Crowds!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Re: Crowds!

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

majority of the clubs own grounds have a capacity of around 18k to 22k (which is quite decent for a rectangle ground)
Parramatta will have the highest with there brand new stadium sitting at 30k

At current
Canterbury
Parramatta
Souths
Tigers
St George exited this last year and returned to there home grounds.

Play at Olympic Pk

But the NRL for last 5+ years have been trying to get the clubs to play at 2 stadiums
like they do in Melbourne for the AFL..

Sydney Stadiums are currently upgrading 3 stadiums
Olympic Pk
Moore park (city)
Parramatta

But fans of clubs do not want this to happen.. as they hate Olympic pk.. (that is right ZERO ATMOSPHERE)
Crap ANGLES) too Far away..
It is suppose to be reconfigured into a rectangle stadium. but this will not start for years.

and at the same time, Suburban grounds are being outdated and struggling
and some are in need of an upgrade..

The CLUBS The Grounds The NRL have been at each other for years over this issue.

it started around Dave Smith Era in 2012 and Greenberg who is CEO currently
still pushing the 2 stadiums idea..

they are trying to copy the AFL with no luck or idea..
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 pm
majority of the clubs own grounds have a capacity of around 18k to 22k (which is quite decent for a rectangle ground)

At current
Canterbury
Parramatta
Souths
Tigers

Play at Olympic Pk

But the NRL for last 5+ years have been trying to get the clubs to play at 2 stadiums

Olympic Pk
Moore park (city)
Parramatta

But fans of clubs do not want this to happen.. as they hate Olympic pk.. (that is right ZERO ATMOSPHERE)
It is suppose to be reconfigured into a rectangle stadium. but this will not start for years.

The CLUBS The Grounds The NRL have been at each other for years over this issue.

What is the big selling point of the 2 grounds thing? They would prefer it just be Olympic Park and the new one? It works now for fans but was by no means a smash success.

Home games were shifted though coz they simply couldn't fit the crowds into the little grounds. It was a slow transition, only as necessary for the size of the club. The AFL made a big clanger by selling Waverley Park, the 80k seat stadium that sat out in the Eastern suburbs.

I've never driven to a game. I'd rather not spend 3 weeks on Punt Rd. I don't really know anyone that does.

I don't know what Sydney's train network is like but the MCG and Etihad are really easy to get to by train, and they need to be.
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

the Big selling point from the NRL
is the only way to increase Crowd numbers.
higher than the 16k avg as it stands

is to play in state of the Art Stadiums..

Being new Developed Olympic (no official date planned)
New City stadium at Moore Park

the big problem is Sydneys Transport network to the 2 major stadiums
does not fit well.

as Sydneys Rugby League clubs are geographically spread across the Sydney metro.
and up to 60 to 80km away..

unlike Melbourne AFL teams all within a ring of each of the city for the 2 stadium policy.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:56 pm
the Big selling point from the NRL
is the only way to increase Crowd numbers.
higher than the 16k avg as it stands

is to play in state of the Art Stadiums..

Being new Developed Olympic (no official date planned)
New City stadium at Moore Park

the big problem is Sydneys Transport network to the 2 major stadiums
does not fit well.

as Sydneys Rugby League clubs are geographically spread across the Sydney metro.
and up to 60 to 80km away..

unlike Melbourne AFL teams all within a ring of each of the city for the 2 stadium policy.
the Melbourne AFL clubs may be based close to the city but the supporters are spread far and wide and will make every effort to attend games. I took a train from Ballarat to the city to see a game one day and the train was full of AFL supporters heading to the same game. They accept attending means 2 hours on public transport
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

Cats_Steve wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:11 pm

At current
Canterbury
Parramatta
Souths
Tigers

Play at Olympic Pk

Olympic Pk
Moore park (city)
Parramatta

What is the big selling point of the 2 grounds thing? They would prefer it just be Olympic Park and the new one? It works now for fans but was by no means a smash success.

Home games were shifted though coz they simply couldn't fit the crowds into the little grounds. It was a slow transition, only as necessary for the size of the club. The AFL made a big clanger by selling Waverley Park, the 80k seat stadium that sat out in the Eastern suburbs.

I've never driven to a game. I'd rather not spend 3 weeks on Punt Rd. I don't really know anyone that does.

I don't know what Sydney's train network is like but the MCG and Etihad are really easy to get to by train, and they need to be.
I'll either drive to a station closer to the city and take a shorter train ride to a game, or drive all the way to the city, get there really early, and walk a fair way to the ground. Either way it's still a bit inconvenient. But that's what you do to watch you club
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

No comparison to Sydney pal. In Melbourne all public transport systems funnel from the outer suburbs into the CBD to drop off points right beside the only 2 grounds used.

The equivalent in Sydney would be to have an 80k stadium in Belmore Park next to Central Station. Won't ever happen.

Homebush should have been blown up after the Olympics & another ground built near a transport hub for GF's, SOO, big soccer, RU & concerts etc only. All the suburban grounds should have been upgraded to 20-25k undercover, modern, all seater stadiums.

They're playing catch up now and never will.
SportCapital
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm-Essendon Bombers-Melbourne Victory
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 76 times

Post by SportCapital »

NlolRL wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:43 pm
Cats_Steve wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:11 pm

At current
Canterbury
Parramatta
Souths
Tigers

Play at Olympic Pk

Olympic Pk
Moore park (city)
Parramatta

I'll either drive to a station closer to the city and take a shorter train ride to a game, or drive all the way to the city, get there really early, and walk a fair way to the ground. Either way it's still a bit inconvenient. But that's what you do to watch you club
The trains work very well, but the trams are the hero. Imo
The world's largest tram network fills all the gaps in the rail network and drops you at the front door, side door or the back door.
And then drops you back within spitting distance of your house.
Well, that's my case anyway.