Popularity of AFL and NRL clubs in Sydney

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: Popularity of AFL and NRL clubs in Sydney

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Fred wrote:
I think if you spend a week in Sydney you may realise that the nrl dominates. Afl and swans have done well to get a great niche market. But I guess it comes down to how you define popular but I'm not going to get tied down in such semantics as I said. Just my point of view.
no one is saying the AFL is bigger than Sydney, the claim is the Swans are bigger than some or all of the individual Sydney NRL clubs. Personally I dont think theyre the biggest but they clearly appear to be bigger than some of them

How is a team that averages about 25, 000 Sydney viewers and wouldn't be recognised if they walked down the main street one of the biggest clubs in Sydney??? Your as delusional as swans.
because they consistently get double or even triple the crowds that many Sydeny NRL clubs do. Your TV ratings claim is flawed because it doesnt include foxtel.

NRL ratings of 300k or so arent only one or two clubs supporters. If you were to boke down the viewers into different clubs you may find a similar number or less of supporters for individual teams. For example, I watched 4 AFL games on the weekend, none of which were my team. So taking TV ratings as an indication of a single clubs support is just stupid
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Mal
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Wests Tigers

Post by Mal »

Wow Caitlan X.......Man.......are you a contortionist in the circus? You can twist and turn so much you must work for Ringling Bros.......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I have a question for you......I don't expect an honest answer....LOLOLOLOL. We all know RabbleFL gets crowds twice the size of RL. If crowd size is such a great indicator of popularity why dosen't RabbleFL get twice the TV ratings?? It seems to me they rate about the same although RL is up 30%+ this year.

Now there's something to get your spinning, obfuscating, contorting teeth into!!!!!!!!!!
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Fred wrote:
I think if you spend a week in Sydney you may realise that the nrl dominates. Afl and swans have done well to get a great niche market. But I guess it comes down to how you define popular but I'm not going to get tied down in such semantics as I said. Just my point of view.
no one is saying the AFL is bigger than Sydney, the claim is the Swans are bigger than some or all of the individual Sydney NRL clubs. Personally I dont think theyre the biggest but they clearly appear to be bigger than some of them

How is a team that averages about 25, 000 Sydney viewers and wouldn't be recognised if they walked down the main street one of the biggest clubs in Sydney??? Your as delusional as swans.
because they consistently get double or even triple the crowds that many Sydeny NRL clubs do. Your TV ratings claim is flawed because it doesnt include foxtel.

NRL ratings of 300k or so arent only one or two clubs supporters. If you were to boke down the viewers into different clubs you may find a similar number or less of supporters for individual teams. For example, I watched 4 AFL games on the weekend, none of which were my team. So taking TV ratings as an indication of a single clubs support is just stupid

Its not very far out , if they got 17k at yesterdays game on FTA than they wont get a lot more than 1/3 that number on ptv.

So a team that is watched by 25,000 viewers is bigger than a club watched by 500, 000 viewers [-(
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Thats a total guess though given Swans fans in Sydney would far more likely watch the game on Fox than Ch7.

Now, how the hell are you assuming 500k viewers are all supporters of one club?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

My view is that if you live in a non traditional state you are more likely to have foxtel. This being that you are less likely to get the big games on fta due to local clubs taking precidence (afl anyway) and far less footy shows shown in regular time. That is my experience anyway.
Veni, vidi, vici
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Xman wrote:
Thats a total guess though given Swans fans in Sydney would far more likely watch the game on Fox than Ch7.

So what makes you think they are all swans fans watching the swans?

Derp, goes both ways dopey.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Fred wrote:

There would be more club fans watch a match than regular . So even for the poorest Sydney RL match the total will be hundreds of thousands more than what the Swans get.

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
pussycat
Coach
Coach

Post by pussycat »

Swans4ever wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Swans4ever wrote:
Fred wrote:
Yes, I see what you mean. I just can't see the Swans being the most "popular" club in Sydney given the overall interest in AFL
But why do you keep referring to tv ratings??? Sydney (for that matter RL supporters in general IMO) are more likely to watch ANY RL game on tv- AFL fans in Sydney are more Likley to watch the Swans (although I would say there would be 10-25% that watch any given the game). That is the one fall down in the whole tv ratings argument how can you tell who is watching - is it fans JUST of that club or all RL fans. Try and answer that one. Again the Swans are the biggest because they can meet the most KPI.
Crowds
Members
Revenue
Sponsorship
Merchandise.
Just because they aren't the most watched on tv doesn't mean their not the biggest.

You can tell how manys watching because it breaks the number of viewers down into categories - ie Sydney 25k .
No that's not right I can't claim all 25k because there might be RL fans watching just that game out of interest or fans from opposition clubs or someone who is not even interested in any sport. All you can say is that is the audience- without interviewing them individually you won't know. Another problem is demographics - we don't know where there placed.
So C'Bury gets 400k at there game, at least 250k will be dogs fans, or 10 times what the Swans would get.

Mal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mal »

I see Caitlan X........Man hasn't answered my earlier question. It's either too hard for him or he's off to see Gilligan and the RabbleFL spin department to try and craft an answer. Where are you Caitlan??????
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Xman wrote:

So what makes you think they are all swans fans watching the swans?

Derp, goes both ways dopey.
except AFL fans in Sydney are more likely to follow the Swans where as NRL fans in Sydney have many teams to follow
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Fred wrote:

There would be more club fans watch a match than regular . So even for the poorest Sydney RL match the total will be hundreds of thousands more than what the Swans get.
rubbish. 400k watching a Sydney club on FN doesnt mean there were 400k fans of this club. Most footy fans I know watch FN footy, irrespective of who is playing, and I do the same. If there are 10 teams in one city the make up of the 400k would heavily favour those not supporting the club playing than the other way
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Mal wrote:
Wow Caitlan X.......Man.......are you a contortionist in the circus? You can twist and turn so much you must work for Ringling Bros.......LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

I have a question for you......I don't expect an honest answer....LOLOLOLOL. We all know RabbleFL gets crowds twice the size of RL. If crowd size is such a great indicator of popularity why dosen't RabbleFL get twice the TV ratings?? It seems to me they rate about the same although RL is up 30%+ this year.

Now there's something to get your spinning, obfuscating, contorting teeth into!!!!!!!!!!
Crowd size is one of the indicators, not the only one. Combine it with memberships and ratings you get an overall picture of popularity. The AFL rates better than the NRL, you only have to look at which home and away games are the highest rating each year. Rep games like internationals and SOO have their place, but just like the Olympics, they appeal to occasional viewers who follow a spectacle rather than the sport itself. Cathy Freemans 400m final is a perfect example where 9million people suddenly became athletics fans. Was it really about the athletics? i dont think so
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

Mal wrote:

Because RL fans are tight arses and would never pay to watch!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
pussycat wrote:
Xman wrote:
Fred wrote:

Its not very far out , if they got 17k at yesterdays game on FTA than they wont get a lot more than 1/3 that number on ptv.

So a team that is watched by 25,000 viewers is bigger than a club watched by 500, 000 viewers [-(
Then post proof that this audience is all from that club!! Your full of BS - if it wasn't for TV RL would have died 10 yes ago!
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Mal
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mal »

Caitlan X.......Man. Pretty lame but but buts today pal. I really thought you'd come up with something more than that. You didn't answer the central question......I guess it was too hard for ya.

You still cling to the lie that RabbleFL out rates RL......but of course you don't count the GF, SOO, internationals or anything that in your idiocy isn't "apples for apples"....what a dill......LOLOLOL.