Rugby League continues to Lead The Way!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Rugby League continues to Lead The Way!

Post by pussycat »

Peter Beattie‏Verified account @SmartState1 · 2h2 hours ago

Discussions underway to stage an International Nines tournament at the end of the 2019 season.
Players would represent countries rather than NRL clubs.
#nrl
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

I dont like the idea of an International 9's

perfer they promote 13 man game..

But who knows this could help international game.
platoned
Team: Rabbitohs
Been liked: 0

Post by platoned »

Online Media is the future of anything and everything. Of course it is a big deal.

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:18 am
pussycat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am
:thumbleft:

Jonno Simpson 🤓 @JonnoSimpson

@fmcbill The AFL did actually do this 5 years ago. Great to see NRL heading down this path!

Follow

John Stensholt
✔ ‎@JohnStensholt

@JonnoSimpson @fmcbill NRL going further Jonno. Doing all themselves - app building etc - rather than JV with Telstra that AFL has.
so they build their own app. Thats hardly earth shattering. They still have to get people to download it, and all reports have the AFL waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in front on this.
platoned
Team: Rabbitohs

Post by platoned »

leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:29 pm

It can only be international if you get major populations playing it. England is no longer the centre of the universe. NRL needs to look at getting one of the major countires ie Asia, North America, South America, Europe or Africa. INorth America would be our best best.
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

platoned wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:14 am
leeroy*NRL* wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:29 pm

It can only be international if you get major populations playing it. England is no longer the centre of the universe. NRL needs to look at getting one of the major countires ie Asia, North America, South America, Europe or Africa. INorth America would be our best best.
the Prob is Rugby League is one of the most physicist sports out there..
its a huge challenge even to get people to play

i am happy for the game to be played in ENGLAND Parts of UK and France
AUS NZ Pacific Nations and a growing following in Canada
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

The Challenge Cup was played over the weekend..

and for the 1st time in over 120 years a team outside of U.K won it.

being a French Team Catalans Dragons

Catalans Dragons beat Warrington in Challenge Cup final to make history
Catalans Dragons 20-14 Warrington Wolves
French withstand Warrington comeback at Wembley
French team wins rugby league's Challenge Cup for 1st time

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... tch-report

pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

NRL set to smash revenue forecast and post $50m-plus surplus

ByJohn Stensholt,

12:00AM September 3, 2018

The National Rugby League is set to smash revenue and profit forecasts and post a huge surplus of more than $50 million in 2018, ­fuelled by its massive broadcast deal and better-than-expected commercial income.

Rugby league crowds and television ratings have plateaued, but half of the 16 clubs in the competition will at least break even, led by the most financially successful outfit in the competition, the Brisbane Broncos, and the resurgent South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The ASX-listed Broncos should make a full-year profit of more than $3 million while Souths, who finished third on the ladder after the weekend’s action, are on target to make a $1.3m net profit for their owners Russell Crowe and James Packer.

The Broncos were the only profitable club in 2017.

The NRL meanwhile is set to make a record surplus of at least $50m-$55m, a result that could be even higher if popular clubs such as Souths or St George Illawarra win through to the grand final.

The governing body’s revenue should top $530m, a big increase on the $354m result in 2017, though it still is behind the $650m the AFL received last year. Two AFL clubs alone this year, Richmond and West Coast, should make $10m combined.

There are also NRL clubs such as Cronulla, on track to lose $4m despite a finals appearance, that will struggle financially, while others with leagues club funding such as Canterbury, Penrith and Parramatta will have large fiscal losses covered.

But this year’s result will also exceed the NRL’s previous record surplus of $45.3m in 2013 and the AFL’s $48 million surplus in 2017. It also means the game has achieved a big turnaround in its financial position that at one stage last year had it considering taking out a loan before the TV money kicked in. “We will beat expectations and exceed our budget,” NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg told The Australian. “Our non-broadcast income has been strong for us and we’ve had double-digit growth across all categories in that space, which shows we have a strong executive team.”

The NRL claim television ratings have risen about 1.1 per cent and crowds have increased almost 3 per cent, boosted by big attendances in Auckland, Newcastle and the Gold Coast on the weekend.

Both the NRL and its clubs have been boosted by the first year of the code’s record $2 billion broadcast deal with Foxtel and Nine Entertainment Co, which has meant each club has received almost $13m in central grant funding. That in turn has led to eight clubs on the verge of breaking even.

As well as the Broncos and Souths, other clubs performing well financially are Melbourne, the Warriors, Gold Coast, North Queensland, Wests Tigers and Newcastle.

“It has been a very good year off the field for the code,” said NRL chief financial officer Tony ­Crawford. “The clubs are really showing an even greater level of professionalism and achieving some good financial results.”

Big membership increases have driven the good results for the likes of the Storm and Tigers, while the Titans have managed to renegotiate a cut of almost 50 per cent in the rent they pay at Cbus Super Stadium.

“It is hard to make money in rugby league but we made a conscious decision to concentrate on the business side four years ago,” Tigers president ­Marina Go said. “We’ve more than doubled our membership since then. But next year we must make the finals ”

The Storm’s financial strength have been underpinned by good crowds and licensed club revenue.

“We operate in the toughest market given we are the only NRL club in AFL heartland,” said Storm CEO Dave Donaghy. “But it has also given us a good opportunity to have a real point of difference. It should be pointed out too that the money we make off the field goes towards building what we are doing on it.”

Souths have had a big increase in crowd numbers as they surge back up the table, but CEO Blake Solly said commercial income has also been strong.

“We’ve got the Souths Cares foundation and while that is run separately it has a strong connection to the club, and we’ve found corporates really want to be associated with something like that.”

13 comments

Ian
2 hours ago

and still the NRL can't get bums on seats. One AFL match at the MCG is the total of Rugby League round. Most NRL clubs are broke so how does that make the NRL itself look?

Flag

LikeReply

Disco Stu
1 hour ago

@Ian NRL don't care that AFL get bigger crowds. NRL is a much better game to watch on TV than AFL - hence the better TV ratings for league and better crowds for AFL.

Flag

3RickMargoRobertLikeReply

Simon
3 hours ago

Interesting perhaps, but what difference does it make?

The AFL has more reach, twice the average attendance and - increasingly - more appeal with parents, which is where the kids come from.

One year does not a healthy competition make!

Flag

LikeReply

DJ
3 hours ago

this article had the click bait of who is more profitable NRL v AFL, but then uses last years figure for AFL so no one knows the answer. Did I miss something or was it deliberately done so the NRL looks better than it is?

Flag

LikeReply

j
6 hours ago

Rugby Australia should read this and weep. Then they can all fall on their swords and disappear. What a joke.

Flag

1LaraineLikeReply

Hastings Bob
6 hours ago

The NSW government is talking about building new stadiums including for NRL use. If you look back you may notice that new stadiums get built by state governments who are on the nose and seeking to distract the average punter. Is it true that the NRL asked for a smaller stadium so it looked full when shown on TV. The NRL should see how the AFL does it when some club matches can crack the 90K attendance mark.

Flag

1LaraineLikeReply

Karl
6 hours ago

Great results. Now to grow some balls and stop undermining the international game.

Flag

LikeReply

Peter
6 hours ago

@Karl Result!! No "s" One year, read historical figures.

Flag

LikeReply

Peter
7 hours ago

So why then is the AFL second on every line in your chart. More Sydney News Corp Centric. If you included assets over liabilities the AFL would really smash them.

Flag

8AaronIanConradJonathanLikeReply

DJ
3 hours ago

@Peter plus they only used 2017 figure for AFL - which I cannot understand why as NRL was only the forecast profit wasn't it?

Flag

LikeReply

Robert
1 hour ago

@Peter Only a Victorian would notice the lines for a simple comparison and be obsessed with Sydney centric ? We all know AFL is a Melbourne game and we outside that great city put up with Melbourne centric decisions all the time . Actually I think it is too Victorian to be a true national game.

Flag

LikeReply

Peter
8 hours ago

Do rugby league club's earn revenue from poker machines?

Flag

LikeReply

Hastings Bob
7 hours ago

@Peter Almost all clubs of any sort in NSW benefit from pokies.

Flag

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
PerfectToATee
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 1 time

Post by PerfectToATee »

Front page of today’s league biased Daily Telecrap shows how the NRL continues to lead the way in being a national embarrassment :drunk:
Pete_2211
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Brisbane Lions

Post by Pete_2211 »

Oh its bad. Could you imagine drinking with those thugs! Seriously what is wrong with Rugby League players (mainly in Sydney)
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

reason the Journalist did AFL 2017 Season to 2018 Season of the NRL>>

is because in 2017 is the season the NEW TV DEAL kicked in for the AFL
where as the NEW TV DEAL kicked in for the NRL in 2018..

so yes i know it is a different year.. but when you do like for like with the new tv deals begin
it is a clearer match up..
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

This makes it pretty clear that Buzz and his mate Kunty are morons just like all the other AFL supporters :(/

The question really needs to be asked: Gil or Paul merkin, which one is full of more shit?

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

PerfectToATee wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:42 am
Front page of today’s league biased Daily Telecrap shows how the NRL continues to lead the way in being a national embarrassment :drunk:
Lol,
One code has had a shocking year .
& it's not RL..
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
leeroy*NRL*

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

Rugby League is having a Great Year..

Crowds can only continue to go up >>

with 1 new stadium ready for next year
and Cowboys stadium ready in 2020

and the 2 new stadiums getting rebuilt and designed in 2023 completion
times are looking bright Attendances wise..
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:25 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 pm
Lol,
& it's not RL..
One metric - ratings - is not everything, or even worth a "shocking".

Crowds and memberships are up. Revenue will be up.
Never mentioned ratings .
He was talking about the behaviour of drunk players on Mad Mon .

This year th AFL has had a massive amount of negative media due to the behaviour of fans ..players officials etc .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

The_Wookie wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:25 pm
AFLcrap1 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 pm
Lol,
& it's not RL..
One metric - ratings - is not everything, or even worth a "shocking".

Crowds and memberships are up. Revenue will be up.

And I'm sure club handouts will be up also :thumbleft: