The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.

What is the No.1 Football Code in Australia?

Australian Football
58%
Rugby League
35%
Rugby Union
2%
Soccer
5%

Total votes: 111

Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: The No.1 Football Code in Australia

Post by Fred »

truthbomber wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:49 pm
pussycat Mark 11 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:23 pm
:cheers: Australia's most popular sport

Whached by 20m more viewers than its nearest rival :cheers: And will make a huge surplus again this year :thumbleft:
RL will increase its lead from 17 million to over 23 Million in 2023 when it adds 12 more club games to its schedule
the NRL from 8 million to over 14 million

but yea
its numb 2 :hmm:

8-[

:rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/

I think the NRL even acknowledge the afl being the number 1 sport - they are always saying they want to knock the afl off it’s perch.
Veni, vidi, vici
truthbomber
Banned
Team: Cobar Roosters
Been liked: 57 times

Post by truthbomber »

These surveys are to be taken as much notice of as the local madam zora fortune teller at the local side show alley & as accurate.
The results are hilarious & not backed up by anything tangible , If the fumbles & misses GF was 3 times more popular then the NRL GF or State of origin then it would be watched by 3 times more Australians , fact is .. thats FACT .. is its watched by about the same number.
The rest of this nonsense can be dismissed based on that hilarity right there .

The 2 codes are neck & neck overall with each one dominating in its own heartland & this is not changing despite all $$ spent & claims & geared suspect rubbery figures coming from the AWFUL.
Last edited by truthbomber on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Does the NRL see itself as the underdog , the little aussie battler , under rated & under estimated ?
absolutely ..
The NRL is glad its consistently dismissed by the ignorant arrogant derps & fumbles & where we are different is we have no designs on national dominance because it is not achievable.. for either code .. , however we will let the drops & giggles continue thinking it is & wasting their time & money. We will continue to bank money while the singletballers lose it ,
Turn your back on us at your peril :twisted:
Terry
Coach
Coach
Team: Wests Tigers
Been liked: 163 times

Post by Terry »

Beaussie wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:40 am
What is Australia’s Premier Sporting Event?

https://sport.yougov.com/what-is-austra ... ing-event/

With 3 in 4 Australians having some level of interest in sport and facing an abundance of events to choose from, only one can claim the right to being the most popular sporting event in the country.

Over the last few months YouGov Sport went and asked (n=3,161) Australians aged 18+ what their favourite Australian sporting event was. In total 72% said they had one (14 million) while 28% did not (5.4 million).

It probably comes as no surprise to many, but the AFL was rated as the premier event on the Australian sporting calendar with 17% of the votes. Rounding out the top 5 included: The Australian Open (13%), NRL State of Origin Series (6%), NRL Grand Final (6%) and Boxing Day Test Cricket (4%).

That's really great beatup. But TV ratings don't back up this 'survey'. And as all intelligent people know 'surveys' can be manipulated in any way you want to produce a desired result.

Sorry to burst ya bubble pal. Back to the drawing board for you now beatup lololol!!!!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Tv ratings area survey too. But agree, this survey looks fishy.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:28 pm
Tv ratings area survey too. But agree, this survey looks fishy.
Well no there not Freddo ol' boy!!!! FTA TV actually have boxes in houses to measure viewership. Which is then extrapolated out. The problem is the sample is so small its value is questionable.

Fox on the other hand have exact numbers of their broadcasts. Which of course always...........I mean always.......shows Rugby League massively in front of your fumbling game. A much more accurate measure.

In short: beatup's put up surveys. They should be ignored. FTA is better than surveys but should be taken with a grain of salt. Fox is spot on. The gold standard. And Rugby League is King!!

Hope that helps Freddo. Stay safe pal!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I'm pretty sure TV ratings are a survey - a collection of data.

A survey is a research method used for collecting data from a predefined group of respondents to gain information and insights into various topics of interest. They can have multiple purposes, and researchers can conduct it in many ways depending on the methodology chosen and the study's goal.

I was also lead to believe that Fox do not have exact numbers - as I thought this to be true also but was informed that Fox also use ratings box . I, too, was of the belief a few years back that they would be able to take data from their set top boxes as to who is watching what - but was informed this was not the case - so unless things have changed or I was wrongly corrected - I am pretty sure Fox numbers are estimates. But happy to stand corrected.

But again, they are all surveys - as all are a means of collecting data. What they do with that data - well that's statistics.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

TV audience measurement
OzTAM is the official source of television audience measurement for the five mainland metropolitan markets in Australia – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth – and nationally for subscription TV.

OzTAM TV ratings are audience estimates that are based on actual viewing behaviour of 5,250 homes in Australian metro cities. The homes provide a representative sample of the Australian population and when the TV in these homes is switched on, the meter lights up and asks who is watching. Viewers log in and out when they enter or leave the room and the meter gauges all TVs within the home.

Click here to learn more about OzTAM.

RegionalTAM is the ratings provider for television audience measured in regional Australia. RegionalTAM represents panel homes in Queensland, Northern NSW, Southern NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia. There are currently 3,198 homes (Queensland 812, Northern NSW 700, Southern NSW 570, Victoria 651, Tasmania 285 and Regional West Australia 180) representing a potential audience of 7,859,300 individuals.

Click here to learn more about RegionalTAM.
Veni, vidi, vici
truthbomber
Banned

Post by truthbomber »

Fred wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:21 pm
TV audience measurement
OzTAM is the official source of television audience measurement for the five mainland metropolitan markets in Australia – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth – and nationally for subscription TV.

OzTAM TV ratings are audience estimates that are based on actual viewing behaviour of 5,250 homes in Australian metro cities. The homes provide a representative sample of the Australian population and when the TV in these homes is switched on, the meter lights up and asks who is watching. Viewers log in and out when they enter or leave the room and the meter gauges all TVs within the home.

RegionalTAM is the ratings provider for television audience measured in regional Australia. RegionalTAM represents panel homes in Queensland, Northern NSW, Southern NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia. There are currently 3,198 homes (Queensland 812, Northern NSW 700, Southern NSW 570, Victoria 651, Tasmania 285 and Regional West Australia 180) representing a potential audience of 7,859,300 individuals.

Nowhere there does it say its a survey , Terry is right & if you care to look again , FTA ratings they're collated by a black boxes placed in 5250 homes across Aust , representing all 26 Million of us . Its voodoo stuff

STV however is via either the foxtel set top box straight back to foxtel via every home that has them & via an IP address for Kayo
so STV ratings are way more accurate
foxtel know exactly what is being watch by each box or IP address, & i think they give oztam their daily results for reporting

NRL 2021 average 371K
AFL 2021 average 248K

the NRL aggregate STV audience for 2021 200 games X 371K for 74.2 Million
the AFL aggregate , 207 games X 248K for 51.3 Million
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

TV audience measurement

I dunno Freddo........I'm trying to take it easy on ya these days pal!!! But geez you make it hard. This post OF YOURS proves my point. AND DISPROVES YOUR OWN!!

Here is the vital part pal, "TV ratings are audience estimates that are BASED ON ACTUAL viewing behaviour". Surveys are not based on actual behaviour. They are a questionaire, either in writing or verbally. Their accuracy relies on the respondents answers. They could be out and out lies. They might have a bad memory. They mightn't particularly care. They might be actually trying to skew the figure.

FTA numbers are extrapolated out from ACTUAL VIEWING. The problem is its a very small number. Fox, on the other hand, have an exact number.

I really hope this helps Freddo and you can now finally grasp the difference. Oh.............and have a great day pal!!!
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Fred wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:12 pm
I'm pretty sure TV ratings are a survey - a collection of data.

A survey is a research method used for collecting data from a predefined group of respondents to gain information and insights into various topics of interest. They can have multiple purposes, and researchers can conduct it in many ways depending on the methodology chosen and the study's goal.

I was also lead to believe that Fox do not have exact numbers - as I thought this to be true also but was informed that Fox also use ratings box . I, too, was of the belief a few years back that they would be able to take data from their set top boxes as to who is watching what - but was informed this was not the case - so unless things have changed or I was wrongly corrected - I am pretty sure Fox numbers are estimates. But happy to stand corrected.

But again, they are all surveys - as all are a means of collecting data. What they do with that data - well that's statistics.
Terry - see definition of a survey - method of collection data. The set top box is the method - the show, number of people watching and and hours watched is the data.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

truthbomber wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:55 pm
TV audience measurement

Nowhere there does it say its a survey , Terry is right & if you care to look again , FTA ratings they're collated by a black boxes placed in 5250 homes across Aust , representing all 26 Million of us . Its voodoo stuff

STV however is via either the foxtel set top box straight back to foxtel via every home that has them & via an IP address for Kayo
foxtel know exactly what is being watch by each box or IP address, & i think they give oztam their daily results for reporting

NRL 2021 average 371K
AFL 2021 average 248K

the NRL aggregate STV audience for 2021 200 games X 371K for 74.2 Million
the AFL aggregate , 207 games X 248K for 51.3 Million

foxtel know exactly what is being watch by each box or IP address, & i think they give oztam their daily results for reportin

I think this is method is used for internet streaming - there's a whole page on the website about this and how they measure it. This, from my reading does not apply to Foxtel in general (it would if watching on your phone through Foxtel Go).

I am pretty sure your Foxtel set top box - often through satellite or cable - does not feedback data back - this is what I thought but was corrected by Wookie I believe. I am pretty sure general Foxtel ratings come from the same method of using a sample - and not every person watching is counted - it is the same as is done with FTA. But I will check again as bored at work.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Terry wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:12 pm
TV audience measurement

I dunno Freddo........I'm trying to take it easy on ya these days pal!!! But geez you make it hard. This post OF YOURS proves my point. AND DISPROVES YOUR OWN!!

Here is the vital part pal, "TV ratings are audience estimates that are BASED ON ACTUAL viewing behaviour". Surveys are not based on actual behaviour. They are a questionaire, either in writing or verbally. Their accuracy relies on the respondents answers. They could be out and out lies. They might have a bad memory. They mightn't particularly care. They might be actually trying to skew the figure.

FTA numbers are extrapolated out from ACTUAL VIEWING. The problem is its a very small number. Fox, on the other hand, have an exact number.

I really hope this helps Freddo and you can now finally grasp the difference. Oh.............and have a great day pal!!!
Okay - I would make sure you were right before being condescending.

A survey is… The process of using questionnaires and other data collection methods to find out more about a specific group.

The data collected is then organised into quantifiable sets of data for analysis. This may include organising quantitative data, such as numbers or statistics. It can also involve re-defining qualitative answers (descriptive, emotional responses) into quantitative factors.

This organised data is then analysed as a whole. Interpreting the data collected can lead to great insights. These insights tell us more about how a specific target audience may behave or feel.
Veni, vidi, vici
Terry
Coach
Coach

Post by Terry »

Fred wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:52 pm
Terry wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:12 pm
TV audience measurement

Okay - I would make sure you were right before being condescending.

A survey is… The process of using questionnaires and other data collection methods to find out more about a specific group.

The data collected is then organised into quantifiable sets of data for analysis. This may include organising quantitative data, such as numbers or statistics. It can also involve re-defining qualitative answers (descriptive, emotional responses) into quantitative factors.

This organised data is then analysed as a whole. Interpreting the data collected can lead to great insights. These insights tell us more about how a specific target audience may behave or feel.

Nice word salad Freddo 'ol boy lolololololoolol!!!!!!! Have you got the brains trust back to give ya a hand again pal???????

However once again you prove my point. TV ratings are actual, real time facts. FTA then extrapolate them out. Fox are exact numbers. Surveys are self explanatory pal...............they're a survey!!!!

You need to give this one up pal. You're looking ............ummm.............a tad silly my dear friend.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

No - TV ratings are statistics - inferential statistics at that - they take a sample and infer to the population. Again - go to the definition of what a survey is.

Now - how are Fox's ratings collected - from what I read - the same way they collect FTA - with people metres.

You may be confused with content through the internet on devices such as Iphones and Tablets (e.g., Foxtel Go and Kayo) re: exact numbers - but that is not how Foxtel subscription TV rating are done - for instance many people have satellite only connections (like mine) and cable.

Really - gas lighting me.... seriously. Just admit you're wrong.
Veni, vidi, vici