Rank the Codes in NSW

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Rank the Codes in NSW

Post by NlolRL »

Pippen1994 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:09 pm
NlolRL wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:57 pm
Pippen1994 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:54 pm

Don't know but if you're equating super rugby final to that of afl grand final you've probably lost argument.
So comparing a final to a final when neither game involved a local team isn't fair?
No, because super rugby final is no where near level of afl grand final. Competition doesn't have a large following & media coverage is such I didn't even know it was on.
Ouch. Way to go RU
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:34 pm
Out of interest what did last years afl grand final rate in Sydney ?

413,000 in Sydney for the AFL

SEVEN’S AFL: GRAND FINAL: RICHMOND V GEELONG Seven Network 2,979,000 413,000 1,583,000 383,000 265,000 335,000

https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/10/saturd ... -2020.html
Brisbane’s average audience was 383k which is the highest Brisbane audience in the last 15 years (since 2004) and the highest ever audience for a non-Brisbane AFL Grand Final. The overall Queensland average audience was 523,000, up 22 per cent on the 2019 AFL Grand Final.

Sydney’s average audience was 413,000 which is the highest figure for a non-Sydney Grand Final in the last 20 years.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/522718/stat ... rand-final
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Well there you go - comparing apples with apples -
Veni, vidi, vici
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Fred wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am
Well there you go - comparing apples with apples -
Yep and now total silence from Pippen and co. :(/
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie
Team: Manly
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Post by NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 »

Beaussie wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:04 pm
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:52 am
AFL is light years behind Soccer is Sydney. That is pretty funny.
Really… hmm you lot love to point out tv ratings as a measure of popularity right??? Well let’s look at yesterday’s tv ratings for Sydney
and compare the codes.

• AFL triumphs as Super Rugby GF airs on Nine

TV Ratings

Seven easily won Saturday night thanks to a smorgasbord board of AFL games with both Sydney teams, and the Gold Coast being broadcast in their respective markets.

The ABC has continued to struggle on Saturday nights since the AFL came to town and the public broadcaster moved The Durrells into the 7.30pm timeslot.

Super Rugby made it off of Nine’s multichannel and onto the primary channel for its Grand Final match up, but didn’t put much of a dent in the AFL.

ABC

The A-League had 44,000 viewers as the Newcastle Jets tied with Syndey FC.

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/weekend-tv ... ay-8-2021/

The Newcastle Jets vs Sydney FC in the soccer rated a pitiful 44,000 on the ABC and 5,000 on Fox Sports nationwide last night. How much of that audience do you think was from Sydney? :rofl:

A-League Fox Sports/ABC

Newcastle Jets vs Sydney FC ABC 44,000 and Fox Sports 5,000

Western Sydney Wanderers vs Western United Fox Sports 12,000

A paltry 12,000 viewers for the Wanderers whilst 71,000 for the Giants on Fox Sports without including the FTA audience numbers on Channel 7. :(/

And then last night, the AFL was broadcast live and prime time on Channel 7 and Fox Sports in Sydney and out rated the Super Rugby Grand Final on Channel 9 and the live A-League on the ABC to win the time slot.

SEVEN’S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL Channel 7 559,000 77,000 240,000 27,000 151,000 63,000

Fox Footy

Melbourne Demons vs Sydney Swans 167,000

Greater Western Sydney Giants vs Essendon 71,000

Yep…. pretty funny indeed aye. :rofl:
Australian soccer will never be a commercially viable option for tv here. The reason is because the A League is not at the same professional standard compared to European leagues. I guarantee if Manchester United came to Sydney to play a game against the Top A league side. It would outsell any AFL club game in Sydney. 100%

The A League All stars got 83,000 here when they played Manchester United in Sydney. That dwarfs any of your Swans or Giants matches. It is actually more than both of them could get put together. I'm still laughing :cool:

First grade clubs Soccer 3
AFL 1.5 GWS is half in Canberra
So your ahead but have less first grade clubs. :lol:

Now let's look at playing numbers. Soccer clubs are everywhere in Sydney

SOCCER CLUBS IN SYDNEY 123
AFL CLUBS IN SYDNEY 23

So soccer has more professional clubs and a 100 more local clubs than AFL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How can you see AFL as more popular when soccer has 100 more clubs than AFL in Sydney?

AFL is shown on 7mate 99% of the time. If it is so popular, why aren't the Swans always shown on 7 at prime time instead of Better homes and gardens? :lol:

Honestly apart from the inner city trendies. Nobody cares about AFL at any major level. If it was ahead of Soccer they would have more than 123 clubs to sustain it's "huge popularity" that you falsely claim.

Plus Sydney has lots of overseas people here... I work with lots in my industry. None of them care for AFL. They all like soccer. And some of the British and Kiwis like Rugby League and Union.

100 more soccer clubs than AFL in Sydney, yes I am still laughing at the AFL fake news that you are ahead of Soccer. :lol: =D

Why am I seeing soccer played on cricket grounds in Sydney? Should'nt AFL be using them. Mate club soccer is that popular at a junior level that is what they are doing. Using other codes grounds.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Agree soccer is popular at a junior level across the country I think. When you look at other measures though like crowds, memberships, revenue, tv ratings, media coverage is soccer still in front of Aussie Rules? If so, I’d say you have a point. I honestly don’t know but do hear soccer rates fairly poorly in general but afl in Sydney isn’t great either. See the afl game outrated the ru grand final the other week which says more of the decline of Union than growth of Aussie rules I think.
Veni, vidi, vici
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 119 times

Post by Quolls2019 »

Yes, soccer is more popular than AFL in NSW, except in ratings, attendance, sponsorship, membership and revenue...but otherwise...
There are lies, damn lies and then there are ratings.
Rugby league, Australias most popular game in some of North Eastern Australia.
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Quolls2019 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:59 pm
Yes, soccer is more popular than AFL in NSW, except in ratings, attendance, sponsorship, membership and revenue...but otherwise...
Membership lol.. Is AFLs membership above the 200,000 paying registered soccer players in NSW?

I am betting soccer is making more money than AFL in NSW with 200,000 players paying to play their game. More than any other state in Australia.

The only thing keeping AFL financially viable in NSW is the AFL itself.
Your almost never shown on prime tv channels in NSW because you don't get the ratings.

General sporting interest, number of players, number of clubs, number of first grade teams. Soccer is well in front

If AFL is so popular, why don't you put a team in the Central Coast & Newcastle?

If Soccer can sustain 5 first grade clubs in NSW why can't AFL? :mrgreen:
You guys can't even sustain GWS in Western Sydney. You have to play in two big cities to get enough supporters lol..
NRL&NFLweLaughATAFL2
Rookie
Rookie

Fred wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:39 pm
Agree soccer is popular at a junior level across the country I think. When you look at other measures though like crowds, memberships, revenue, tv ratings, media coverage is soccer still in front of Aussie Rules? If so, I’d say you have a point. I honestly don’t know but do hear soccer rates fairly poorly in general but afl in Sydney isn’t great either. See the afl game outrated the ru grand final the other week which says more of the decline of Union than growth of Aussie rules I think.
You can't even watch most Rugby Union. You need Stan to watch it.
No sport is going to rate well when you can only really watch most it on a streaming service.
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Parra
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Pippen1994 »

Fred wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:39 pm
Some grand final!? The competition is still running now against kiwi teams. Afl TV ratings aren't growing
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pippen1994 »

All those things are direct result of exposure & millions in marketing & funding. The game pays for it's presence & as soon as it cannot those things will disappear
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Pippen1994 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:08 am
All those things are direct result of exposure & millions in marketing & funding. The game pays for it's presence & as soon as it cannot those things will disappear
And when will that happen?
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pippen1994 »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:15 am
Don't know but odd that you'd boast about placement you pay for
Quolls2019
Coach
Coach

Post by Quolls2019 »

Pippen1994 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 am

Not odd at all, I agree that the 2 newer AFL clubs are dependant on the AFL, more than the Storm are dependant on the NRL...how much is debatable.
But they recoup it on broadcast rights and sponsorship, and when the AFL stops televising against itself, both those things will go up considerably.
It’s all about money, and both teams will be there for the long haul, because long term they are profitable for the league, not necessarily for themselves. GWS need to consolidate/promote their identity much better which will mean dumping Canberra as a part home.

Can Canberra sustain an AFL team? Yes but will need AFL support for some time and perhaps a wider geographical identity.
In the 70’s/80’s I think they would have been a shoo in.

And if the game wasn’t so popular in Melbourne there might well be more clubs interstate.
Been said for many years that Melbourne/Victoria can’t support so many teams, but they keep surviving...and will do so for the foreseeable future.
AFL has only lost 1 club during their national period and the VFl only 1 during their period.
Success and management, yep teams have had some bad times, and at times the league has tried very hard to get rid off, merge or transfer some....but it only happened once, (and in my humble opinion should not have).
How many teams have the NRL, NSW and Qld top level clubs have gone in that time?
Success breeds success, I will agree that rugby league and the NRL are more popular than Australian Rules and AFL in the northern states, but to say soccer beats AFL is stretching credibility...they are in dire straits....and even they know it.
Pippen1994
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Pippen1994 »

Quolls2019 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:34 pm
Pippen1994 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:47 am

Not odd at all, I agree that the 2 newer AFL clubs are dependant on the AFL, more than the Storm are dependant on the NRL...how much is debatable.
But they recoup it on broadcast rights and sponsorship, and when the AFL stops televising against itself, both those things will go up considerably.
It’s all about money, and both teams will be there for the long haul, because long term they are profitable for the league, not necessarily for themselves. GWS need to consolidate/promote their identity much better which will mean dumping Canberra as a part home.

Can Canberra sustain an AFL team? Yes but will need AFL support for some time and perhaps a wider geographical identity.
In the 70’s/80’s I think they would have been a shoo in.

And if the game wasn’t so popular in Melbourne there might well be more clubs interstate.
Been said for many years that Melbourne/Victoria can’t support so many teams, but they keep surviving...and will do so for the foreseeable future.
AFL has only lost 1 club during their national period and the VFl only 1 during their period.
Success and management, yep teams have had some bad times, and at times the league has tried very hard to get rid off, merge or transfer some....but it only happened once, (and in my humble opinion should not have).
How many teams have the NRL, NSW and Qld top level clubs have gone in that time?
Success breeds success, I will agree that rugby league and the NRL are more popular than Australian Rules and AFL in the northern states, but to say soccer beats AFL is stretching credibility...they are in dire straits....and even they know it.
Soccer is number 1 participation sport in NSW & it's not even close. You can talk shit about auskick numbers but ppl are paying to play soccer. The only advantage you guys have is that the sport is broadcast on the most popular commercial network. Soccer doesn't have a marketing campaign atm. Don't mistake money each respective sport is pouring in to popularity