Super Rugby retrying expansion with a USA team.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves
Team: warriors Hurricanes All Blacks
Been liked: 0

Re: Super Rugby retrying expansion with a USA team.

Post by rugby365 »

good interview the MLR commissioner, rugby league could follow this as well.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

interesting that they have called it Major League Rugby

looking like Union is trying to Take out R.L all together with using the name League in its title.

(in saying I think with Union starting to gain some interest and build will help R.L as well
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves

Post by rugby365 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:37 am
interesting that they have called it Major League Rugby

looking like Union is trying to Take out R.L all together with using the name League in its title.

(in saying I think with Union starting to gain some interest and build will help R.L as well
The league part is in reference to competition like MLB, MLS every pro comp except the NBA has league in the name. The commissioner of MLR use to be the CEO if the Utah MLS team. Also Plenty of rugby comps has league in the name. Japanese top league, celtic league etc

And to be honest there really isn't anything to take out in america, there are currently only 12 clubs in the entire country compared 2600 for rugby
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

yeah fair enough... yep UNION will trounce league in numbers attendance even media wise
way more better ran "internationally"
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves

Post by rugby365 »

yeah and thats why its been able to grow because it has a governing body with Money.

The sevens world cup in San fran this weekend was in trouble because the marketing arm of USA rugby, RIM was broke so world rugby bailed them out and now the tournament has sold over 90k tickets.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

yes i heard was a huge success

https://www.rwcsevens.com/video/mens

what a crowd..
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves

Post by rugby365 »

Yup great crowds - https://www.rwcsevens.com/video/351000

3 days of action, 24 mens team, 16 women's and over 100,000 tickets sold. Safe to say it was a success.
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves

Post by rugby365 »

First MLR team to build their own stadium. Ready for next year. The owners of the DC franchise run an architecture company so expect more to pop up over the years. The comp really is building some strong foundations

http://abc13.com/sports/houston-saberca ... -/3778563/
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I like teams owning there own stadiums..

Cronulla Sharks are the only Professional Team in Australia to own there stadium.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Nearly 9 million viewers watched #RWC7s on NBC in the USA - a record broadcast audience for a rugby event in the country & a strong endorsement of a sport that continues to convert new fans in record numbers

RWC Sevens 2018 sets record rugby broadcast audience in USA

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/354524?lang=en
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves

Post by rugby365 »

really great result considering all the issues leading up to the tournament. Hopefully this will kick start a real push to get get rugby on more tv channels and get USA rugby really get behind the MLR
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

It is a Brilliant result.

Rugby would hoping the networks are licking there lips for a piece of the game..

with a strong USA Team this could really get something big happening for the competition
and internationals
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Rugby would hoping the networks are licking there lips for a piece of the game..

with a strong USA Team this could really get something big happening for the competition
and internationals
Which code do you guys seeing have more success over there? Sounds like Union have the front running which surprises me a bit. A result of Unions governing body getting it done?

I think you said the RL World Cup is there in 2025? With the League International scene - who are the powers that push the game? I have it in my head that the NRL is the worlds premier comp, followed by England. Am I on the money at all?
That'll do for now.
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.
rugby365
Reserves
Reserves

Post by rugby365 »

Cats_Steve wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 pm

and internationals
Which code do you guys seeing have more success over there? Sounds like Union have the front running which surprises me a bit. A result of Unions governing body getting it done?

I think you said the RL World Cup is there in 2025? With the League International scene - who are the powers that push the game? I have it in my head that the NRL is the worlds premier comp, followed by England. Am I on the money at all?
That'll do for now.
Rugby has a big head start with over 2000 amateur clubs as well as highschool, university comps and now a professional comp. league has only 11 Amateur and 1 semi pro clubs nationwide that compete annually. Rugby 7 is now in the olympics which has seen an increase in funding. Personally Rugby will succeed because they just get things done and if it doesnt work they will try again. Denver test was a good example especially by the NRL of what they think of expansion, it was a great opportunity to give the game expose, they got 19k which was a great result but could have got a lot more if they had support from the NRL

Moore sports international has been given the rights to host the 2025 world cup in the USA. There are some doubts due to the lack of activity in the USA, there was plans for a pro comp by moore sports but havent heard anything yet, as well as possible funding issues as NZ and England still haven't been paid for their game in Denver.

NRL are top in regards to attendance and tv money but Super league are way at the bottom. Average yearly attendance is only about 8000 and some of their best players usually jump shit to rugby because of the money on offer, Super League salary cap is only about 3.5m AUS, Rugby in england is about 13m USD.
Cats_Steve
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Geelong
Been liked: 26 times

Post by Cats_Steve »

rugby365 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 am
Cats_Steve wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:22 pm

and internationals

That'll do for now.
Rugby has a big head start with over 2000 amateur clubs as well as highschool, university comps and now a professional comp. league has only 11 Amateur and 1 semi pro clubs nationwide that compete annually. Rugby 7 is now in the olympics which has seen an increase in funding. Personally Rugby will succeed because they just get things done and if it doesnt work they will try again. Denver test was a good example especially by the NRL of what they think of expansion, it was a great opportunity to give the game expose, they got 19k which was a great result but could have got a lot more if they had support from the NRL

Moore sports international has been given the rights to host the 2025 world cup in the USA. There are some doubts due to the lack of activity in the USA, there was plans for a pro comp by moore sports but havent heard anything yet, as well as possible funding issues as NZ and England still haven't been paid for their game in Denver.

NRL are top in regards to attendance and tv money but Super league are way at the bottom. Average yearly attendance is only about 8000 and some of their best players usually jump shit to rugby because of the money on offer, Super League salary cap is only about 3.5m AUS, Rugby in england is about 13m USD.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Is it a regional thing in the US? Like, the New England prominent college sort of area? I can't really picture it being played on the west coast, especially down south.

I would've imagined the faster pace and action of RL would appeal more over there. Even though there is endless downtime in an NFL game, when the clock is running the pace is pretty frenetic.

If they fuck up the 25 wc, what happens? Countries bid again? It goes back to the previous host ala the Olympics?

- More to come
Never realised quite how much hate there was for AFL from our Northern friends.