Popularity of AFL and NRL clubs in Sydney

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
leagueiscrap
Banned
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Popularity of AFL and NRL clubs in Sydney

Post by leagueiscrap »

Fred wrote:
Hi all. Thought I'd drop in. Been reading the posts and not much has changed lol.

Now, let's keep it real. Afl is a long long way behind nrl in Sydney, and yes, whilst the swans have a good following and built a nice niche in a foreign market, to say they are the most popular is a bit of a stretch. Sure we could argue semantics but let's just keep it real. The day they show the afl footy show at a decent hour and other footy related content on main TV then, maybe then, it may indicate the progress afl has made on Sydney. In saying that, the nrl would love to have the presence afl has in Sydney, in Melbourne. Both with the storm and at grass roots where rl is so very tiny it would be equivalent to say maybe gridiron ... Baseball would possibly be bigger.

But Sydney the most popular ... Hardly .
the swans stats vs other NRLOL clubs say other wise :thumbleft:
Australian sporting sponsorship
AFL excess of $50m
A league $30 million plus
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
and she still changes your nappies as well!
pusseycat replys
Only when I have an accident.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think if you spend a week in Sydney you may realise that the nrl dominates. Afl and swans have done well to get a great niche market. But I guess it comes down to how you define popular but I'm not going to get tied down in such semantics as I said. Just my point of view.
Veni, vidi, vici
Xman
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 0

Post by Xman »

Fred wrote:
I think if you spend a week in Sydney you may realise that the nrl dominates. Afl and swans have done well to get a great niche market. But I guess it comes down to how you define popular but I'm not going to get tied down in such semantics as I said. Just my point of view.
no one is saying the AFL is bigger than Sydney, the claim is the Swans are bigger than some or all of the individual Sydney NRL clubs. Personally I dont think theyre the biggest but they clearly appear to be bigger than some of them
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I think the word used was most popular - which is a bit different to bigger. financially, the swans are doing very well and much better than a lot of NRL clubs. No doubting that. They have also got a rusted on level of support that many NRL clubs would love. But when it comes to popularity - I think it is a stretch to say they are the most popular - successful - yes - in a business sense (I'm not saying most successful), but most popular? One could argue one feeds into the other - but again, when they start rating higher in Sydney (although we can only speculate to Fox numbers) then maybe the popular argument may gain more traction.
Veni, vidi, vici
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

Fred wrote:
The afl has its growing market, but we are comparing the swans vs other nrlol clubs, not afl vs nrlol in shitney
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Yes, I see what you mean. I just can't see the Swans being the most "popular" club in Sydney given the overall interest in AFL
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Xman wrote:
Fred wrote:
no one is saying the AFL is bigger than Sydney, the claim is the Swans are bigger than some or all of the individual Sydney NRL clubs. Personally I dont think theyre the biggest but they clearly appear to be bigger than some of them

How is a team that averages about 25, 000 Sydney viewers and wouldn't be recognised if they walked down the main street one of the biggest clubs in Sydney??? Your as delusional as swans.
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

Fred wrote:
Yes, I see what you mean. I just can't see the Swans being the most "popular" club in Sydney given the overall interest in AFL
But why do you keep referring to tv ratings??? Sydney (for that matter RL supporters in general IMO) are more likely to watch ANY RL game on tv- AFL fans in Sydney are more Likley to watch the Swans (although I would say there would be 10-25% that watch any given the game). That is the one fall down in the whole tv ratings argument how can you tell who is watching - is it fans JUST of that club or all RL fans. Try and answer that one. Again the Swans are the biggest because they can meet the most KPI.
Crowds
Members
Revenue
Sponsorship
Merchandise.
Just because they aren't the most watched on tv doesn't mean their not the biggest.
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Let's not confuse biggest with most popular though. Swans are going great guns... No doubting that but let's be real hear.... Most popular ?
Veni, vidi, vici
pussycat
Coach
Coach
Team: The Shanghai Sharks
Been liked: 32 times

Post by pussycat »

Swans4ever wrote:
Fred wrote:
But why do you keep referring to tv ratings??? Sydney (for that matter RL supporters in general IMO) are more likely to watch ANY RL game on tv- AFL fans in Sydney are more Likley to watch the Swans (although I would say there would be 10-25% that watch any given the game). That is the one fall down in the whole tv ratings argument how can you tell who is watching - is it fans JUST of that club or all RL fans. Try and answer that one. Again the Swans are the biggest because they can meet the most KPI.
Crowds
Members
Revenue
Sponsorship
Merchandise.
Just because they aren't the most watched on tv doesn't mean their not the biggest.

You can tell how manys watching because it breaks the number of viewers down into categories - ie Sydney 25k .
Rugby League, the dominant force in Australian sport! :cheers:

"I do like annoying the Victorians; they are so easy to get, At times I've looked at them and had a giggle." Peter V'Landys
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

pussycat wrote:
Swans4ever wrote:
Fred wrote:
Crowds
Members
Revenue
Sponsorship
Merchandise.

You can tell how manys watching because it breaks the number of viewers down into categories - ie Sydney 25k .
Lol so the team with the most members and fans who turn up each week, some times with more people at the ground than what register's on the ratings boxes! Lol yeah pissy cat how accurate is that!

There is a reason why the swans earns millions more than any.other nrlol club with sponsorship! Idiot!
Sponsors want their product seen!
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol what has sponsors got to do with popularity .

When a SYd RL team plays in Syd there are anywhere from 200-500k watching in Syd
When the swans play ..Lol if they break a 100k watching in Syd it's a massive achievement

Wh . Because the. Syd RL team is far more popular .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

Fred wrote:
Let's not confuse biggest with most popular though. Swans are going great guns... No doubting that but let's be real hear.... Most popular ?
No not most popular Ivwill conceded that - biggest club is the Swans - but popularity is difficult to quantify for any club. In Sydney it would have to be between Paramatta, Canterbury and South Sydney.
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

pussycat wrote:
Swans4ever wrote:
Fred wrote:
Crowds
Members
Revenue
Sponsorship
Merchandise.

No that's not right I can't claim all 25k because there might be RL fans watching just that game out of interest or fans from opposition clubs or someone who is not even interested in any sport. All you can say is that is the audience- without interviewing them individually you won't know. Another problem is demographics - we don't know where there placed.
leagueiscrap
Banned

Post by leagueiscrap »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Lol what has sponsors got to do with popularity .

When a SYd RL team plays in Syd there are anywhere from 200-500k watching in Syd
When the swans play ..Lol if they break a 100k watching in Syd it's a massive achievement

Wh . Because the. Syd RL team is far more popular .
lol FFS your an idiot!
why do the swans get millions more in sponsorship than any other NRLOL team :wave:
Sponsors want their product seen?
AFL excess of $50m
ARU $27 million
NRLOL $25 million

Leagueiscrap
pusseycat replys