NRL vs AFL - the sportsmen and athletes thread

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Re: NRL vs AFL - the sportsmen and athletes thread

Post by King-Eliagh »

The evidence is compelling

:lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Storm fans have long thought it but finally the stats have confirmed it - Josh Addo-Carr is the fastest footballer in the country.

Numbers published in the Herald Sun on Sunday revealed Addo-Carr reaches a top speed of 37.8 kilometres per hour.

That reading on the speed gun is faster than any AFL player.

As if that is not music enough to purple ears, The Foxx is setting his sights on being even quicker in 2018.

“I’d like to think so (that I can get faster), there’s always room for improvement,” Addo-Carr told the Sunday Herald Sun.

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/ ... australia/
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:59 am
pussycat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm
NlolRL wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:47 pm

he was a good full forward but definitely not a model athlete. Far from it tbh

If he was the leading goal kicker for 4 different clubs than he wasn't a joke of a player.
youtube him and you'll see he was certainly the class fool. However, as I said, he was a decent full forward. But being leading goal kicker at a club isnt a sign of a champion given each club only has one full forward

The full forward position is given to players with more than some ability I would imagine. Not the sort of place where you would hide your joke player.

Something I've been meaning to ask you LOL. With substitutes running on and off the field 400 times during a match what safeguards have officials put in place to stop innocent spectators from being trampled? :wink:
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am
pussycat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 pm

If he was the leading goal kicker for 4 different clubs than he wasn't a joke of a player.
youtube him and you'll see he was certainly the class fool. However, as I said, he was a decent full forward. But being leading goal kicker at a club isnt a sign of a champion given each club only has one full forward

The full forward position is given to players with more than some ability I would imagine. Not the sort of place where you would hide your joke player.

Something I've been meaning to ask you LOL. With substitutes running on and off the field 400 times during a match what safeguards have officials put in place to stop innocent spectators from being trampled? :wink:
I'm not saying he was a joke player, he was a joker. Full forward, back in the era when Jacko played, was for players with good hands and straight kicks, but not for your best athlete as the position didnt really cover distances beyond 50m from goals. Now days it's totally different
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:20 pm
pussycat wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 am

I'm not saying he was a joke player, he was a joker. Full forward, back in the era when Jacko played, was for players with good hands and straight kicks, but not for your best athlete as the position didnt really cover distances beyond 50m from goals. Now days it's totally different
So you agree with me , Jacko wasn't a joke of a player as Pete made out.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The young Australian currently tearing it up as a basketball player in the US. Is another who Played league in his early years. :cheers:

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Who? Possibly the best aussie basketball talent ever, Ben Simmons, is an AFL fan and he played aussie rules as a kid
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

:(/ Mark geyer v Damian monkhurst - geyer giving away several inches in height and 23 odd kilos in weight.

With such an advantage to the afl Rep I actually thought this one would be close....

Nup!!! :rofl:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 pm
Who? Possibly the best aussie basketball talent ever, Ben Simmons, is an AFL fan and he played aussie rules as a kid
Born in Melbourne,,,,,but
Simmons was raised in Newcastle from the age of 18 months, while his father played and coached in the city. Simmons began playing basketball at the age of seven in the Newcastle Hunters' under-12 representative team and played two more years for Lake Macquarie and Newcastle.[6] While in Newcastle, he also played junior rugby league for the Western Suburbs and South Newcastle in the Newcastle Rugby League, a local rugby league.[7][8]

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Like many elite athletes, Simmons grew up playing multiple sports. As a kid in Melbourne, Australia, the country's football hotbed, Simmons was a standout both in basketball and Aussie rules football. Always the tallest and most athletic boy on his team, he held down the position of ruckman, whose closest analogue in basketball would be center, if basketball were still played in the age of Russell and Chamberlain.

While playing with his Australian junior team until the age of 14, Beverley Hills Junior Football Club -- a juggernaut with future pros -- Simmons won the Best and Fairest award, the equivalent of MVP, in the Yarra Junior Football League.

"He was a gun," says professional Aussie footballer Christian Petracca, who played both football and basketball with Simmons as a junior. "He was an absolute freak. He could jump. He could run. He could kick. He honestly would've been a top-five draft pick had he stuck with football."

Amateurs typically enter the Australian Football League draft at age 17 or 18 -- although the AFL operates some state-level leagues for juniors -- but by that time, Simmons had given up Aussie rules for basketball. Since he entered the NBA as the No. 1 draft pick in 2016, the 6-foot-10 Simmons has come to personify the NBA's versatile, who-cares-what-his-position-is, modern-day supernova.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/2 ... kie-lebron
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Simmons himself credits Aussie Rules with helping his physical development and being able to take on bigger, older bodies in his first year.

“You have to read the movement of the defenders. You have to have great vision,” he told ESPN.

“If your man is open, you try to draw a defender, then get rid of the ball. The ball has to move quickly or you’re going to get tackled.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/baske ... b204a8a5c0
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

He began his carer playing rugby league. He was an elite athlete when he moved to Melbourne.

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

He began his carer playing rugby league. He was an elite athlete when he moved to Melbourne.

Did you know LOL the only Australia to win a premiership ring in NFL was also a junior Rugby League player.

NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 pm
:lol: :lol:
He played RL in under 8's and 10's while his father played for Newcastle NBL team. He then moved to Melbourne and Ben played Aussie rules. He still follows Essendon in Aussie rules. He's been quoted as saying that Aussie Rules helped develop him as an NBA star. He brought an aussie rules football out at NBA training to show the US players how to use it.

Yet you think his stint in RL under the age of 10 was the reason..... :(/ :(/ :(/
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NlolRL wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm
pussycat wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:48 pm
:lol: :lol:
He played RL in under 8's and 10's while his father played for Newcastle NBL team. He then moved to Melbourne and Ben played Aussie rules. He still follows Essendon in Aussie rules. He's been quoted as saying that Aussie Rules helped develop him as an NBA star. He brought an aussie rules football out at NBA training to show the US players how to use it.

Yet you think his stint in RL under the age of 10 was the reason..... :(/ :(/ :(/
After trying to get away with telling half the story your now trying to make out he became a elite athlete after he turned 10 and moved to Melbourne [-( you have serious problems.

By the way LOL what's your Opinion of Damien monkhurst?