The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.

What is the No.1 Football Code in Australia?

Australian Football
58%
Rugby League
35%
Rugby Union
2%
Soccer
5%

Total votes: 111

pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain
Team: Easts
Been liked: 36 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by pussycat Mark 11 »

That article does plenty of bragging about the AFL but know where in that article did I hear them mention that the AFL had to borrow $60m and still ran at a big loss and are expecting to for the next 4 or 5 years.
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

Still biggest sporting organisation in the country by a mile.
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Demons
Been liked: 136 times

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 pm
That article does plenty of bragging about the AFL but know where in that article did I hear them mention that the AFL had to borrow $60m and still ran at a big loss and are expecting to for the next 4 or 5 years.
Australia is borrowing billions to get through COVID. Hardly a surprise the AFL need to offset the loss of their significant attendance income.

Furthermore, how the fuck is that relevant?
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

So this RL report has found

Rugby League is currently the fourth most popular sport nationally, with 27% of the population claiming a high level of interest
• 13% of the national population claim to have moderate interest in Rugby League and can be referred to as Casual Fans**
• There are fewer Casual Rugby League Fans** than Australian Rules, Cricket, Football (Soccer) and Basketball

Yet despite this… there are still those here in denial? Again, doesn’t matter any… but there it is in black and white.
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

Must be AFL propaganda
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

NlolRL wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:08 pm
Australia is borrowing billions to get through COVID. Hardly a surprise the AFL need to offset the loss of their significant attendance income.

I'm not aware of any other sporting events in Australia that borrowed heavily last year though, I may be wrong there. I'm certainly not aware of any that will post heavy loses for the next 5 years. Then try to make out that there the no1 sport in the country. Even though fewer people watch there matches etc. etc

:(/ :(/ :(/
Australia's number 1 sport RUGBY LEAGUE. Preferred by more Australians than any other :cheers:
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

More people watch in oerson… like actually go to the game. If you are going to state that purchasing foxtel is a significsnt effort than surely getting off your arse, going to the game, spending the money to go, is surely a bigger measure.

I don’t k or anywhere or anyone (apart from you) that disputes that the AFL is the biggest sporting body in Australia. Much bigger than the nrl and arl. You tend to place everything on ratings although they are only one measure….. and even then … it’s obvious when played directly against one another head to head afl 99 percent of the time win those ratings.

What were the figures from last year re: ratings anyway… I couldn’t really care enough to look them up… but didn’t the afl beat the nrl ? Doesn’t AFL win finals in a landslide every year ?

But anyway, you are basing nrl being bigger just by using ratings… which are obviously questionable and murky in the first place whilst excluding all other measures.

Look at the nrl commissioned report…. AFL is used as a benchmark (which I think is a fairly obvious flaw in the report I feel due to afl having a completely different culture in such things as attendance and membership) but it is quite obvious in that report that AFL leads in pretty much all their metrics.
Veni, vidi, vici
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:14 am

I'm not aware of any other sporting events in Australia that borrowed heavily last year though, I may be wrong there. I'm certainly not aware of any that will post heavy loses for the next 5 years. Then try to make out that there the no1 sport in the country. Even though fewer people watch there matches etc. etc

NFL clubs lost a combined $4bil last year due to COVID. Idiot :[]
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-pandem ... enue-loss/
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:41 am
More people watch in oerson… like actually go to the game. If you are going to state that purchasing foxtel is a significsnt effort than surely getting off your arse, going to the game, spending the money to go, is surely a bigger measure.

I don’t k or anywhere or anyone (apart from you) that disputes that the AFL is the biggest sporting body in Australia. Much bigger than the nrl and arl. You tend to place everything on ratings although they are only one measure….. and even then … it’s obvious when played directly against one another head to head afl 99 percent of the time win those ratings.

What were the figures from last year re: ratings anyway… I couldn’t really care enough to look them up… but didn’t the afl beat the nrl ? Doesn’t AFL win finals in a landslide every year ?

But anyway, you are basing nrl being bigger just by using ratings… which are obviously questionable and murky in the first place whilst excluding all other measures.

Look at the nrl commissioned report…. AFL is used as a benchmark (which I think is a fairly obvious flaw in the report I feel due to afl having a completely different culture in such things as attendance and membership) but it is quite obvious in that report that AFL leads in pretty much all their metrics.

Nice posting Freddo. I can see you put a lot of time and effort into this one. Unfortunately you once again come to the wrong conclusions. It's a rookie mistake to call any sport in Australia 'the biggest sporting body'.

In truth the only truly national mainstream sport in the land is cricket. RL is king in NSW and Qld with a total population of 13.798M V AFL in the developing states with 11.888M.

RL wins the award for most watched sport in the land year on year. (Last year was an outlier with victardia under house arrest). RL will easily win again this year.

AFL has more participants than RL. But soccer has more than both. A clear indication that participation is not a reflection of mainstream popularity.

AFL gets bigger crowds. But so does horse racing, tennis, golf, swimming, long distance spitting and just every other activity in the sad developing states. That's more a reflection of what a sad boring place these states are.

In total it would appear I am spot on as usual!!!!! RL is bigger in 54% of the population and gets more eyeballs watching it than fumbling.

I hope that helps ya Freddo!!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

NlolRL wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:07 pm

What was the loss for AFL clubs as opposed to the AFL?
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

The_Wookie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:12 pm
Fred wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:49 pm

AFL clubs had a combined operating profit of $30.9m and a combined consolidated profit of $55.3m

What the helm is pussy taking about then ?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

I realise that intelligence is not your strong point LOL but my post clearly says Australia and NFL is not an Australian sport.
pussycat Mark 11
Captain
Captain

The_Wookie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:12 pm
Fred wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:49 pm

AFL clubs had a combined operating profit of $30.9m and a combined consolidated profit of $55.3m
Clubs were never mentioned. And while the NRL did record a loss it was largely due to Origin being played later in the season and not included in last years Annual Report.
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:43 pm

I realise that intelligence is not your strong point LOL but my post clearly says Australia and NFL is not an Australian sport.
Relevant because even the biggest sport in the world were hit. With the AFL based in Melbourne, the hardest hit of all states by covid, the impact was always going to be significant
NlolRL
Coach
Coach

Post by NlolRL »

pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:43 pm

Well you did imply making a loss means you can't claim to be the country's no1 sport. Maybe tell that to the NFL