People of Brisbane Prefer AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

People of Brisbane Prefer AFL

Post by Beaussie »

Looking at the latest tv ratings report courtesy of PBL (Channel 9), in Brisbane more people watched Saturday Night AFL on Channel 10 than Friday Night NRL on Channel 9.

Ch 9 - Friday Night NRL - 179,000
Ch 10 - Saturday Night AFL - 199,000

http://www.pbl.com.au/media/pdf/2005/Au ... k%2019.pdf

Good to see the ratings pick up in Sydney too despite the Swans getting smashed by the Eagles. :(

Back to Brisbane though, not only do the Lions consistently get bigger crowds than the Broncos, it is now apparent that they also have more TV viewers watching their games.

Very positive signs for the AFL and Channel 10 and certainly supports Channel 10 decision to broadcast all Saturday night games prime-time even when the Lions aren't playing. The AFL would no doubt be loving these figures, particularly as the next broadcast agreement is being negotiated.
MAKAVELI
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by MAKAVELI »

Broncos got nailed in the ratings!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Well someone's got to stick up for League here don't they? :lol:

A little research always comes in handy and I always prefer to research a topic or at least seek confirmation on it with others before making a statement. Beaussie, I think you will find that Rugby League beat the AFL in ratings on the weekend. Your statistics are only current until the Saturday night in question. And by reading your post, you were insinuating that the Lions actually beat the Broncos, when in fact it was the NSW City -vs- Country game. MAKAVELLI, in the end it was the Lions and City -vs- Country who got nailed in the ratings.

A summary of Brisbane's Footy ratings which i'm sure will make interesting reading:

Weekend 8, 9, 10 April:

Nine's Friday Night Football (NRL) = 227,000
Nine's Sunday Football (NRL) = 195,000

(No AFL listed in oztam top 50 for Brisbane)

Highet rating football in Brisbane for this week = NRL

Weekend 15, 16, 17 April:

Nine's Friday Night Football (NRL) = 241,000
Nine's Sunday Football (NRL) = 251,000

(No AFL listed in oztam top 50 for Brisbane)

Highest rating football in Brisbane for this week = NRL

Weekend 22, 23, 24, 25 April:

Nine's Friday Night Football (NRL) = 389,000
Nine's Sunday Football (NRL) = 235,000

(No AFL listed on oztam top 50 for Brisbane)

Weekend 29, 30 April, 1 May:

Nine's Friday Night Football (NRL) = 280,000
Ten's Saturday Night AFL = 195,000

Weekend 6, 7, 8 May:

Ten's Saturday Night AFL = 199,000
Nine's Friday Night Football (NRL) = 179,000
Nine's Sunday Football (NRL) = 262,000

References: Publishing and Broadcasting Ltd, The Courier Mail Sports Section, Oztam Weekly Ratings Downloads (subsciption required for most recent ratings weeks).

I would like to know how these statistics suggest that "the people of Brisbane prefer AFL"? :)
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Superb research dizzy's!!!! :D

The man who cried wolf is wolfing loudly of late and im just glad someone else has really given the grown adult an absolute belting for his childish behaviour!

Beaussie your claims are almost always misleading and sloppily put together. Dizzy's has caught you out time after time after time and yet you continue to cry wolf. I think its time you put your tail between your legs and realise we all know your tricks, its not fooling anyone and is making you out as the fool, and as admin of the site this just doesnt look good.

Perhaps you need to stand down as admin and give me, or croc, or dizzy's the reigns? Just so you can rest for awhile, your head must be sore from the poundings you've gotten lately.

Brisbane is league heartland :lol: :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I think its time you put your tail between your legs and realise we all know your tricks, its not fooling anyone and is making you out as the fool, and as admin of the site this just doesnt look good.
That's why I'm considering locking this thread. I'm sick of Beaussie bringing the integrity of this site into disrepute.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: Please call him "the man who cried wolf" Or MOCW for short. I must say dizzy's outpoints him so many times, its different to what i do, dizzy's does the hard work and research, whereas i go off instinct. Its a perfect partnership really. I pounce on him from the gut feeling early on when i 'know' he's full of shit (which happens quite often) and then dizzy's gives him an absolute walloping with the facts. Its better than the ol one two punch in boxing because we dont stop with just a 2 hit combo we continue the thrashing throughout each thread. And the horrible thing is we each could take him on on our own and win convincingly with our superior style. Its just gruesome really whats been happenning lately :lol:

Lock it up/throw in the towel croc, your afl man is pissing out blood and delirious!

xman wrote:
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

No fair I thought the Lions beat the Broncos. :lol:

What the fuck is city v country?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Nup lions dont beat the broncos ever it seems. City v country is a game played with players representing whether they played their junior league in the city or in country nsw and qld i think. Its a game that promotes the sport in country areas, this yr it was played in lismore nsw and got a quality crowd of 72,000 at the game in lismore. :lol:

Really its lost its appeal of late (last 8 yrs or so) as a big game as the state of origin teams are picked well before it by the coaches but its still a good watch for true league fans as the 179000 vieweers in brissy would have found.

xman wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Actually, Queenslanders do not participate in City/Country Origin at all, just NSW players. Specifically, it's a match between the NSWRL (Sydney or "City") and the CRL (NSW Country Rugby League).

Many NSW fans are divided over it's validity. Some like to suggest it is a genuine State of Origin trial, some say it's good for taking the game out of Sydney, and others think it's neither of these and a complete waste of time.

Queenslanders traditionally take no interest in these fixtures. The only interest that this match may bring to them is being comforted in the thought that NSW will be bashing each other up prior to State of Origin.

Personally I believe that the fixture only serves a good purpose when it's taken out of Sydney/Gosford, because the regional areas really love these matches and get behind them far better than Sydney. As for being an Origin trial, I think that's all BS from the coaches to be honest.

Hope that answers your question MAKAVELI.

But back to the topic hand...:D

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
A little research always comes in handy and I always prefer to research a topic or at least seek confirmation on it with others before making a statement. Beaussie, I think you will find that Rugby League beat the AFL in ratings on the weekend.
The figures I posted clearly demonstrated that Saturday night AFL outrated the rugby league on Friday night. There can be no denying that fact.
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Your statistics are only current until the Saturday night in question. And by reading your post, you were insinuating that the Lions actually beat the Broncos, when in fact it was the NSW City -vs- Country game. MAKAVELLI, in the end it was the Lions and City -vs- Country who got nailed in the ratings.
Sorry my mistake about it not being the Lions against the Broncos. Fact still remains that more people preffered AFL on the week in question when looking at Friday night rugby league v Saturday night AFL.

And this crap about City vs Country not being of interest to the people of Brisbane is just that, crap. We constantly hear from leaguies that non-Broncos games rate well. Well I fail to see how this should have been any different, if anything, you'd think more viewers would have tuned in considering the game is a lead in to SoO and I would have thought QLD's would like to see the NSW team hammer each other. I guess not in this instance.
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
I would like to know how these statistics suggest that "the people of Brisbane prefer AFL"? :)
When comparing the Friday night rugby league vs the Saturday night AFL, clearly the people of Brisbane did prefer AFL on the two nights in question.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
No fair I thought the Lions beat the Broncos. :lol:
They consistently do when you look at the crowds. Have been getting bigger crowds for about 7-8 years now.

Crowds I would have thought also demonstrate a real passion/love/commitment to the game that seems lacking in fans of rugby league. Why are rugby league fans so lacking in passion?
MAKAVELI
Team:

Post by MAKAVELI »

You'd think the Lions would beat the Broncos tonight on TV.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

The Man Who Cried Wolf wrote:

Sorry my mistake about it not being the Lions against the Broncos.
Wolf Wolf Wolf :lol:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
The Man Who Cried Wolf wrote:
When comparing the Friday night rugby league vs the Saturday night AFL, clearly the people of Brisbane did prefer AFL on the two nights in question.
Wolf man i think maybe then you should have titled this thread "Brisbane people prefer afl for one weekend out of last 5"?

Dont you think when looking at dizzy's research compared with yours that that title would be more appropriate? I'm just trying to be nice ok, no more granny bashing! :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MAKAVELI wrote:
You'd think the Lions would beat the Broncos tonight on TV.
Will be interesting to see the TV ratings when they're released, particularly with the Lions winning a close one in Adelaide tonight.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

I realise that a portion of this thread is missing due to a site crash and so some ratings comparisons may be missing. But to reinforce my opinion on Beaussie's initial post in this thread I will put forward the latest Brisbane (South East Queensland) ratings installment courtesy of The Courier Mail website. For mine, if there was ever a week where an AFL match would outrate the Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys, or any anything other Rugby League fixture it would be this week. Why, you ask? The answer is simple I believe: Brisbane Broncos -vs- South Sydney Rabbitohs. I have ranked the following NRL and AFL matches by most watched to least watched for convenience.

Nine's Friday Night Football (NRL): 218,000

North Queensland Cowboys -vs- The Bulldogs. Delayed on Channel Nine at 8.30pm.

Nine's Sunday Football (NRL): 186,000

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles -vs- Penrith Panthers. Delayed on Channel Nine at 4.00pm.

Nine's Saturday Football (NRL): 177,000

Brisbane Broncos -vs- South Sydney Rabbitohs. Delayed on Channel Nine at 9.30pm. Previously shown LIVE on Foxsports 1 where it came in as the second most watched program of the week.

Ten's Saturday Night AFL (AFL): 156,000

Brisbane Lions -vs- The Kangaroos. LIVE on Channel Ten at 7.10pm.

Reference: http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/c ... 89,00.html
Beaussie wrote:
not only do the Lions consistently get bigger crowds than the Broncos, it is now apparent that they also have more TV viewers watching their games.
Beaussie, will you continue to stand by this comment?

Formerly Uppy80