Soccer would be massive if Australian teams joined an English League..

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NRL&NFLweLaughATafl
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles and Huddersfield Giants
Been liked: 13 times

Soccer would be massive if Australian teams joined an English League..

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATafl »

While I think the creation of the A league has been great for the sport. I think the biggest thing letting football down in Australia is it not being a first grade competition on the global scale.

You just have to look at the massive crowds and interest when Sydney FC plays Arsenal or Liverpool here.

Not sure how it would be done. But if the A league could somehow attract major European clubs to a short offseason competion in Australia or join an EPL competition with games played in Australia. It would change the face of the competition.
RUGBY LEAGUE 28 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 5 COUNTRIES
πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ πŸ‡«πŸ‡· πŸ‡³πŸ‡Ώ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
AUSSIE RULES 18 FIRST GRADE CLUBS IN 1 COUNTRY
πŸ‡­πŸ‡²
Rugby League in Canada (Toronto Wolfpack)
http://www.torontowolfpack.com

UK Rugby League
http://www.rugby-league.com
docker24
Captain
Captain
Team: Port Adelaide Power
Been liked: 0

Re: Soccer would be massive if Australian teams joined an English League..

Post by docker24 »

Lol reason why aleague is so shit in terms of quality on the pitch and no quality of players down here except 50 year old retiree's from Europe running rings around our Aussie players not because the clubs don't go up against better clubs, its because Australia is the only country in the world with 4 football codes, no money, no grassroots, no big push on the kids, no big academy's.

If you want Aussie soccer clubs taking on European sides, get them to play teams they can match up with like b or c grade European sides.
EST. 1870
precarious
Team: Collingwood

Post by precarious »

There seems little doubt that there would be much more interest in soccer here if it was feasible for Australia to have a team or two in the EPL.

The AFL and NRL and Australia's domestic sporting industry all benefit from:

1. AF and RL having no leagues elsewhere in the world paying much higher salaries (so no significant player drain);

2. big timezone differences with Europe and America (so rival leagues can't usually be shown live in prime time);

3. big geographical distances between here and Europe and America (meaning home and away in the EPL would be infeasible for an Australian team).

Not suggesting that AF and RL couldn't hold their own against other sports. The survival of Gaelic football and the powerhouse of the NFL illustrates that, where available, other football codes can match it with soccer.
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

precarious wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:35 am
There seems little doubt that there would be much more interest in soccer here if it was feasible for Australia to have a team or two in the EPL.

The AFL and NRL and Australia's domestic sporting industry all benefit from:

1. AF and RL having no leagues elsewhere in the world paying much higher salaries (so no significant player drain);

2. big timezone differences with Europe and America (so rival leagues can't usually be shown live in prime time);

3. big geographical distances between here and Europe and America (meaning home and away in the EPL would be infeasible for an Australian team).

Not suggesting that AF and RL couldn't hold their own against other sports. The survival of Gaelic football and the powerhouse of the NFL illustrates that, where available, other football codes can match it with soccer.
Rugby League have around 100 players playing in English and French leagues
from super league to Div 3
post_hoc
Coach
Coach
Team: Western Sydney Wanderers

Post by post_hoc »

why UK? why not La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Eredivisie the list goes on and on on on. The fact that football fans understand but seems to not comprehend by you lot is there are lots of football leagues, there isn't 1 best one, in fact we have competitions to find the best teams from each leagues, then we have another competition to find the best of the best. Champions League then world club cup.

The A league doesn't have to be part of the EPL, why would we, wer aren't English, they won't even let Celtic play in it LOL.

Unlike AFL we can't just make up what ever rules we like this year.
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Football has 22% more players than the other football codes combined
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I don't think An A League side wouldn't even be considered to get into any Soccer League in the world...

Like what do the League it self have to gain from introducing a A League Team..

and even it did.. why would it be popular if it were in a Division 3 comp
because that is how high they would go..
docker24
Captain
Captain

Post by docker24 »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:38 pm
I don't think An A League side wouldn't even be considered to get into any Soccer League in the world...

Exactly,

Imagine some of our aleague sides get thrown into the UK football system, they'd struggle against 1st and 2nd tier. maybe match them with 3rd tier. Australian football is way behind in terms of skill level.

I had my in-laws come from Italy to stay with us, they love soccer/football, my father-in-law was so frustrated watching the aleague when I showed him Australia's version of football, with their terrible one touches and no tactical plays, he ended up preferring to watch AFL with me LOL
EST. 1870
precarious
Team: Collingwood

Post by precarious »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Yeah, not meaning you have no international presence.

Just meant it obviously helps Australian domestic leagues if they can pay as much or more than leagues elsewhere in the world.

If English SL got much more popular, for example, it would be harder for the NRL to retain players because the size and wealth of the UK would hurt player retention.
post_hoc
Coach
Coach

Post by post_hoc »

You mean like how an A League side won the Asian Champions League a few years back, ie a competition for the champion Club teams from the Asian Football Leagues playing each other. So we have won that yet you think the A league teams can't play in an League in the world LOL. Sorry but we have been there already, in fact 3 teams will be there once again this year, and the year after etc.

You really don't have a clue
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 164 times

Post by Terry »

The whole premise of this thread is a moot point. No Australian team will ever join an English League. Distance, time difference, money and playing ability make it an impossibility.

Unfortunately soccer here will always suffer from being compared to the EPL and the other big world leagues - much like basketball who are competing with the NBL.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

post_hoc wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 am

You mean like how an A League side won the Asian Champions League a few years back, ie a competition for the champion Club teams from the Asian Football Leagues playing each other. So we have won that yet you think the A league teams can't play in an League in the world LOL. Sorry but we have been there already, in fact 3 teams will be there once again this year, and the year after etc.

Massive difference playing in a tournament
compared to a season where you are overseas constantly...

and my post was directed at,

why would another league want an A League team in there league..?

everyone knows A League standard.. its shocking..
and would not match the top leagues in the world.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

precarious wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 pm
leeroy*NRL* wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Yeah, not meaning you have no international presence.

Just meant it obviously helps Australian domestic leagues if they can pay as much or more than leagues elsewhere in the world.

If English SL got much more popular, for example, it would be harder for the NRL to retain players because the size and wealth of the UK would hurt player retention.
oh yes agreed,
would definitely affect our comp..

btw welcome to the forum. :))) have not seen you on here before :thumbleft:
post_hoc
Coach
Coach

Post by post_hoc »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 am

Sorry to be so blunt, but it is an idiotic position, there are no 'overseas' teams playing in top leagues anywhere in football, it doesn't happen. The fact that Wellington playing in the A league gives the AFC and FIFA headaches, because it is not really the done thing. Montreal and Vancouver in the MLS is an example but then at least Canada is in the same Confederation as the US.

Is the A league one of the top 3 leagues in the world? NO, but that seems to worry you guys more than any other football fan that I know. When i was young Serie A was the top or one of the top 3, not anymore it isn't. England have one of the top 3 leagues for sure, but they haven't won a world cup since 1966, so it isn't really helping there National team.

I really don't get the point of this discussion.
Football in NSW
- Football 200,868
- AFL NSW/ACT 28,468
- Rugby League 96,041
- Rugby Union 40,685
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

post_hoc wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:28 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: ↑Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 am

Sorry to be so blunt, but it is an idiotic position, there are no 'overseas' teams playing in top leagues anywhere in football, it doesn't happen. The fact that Wellington playing in the A league gives the AFC and FIFA headaches, because it is not really the done thing. Montreal and Vancouver in the MLS is an example but then at least Canada is in the same Confederation as the US.

Is the A league one of the top 3 leagues in the world? NO, but that seems to worry you guys more than any other football fan that I know. When i was young Serie A was the top or one of the top 3, not anymore it isn't. England have one of the top 3 leagues for sure, but they haven't won a world cup since 1966, so it isn't really helping there National team.

I really don't get the point of this discussion.
I agree with everything you say...
and either do I..
docker24
Captain
Captain

Post by docker24 »

Yes this thread is pointless and senseless. Just like most of the threads the thicknecks start.

Socceroos are lol. the Aleague is lol. I must be honest however Australia has come a long way in football, we have improved as a national side and league. But this is how far we can go. We will always be a b and c grade national and club sides.

Our woman in football are our only strength against the world. Our girls are representing us well!
EST. 1870