbering mess! Look if I was there I’d give you a big hug but I’m not! So please just deal with the fact that me and aflcrap can’t see soccer as a relevant threat. And don’t be insecure about it , k?

xman wrote:
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

When you're looking up what demeanour means you may aswell check insecure too because I don't reckon you have a grasp on that one either.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Kitty, I think it’s nigh time you realise that to assume ones demeanour through written text is kinda a foolish thing to do.

You get the drift there buddyo?

Lemme hit ya with the facts once more. Afl players are generally far, far far.... far far far far far far far weaker than nrl players. :lol:

I would never suggest the Afl or Afl players are gay, this just ain’t my demeanour bro so don’t you go assuming and suggesting it is again ok? ;) there’s a lad. In fact I would say it’s kinda the opposite. Seems as tho about 90% of homophobe members of this site come from the Afl persuasion. Not one Afl player has come out as gay. Afl players have openly stated it would not be cool for an Afl player to come out as gay.

So take ur demeanour and shove it where da sun don’t shine you silly clown. :lol:

xman wrote:
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Simple fact is soccer & RL have co existed for over a hundred years in the northern states.
They shared grounds..still do ..so no soccer is no threat to RL

As for afl & the soccer threat .lol
Just look at the reaction from fans media the afl etc when Aust was bidding for the World Cup .
The hysteria was hilarious .
Big fooooody had to have a sub board to handle the mammoth amounts of posting by the insular southerners .
That's what happens when you live in a closed shop .
You fear the outside world encroaching .

🤣
Xman wrote
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

Always a pleasure aflcrap
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors

Post by Cats_Steve »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:35 pm
Simple fact is soccer & RL have co existed for over a hundred years in the northern states.

Just look at the reaction from fans media the afl etc when Aust was bidding for the World Cup .
Big fooooody had to have a sub board to handle the mammoth amounts of posting by the insular southerners .
"Simple fact is soccer & RL have co existed for over a hundred years in the northern states.
They shared grounds..still do ..so no soccer is no threat to RL ".
Such a weak argument. Sorta just saying things for the sake of it like your mate does.

Do you truly believe it's as simple as that or is it just a blind desire to defend your code? Even when it isn't being picked on..

The whole 2nd half of the comment was incorrect.

Do you base Melbourne being a "closed shop" on the fact AFL is only a local game?

Considering the MCG fills for big soccer and even origin matches, and has for many years - I'd hardly say that shows a fear of the outside world approaching.

I don't know which spuds you speak to on Bigfooty. The AFL itself I have no doubt would be stressed.
You reckon the NRL powers look at all the kids playing soccer and just go "nah we'll be right, we use the same grounds and stuff."

We get around anything down here. I don't know anybody that hates soccer. "Nah soccer's boring" being about the worst you hear. 20-30 years ago I imagine that was very different though. I was a Victory member in 12/13 and I really enjoyed it. Good to watch live too. Just don't love it.

I don't think it's a threat to the current generation of fans. I think it's a threat to the next.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Cats_Steve wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am
AFLcrap1 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:35 pm

"Simple fact is soccer & RL have co existed for over a hundred years in the northern states.
They shared grounds..still do ..so no soccer is no threat to RL ".
Such a weak argument. Sorta just saying things for the sake of it like your mate does.

Do you truly believe it's as simple as that or is it just a blind desire to defend your code? Even when it isn't being picked on..

The whole 2nd half of the comment was incorrect.

Do you base Melbourne being a "closed shop" on the fact AFL is only a local game?

Considering the MCG fills for big soccer and even origin matches, and has for many years - I'd hardly say that shows a fear of the outside world approaching.

I don't know which spuds you speak to on Bigfooty. The AFL itself I have no doubt would be stressed.
You reckon the NRL powers look at all the kids playing soccer and just go "nah we'll be right, we use the same grounds and stuff."

We get around anything down here. I don't know anybody that hates soccer. "Nah soccer's boring" being about the worst you hear. 20-30 years ago I imagine that was very different though. I was a Victory member in 12/13 and I really enjoyed it. Good to watch live too. Just don't love it.

I don't think it's a threat to the current generation of fans. I think it's a threat to the next.
Where to start with this rot .
Oh dear .
Firstly ..this is a fight club ..you defend your code .
What do you think this is ..a knitting class?.
& you started this thread ..why..you scared of soccer because rL peopel are not .

You ignore my points by saying it's incorrect ..lol ..get out of the bubble son ..
Here's some facts.
The soccer is taking over crap has been going on for years .
A few years ago the Soccer fans were saying WSWwere taking over WS.
Lol how'd that work out?
The Sydney derby was the biggest rivalry...not just in Syd..lol
But was the biggest in Aust sport...so mNy many lols .its barely a blimp on the radar .

Soccer ratings are very average...that's with clean air..no other sport comepeting with it . The BBl starts & obliterates it .
Feel free to show where any of this is wrong .
As for BF .i don't talk to anyone .
I read it to get my daily dose of comedy .
The anti WC meltdown was massive ....huge .
Why would that be ....lol fear.
LU had a few topics . Not even 10
BF had a sub forum with 1000s & 1000s of anti soccer rants .about 33 pages of topics
Had that stupid old fool reg boggerlooti crushing a soccer ball on the back of the paper down there ...lol that one still gets the giggles .
& seeing as these two forums are the biggest on the net for the respective sports I think it's a fair to assume the mind set of each sports fans.

So no rL people are not worried at all .

As for the Socceroos .. national teams get huge support ...lol fumblers wouldn't kno about that ..

& I repeat RL peopel have no fear of soccer .
It's easy to play ..a hence the huge number of players..it's considered safer by Mums for little kids
Does tat translate to interest as kids get older . Not really .
Does it translate into viewers & attendees at A League games ..nope not really .
I've already explained why thi is .

& now if you think other sports in Melb got much publicity/airtime/ media attention then you are living in another universe l
It's slowly changing ..but vlad & co made sure that afl was it...

🤣
Xman wrote
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Soccer is a great game. I enjoyed playing it and don’t mind watching the odd international game. But it’s got mammoth culture problems which turn off many many Australians. If the soccer boys stopped diving for penalties like Cinderella’s sisters after the slipper we might see more interest. If Australia’s league wasn’t so so so so so far behind the European and other international leagues then perhaps we might see more interest. If Australia’s best didn’t fukk off o/s for the squillions of $$ then we might see more interest.

Kitty? I don’t see any of the things above changing during the next 5generations.

So....you can tell your story walking pal :lol:

And don’t be so insecure about it? :lol: this is a fight club ;)

xman wrote: