GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

GWS / SUNS >> How much more dollars

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

25million per year and rising plus all the other incentives does not seem to be enough>>

GWS CEO wants AFL money to keep star players

Eddie slams Giant call for extra cash

GREATER Western Sydney has called for the reinstatement of “six-figure” ambassador payments in footy’s struggling expansion states — but Pies boss Eddie McGuire says “no way”.

GREATER Western Sydney CEO Dave Matthews has called on the AFL to provide "north of a million dollars per year" across New South Wales and Queensland for ambassadorial roles, suggesting it will help keep high-profile players like Tom Lynch at expansion clubs.

Matthews conceded that keeping the best players in the northern states is "a challenge", saying the thought of losing his own marquee stars like Dylan Shiel and Josh Kelly in future years is always at the back of his mind.

However, he believes AFL-funded 'ambassadorial payments' can help clubs like the Suns and the Giants retain their stars, subsequently growing the game in new markets.

Matthews has therefore called upon the AFL to provide additional funding that will further incentivise players like Lynch from returning home once their contracts expire.

"It's a smart investment for the AFL, as we continue to try to push into New South Wales and Queensland, to have profile players in these markets doing additional work," Matthews told SEN.

"The best promotional assets the game has are the players. If you've only got 45 players on the Gold Coast and 45 in Western Sydney and they're unrecognisable and they're not being given the opportunities to promote the game as heavily as they can, then we're selling ourselves short."

The Giants have lost several high-profile names since their inception, with Adam Treloar, Tom Boyd and Taylor Adams all accepting lucrative offers to return to Victoria.

Last season, multi-million dollar contract offers were also submitted to Kelly – with the talented midfielder ultimately re-signing with the club for a further two seasons.

However, Matthews believes the challenge of retaining his star players will become increasingly difficult should the AFL not increase payment offers to players holding ambassadorial roles.

"It's always a challenge," Matthews said.

"I think we've got a strong track record of retaining our players – and we've spilt quite a few across the competition – but we've kept the majority that we wanted to keep.

"But I think free agency presents a real problem for both Gold Coast and the Giants. When you're a young club, you've invested significantly in players for seven or eight years, and just when you're on the cusp of something … that's always in the back of your mind."

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire was the first to rubbish the request, telling News Corp on Friday that "the AFL can't distort the salary cap".

However, Matthews wasn't fazed by McGuire's immediate criticisms of the proposal.

"A lot of the opinion comes from people at clubs who are probably trying to recruit Tom Lynch, so in that sense it's a conflicted argument," he said.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Re: GWS GIANTS >> How much more dollars

Post by Beaussie »

I think the Giants and Suns have a point when you consider the strong go home factor and other clubs circling to take young developing talent. I’d like to see them drop the silly GWS name too and identify more as simply Western Sydney Giants. Sounds silly when you hear commentary refer to them as GWS.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Beaussie wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:13 pm
I think the Giants and Suns have a point when you consider the strong go home factor and other clubs circling to take young developing talent. I’d like to see them drop the silly GWS name too and identify more as simply Western Sydney Giants. Sounds silly when you hear commentary refer to them as GWS.
I agree with your points> that they will find it hard to keep good talent from Vic clubs taking them back home>>

as a crows supporter>> and corporate dollar in Adelaide not really that big.
this also hurts big names players leaving Adelaide to Melbourne with clubs with bigger 3rd party deals..

I would like to see a breakdown of 3rd party deals after cap..
because I think its taking the mickey..

See GWS have a huge 3rd Party offering from business in Sydney.. how much of this is being used.. unsure..

also yes GWS name is shocking.. stupid brand of a name.
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

The AFL can afford the obscene $$$$$$$$ for GWS & the Suns in the short term. However if this years catastrophic drop in ratings continues these teams will be the first to go as broadcast money dries up.

And I don't think the establishment of these teams and the drop in the standard of the game is a coincidence. There simply isn't enough players in Aust for 18 teams. The hoped for rivers of gold playing numbers from Qld & NSW simply hasn't happened despite multi millions of dollars pumped into grassroots in both states. And the attempts to develop players in NZ and SA have been a hopeless failure.

The AFL are currently between a rock & a hard place.....they want expansion but they haven't got enough players to supply an attractive product. They desperately need players from Qld & NSW but they won't get them while the game is a hopeless ugly mess. Same applies to any prospective new fans in those states.

Hopefully Gilty and his mates can take a little time off chasing the junior chicks around the office and get back to business lololololo!!!! God knows they get paid enough to finance a small nation!!!!!
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

valid points..
If League and Union get there act together in grassroots in NSW and QLD
the AFL will find it even harder in these states..

"for me AFL has had a free ride in the state of NSW for the past 10-15 years..
why NRL sat back and did nothing... (things are changing)

the AFL were able to fund expansion sides on the back of Big Tv Deals..

Gee you got to think if they AFL new what GWS and SUNS were like 7-8years on..
would they have loved to rethink there option and not have went along with it....
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

If 2 second expansion clubs in new markets dont make it the AFL will remain strong. The Swans are very strong, WC, Crows, and many Melbourne clubs are massive.

The AFL had a punt at expansion because they had the means at the time. You never know if you never try
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 pm
If 2 second expansion clubs in new markets dont make it the AFL will remain strong. The Swans are very strong, WC, Crows, and many Melbourne clubs are massive.

The AFL had a punt at expansion because they had the means at the time. You never know if you never try
Yep, agree with that. The bigger problem is they have ruined the competition in doing it. Hence the secret meetings and training sessions to try and improve the ugly mess. These expansion attempts have damaged the game.

What was previously seen as an unstopple force now has problems on multiple fronts. Not the least being the standard of the game. If the product is broken no amount of money, promotion or propaganda will help it. This won't be a quick fix.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Terry wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:06 pm
Yep, agree with that. The bigger problem is they have ruined the competition in doing it. Hence the secret meetings and training sessions to try and improve the ugly mess. These expansion attempts have damaged the game.

What was previously seen as an unstopple force now has problems on multiple fronts. Not the least being the standard of the game. If the product is broken no amount of money, promotion or propaganda will help it. This won't be a quick fix.
the expansion teams have nothing to do with the congested style of the game we see today. The 'secret meeting' was to trial possible rule changes, which are going to become common knowledge once decisions are made. Big deal
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I agree too..

The one thing going for them is well its in its 1st year of its 6 year deal..

Channel 7 and Fox are more worried at present than the AFL>
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Strong go home factor . What a crock of shit ...
Poor little mummy boys can't be away from home .
Can't they get on a 2 hr flight to go see mummy if they miss them .

A pathetic excuse
Doesn't seem to worry RL players signed by Melb .

Maybe we breed them a bit tougher .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:23 pm
Strong go home factor . What a crock of shit ...
Poor little mummy boys can't be away from home .
Can't they get on a 2 hr flight to go see mummy if they miss them .

A pathetic excuse
Doesn't seem to worry RL players signed by Melb .

Maybe we breed them a bit tougher .
excuse or not, star players tend to migrate back to their home state, and unfortunately for NSW and QLD they produce less players than the other states, so they are impacted more. I agree it's a stupid reason, but Im not an AFL footballer
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

As a 20 year old if I was getting paid 300k a year to play/work in another state I wouldn't look back .
Plenty of young people left the Easternstates to work in WA in the mining boom ....
It appears afl players are softer than most .

🤣
Xman wrote
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 pm
As a 20 year old if I was getting paid 300k a year to play/work in another state I wouldn't look back .
Plenty of young people left the Easternstates to work in WA in the mining boom ....
it's not players in general, it's a selection of star players who see similar dollars offered by clubs in their home state and decide playing in the city they grew up in is enough to make the change. Lynch from the Suns, one of the best forwards in the game, is currently considering his future and may very well return to his home state, leaving the suns in even more trouble
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Awwwwww my heart bleeds for them .
It's no excuse .

🤣
Xman wrote
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

NlolRL wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:47 am
AFLcrap1 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:56 pm
it's not players in general, it's a selection of star players who see similar dollars offered by clubs in their home state and decide playing in the city they grew up in is enough to make the change. Lynch from the Suns, one of the best forwards in the game, is currently considering his future and may very well return to his home state, leaving the suns in even more trouble
But but but but Gilty kept telling us about all those great players coming out of Qld lolololololololol........you know.....home grown boys that were already at home hahahahahaha!!!!!!

Don't tell me Gilty lied .................no no no no no no .......surely not lololololololol!!!!!!