All broadcasters keen for a piece of the AFL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

All broadcasters keen for a piece of the AFL

Post by Beaussie »

With Nine, Seven, Ten and Foxtel all keen, imagine what the rights will go for? Looking forward to seeing the huge bid from Ten and Foxtel. It's going to be huge, huge I tell yas. =P~
Nine could go after as many as two AFL games each week, with the sport becoming a higher priority after the company moved to buy the Nine stations in Perth and Adelaide in 2013.

Seven shows four matches live and will almost certainly not lose its high-rating Friday-night and Sunday-afternoon matches. Nine could bid for one or two Saturday matches or any shows on Mondays or public holidays.

Having missed out on the NRL, Ten could be part of a huge Foxtel bid for all AFL matches. Fox Sports had attempted to leverage Ten into the NRL negotiations, while Seven had been particularly keen on State of Origin rights.

Seven remains the firm favourite for the AFL rights, with Foxtel needing to maintain its ownership of the pay-television rights to all nine games each week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-an ... z3iRtnOGMS
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: All broadcasters keen for a piece of the AFL

Post by eelofwest »

Yeah nice little puff piece to try and create tension.

Nine’s record $925m NRL deal ‘puts pressure’ on AFL rights negotiations say media buyers
Media buyers have welcomed the NRL deal, which sees the TV network paying $185m a year for the rights between 2018 and 2022, up 76 per cent on the previous deal which saw Nine pay $105m a year, but warned it piles the pressure on the AFL to secure a similar price rise.

“The AFL will become critically important,” Mark McCraith CEO of Maxus told Mumbrella today. “The other networks are now going to have a red hot crack at the AFL.

“For Nine they are the home of the NRL and clearly it is a good thing for them, particularly with the extra Saturday, and as a tentpole for their scheduling it will just reaffirm confidence that buyers have with their network.”

Starcom Medivest CEO Chris Nolan warned: “This puts more pressure on the AFL to get their increase because they are looking for a 50 per cent increase on their rights. This will put pressure on them to get that from Seven and Ten.”

Their comments come as NRL CEO Dave Smith trumpeted the deal today telling reporters it was “the biggest deal in Australian free-to-air history”.

“This deal is worth $925m over a five year period and to put that in some perspective for you that is nearly as much as we secured for the entire rights deal last time,” said Smith, who noted that the pay-TV, overseas and digital rights negotiations were yet to conclude.

Sources have suggested that Nine believes it can break even on the deal, although media buyers have cast doubt on this noting the price rise will put significant pressure on the TV network’s sales team to deliver new value.
Simon Ryan
No money left in the kitty... :lol:

Simon Ryan

“In terms of the money it is a very high price,” said Simon Ryan CEO of Carat. “At $925m with four games Thursday-Sunday the ratings are going to have to be pretty substantial in the markets that watch the NRL to justify that money.

“They will have to chase pretty hard to get sponsorship dollars to help bridge the gap however, overall ratings are what is important here.”

“I would be amazed if they were able to monetise it,” said Peter Horgan CEO of OMD. “But it is obviously a strategic imperative particularly with the threat they were facing from News/Ten it is an important hold.”

It is thought that Nine is still in talks with the AFL to see if it can secure at least one game per round, although buyers were sceptical whether the TV Network would have the money to secure a Saturday night fixture.

The combination of AFL and NRL would allow Nine to put NRL on in the northern states and AFL on in the Southern states and demand a premium across all markets.

Ryan told Mumbrella: “If they did AFL Nine would have to get Saturdays and that would help bring the gap across the other markets and help them dominate nationally around live sport.

“The issue will be around affordability.”

Starcom Mediavest’s Chris Nolan agreed saying: “You would have to think (Nine getting AFL) would be less likely now.

“What this deal does do certainly put more pressure on the asset to provide a return to the network. Obviously they will get that through increased advertising into the event and that may put pressure on the networks to leverage the asset not just with the NRL but leveraging it across its total formats.”

The NRL has also signalled that the TV network was looking at broadcasting some games in HD, noting that Nine was looking at a “multichannel strategy”.

“I know Nine is thinking carefully about its multichannel strategy and they’ve got some exciting plans,” Smith said.

Nine has previously drawn fire for its previous refusal to put games on HD channel GEM claiming “technical difficulties” prevent the network from utilising the technology.

The new deal also give Nine the streaming rights to those four games it will broadcast, which may make the rest of the NRL rights less attractive for current digital holders Telstra.

However, in the press conference today Smith said they had been “talking to all the streaming companies and technology companies” around the rights, signalling there could still be intense competition for them.
http://mumbrella.com.au/nines-record-92 ... ers-311077

Sorry Pal Smith went early on TV rights to remove that tension away from your negotiating process

Its just Ten and Seven now derpballers.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The NRL wants Fox Sports to show all eight games live but will have to compensate Nine for any matches that are simulcast. One source said Nine could save $30 million annually if all four of its matches are also shown on pay television.

That figure would also help Nine's bid for any AFL matches.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-an ... z3iSBkkQD5
Oh dear, the NRL looks set to have to compensate Channel 9 if Foxtel simulcast games. That compensation money could be used to bid for the AFL. Not looking so rosy a deal now is it. :(/
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

My prediction .is Bea true to form will do a runner & avoid this thread when reality sets in .

Why do aflol fans believe every little bit of propaganda .
They just lap it up without question .
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Good stuff, now the swans and lions will have competition each and every weekend on FTA TV, something they haven't had in absolute decades.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol .
Those 30-50 k home town ratings will halve .

🤣
Xman wrote
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

AFLcrap1 wrote:
Lol .
Those 30-50 k home town ratings will halve .
Don't think so. In fact, my point proven by Friday night AFL that already goes up against live NRL and no noticeable change in ratings for Swans
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

we could see a lot more swans lions games in the day time now
AFLsforPussies
Coach
Coach
Team: Manly Sea Eagles-Wakefield Wildcats-England FC

Post by AFLsforPussies »

eelofwest wrote:
Yeah nice little puff piece to try and create tension.

Nine’s record $925m NRL deal ‘puts pressure’ on AFL rights negotiations say media buyers
Media buyers have welcomed the NRL deal, which sees the TV network paying $185m a year for the rights between 2018 and 2022, up 76 per cent on the previous deal which saw Nine pay $105m a year, but warned it piles the pressure on the AFL to secure a similar price rise.

“The AFL will become critically important,” Mark McCraith CEO of Maxus told Mumbrella today. “The other networks are now going to have a red hot crack at the AFL.

“For Nine they are the home of the NRL and clearly it is a good thing for them, particularly with the extra Saturday, and as a tentpole for their scheduling it will just reaffirm confidence that buyers have with their network.”

Starcom Medivest CEO Chris Nolan warned: “This puts more pressure on the AFL to get their increase because they are looking for a 50 per cent increase on their rights. This will put pressure on them to get that from Seven and Ten.”

Their comments come as NRL CEO Dave Smith trumpeted the deal today telling reporters it was “the biggest deal in Australian free-to-air history”.

“This deal is worth $925m over a five year period and to put that in some perspective for you that is nearly as much as we secured for the entire rights deal last time,” said Smith, who noted that the pay-TV, overseas and digital rights negotiations were yet to conclude.

Sources have suggested that Nine believes it can break even on the deal, although media buyers have cast doubt on this noting the price rise will put significant pressure on the TV network’s sales team to deliver new value.
Simon Ryan
No money left in the kitty... :lol:

Simon Ryan

“In terms of the money it is a very high price,” said Simon Ryan CEO of Carat. “At $925m with four games Thursday-Sunday the ratings are going to have to be pretty substantial in the markets that watch the NRL to justify that money.

“They will have to chase pretty hard to get sponsorship dollars to help bridge the gap however, overall ratings are what is important here.”

“I would be amazed if they were able to monetise it,” said Peter Horgan CEO of OMD. “But it is obviously a strategic imperative particularly with the threat they were facing from News/Ten it is an important hold.”

It is thought that Nine is still in talks with the AFL to see if it can secure at least one game per round, although buyers were sceptical whether the TV Network would have the money to secure a Saturday night fixture.

The combination of AFL and NRL would allow Nine to put NRL on in the northern states and AFL on in the Southern states and demand a premium across all markets.

Ryan told Mumbrella: “If they did AFL Nine would have to get Saturdays and that would help bring the gap across the other markets and help them dominate nationally around live sport.

“The issue will be around affordability.”

Starcom Mediavest’s Chris Nolan agreed saying: “You would have to think (Nine getting AFL) would be less likely now.

“What this deal does do certainly put more pressure on the asset to provide a return to the network. Obviously they will get that through increased advertising into the event and that may put pressure on the networks to leverage the asset not just with the NRL but leveraging it across its total formats.”

The NRL has also signalled that the TV network was looking at broadcasting some games in HD, noting that Nine was looking at a “multichannel strategy”.

“I know Nine is thinking carefully about its multichannel strategy and they’ve got some exciting plans,” Smith said.

Nine has previously drawn fire for its previous refusal to put games on HD channel GEM claiming “technical difficulties” prevent the network from utilising the technology.

The new deal also give Nine the streaming rights to those four games it will broadcast, which may make the rest of the NRL rights less attractive for current digital holders Telstra.

However, in the press conference today Smith said they had been “talking to all the streaming companies and technology companies” around the rights, signalling there could still be intense competition for them.
http://mumbrella.com.au/nines-record-92 ... ers-311077

Sorry Pal Smith went early on TV rights to remove that tension away from your negotiating process

Its just Ten and Seven now derpballers.

Haha so true. What made him think Ch 9 would want AFL when they already spent a lot more than they expected to secure free to air NRL rights.
Ch 9 is now no chance in putting in a serious bid for AFL.
Growing Rugby League in the USA.
http://www.usarl.com

ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

I can't see 9 doing much with the AFL, maybe put in a decent bid just to make 7-10 pay a bit extra so they don't get it too cheap (cheap as in undervalued thus gifting 7 a big sport cheaply). Not cheap compared to other sports tho, prob get around the 1.4-7 billion.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

Dave Smith has lunch with the men he said no to - including Rupert Murdoch

A day after getting right up the nose of Rupert Murdoch, NRL boss Dave Smith ended up having lunch with him.

Oh to have been a fly on the wall at posh Rose Bay restaurant Catalina on Tuesday afternoon when Smith joined the 84-year-old News Corp supremo and about 100 other heavy hitters.

Also in the room were Murdoch's son, Lachlan, and Fox Sports boss Patrick Delaney, who was said to be furious with Smith about the stunning $925 million broadcast deal between Channel Nine and the NRL announced on Monday morning.

Murdoch snr's not-so-secret soiree for News executives, key advertisers and media buyers had been organised well in advance of the Nine deal. But the timing of the lunch could not have been more intriguing.
Advertisement

Uncle Rupert arrived in Sydney on Monday to learn of the NRL's deal with Nine, which now places News' Fox Sports in an invidious position as it will now have to "pay through the nose" to ensure all eight league matches are broadcast live on the network from 2018.

"No, Dave wasn't the most popular person in the room," revealed one source who was present. "But they were all very professional."

Smith's counterparts from the other major codes – David Gallop from FFA, Gillon McLachlan from the AFL and Bill Pulver of the ARU – were also in attendance, no doubt shaking their heads in disbelief at Smith's stunning coup with Nine boss David Gyngell. :wink:

There was some speculation floating around that Nine's deal had been turbo-charged by Souths co-owner James Packer, whose late father Kerry knew better than anyone about the gold to be found in live sport.

There is also much finger pointing happening at News Corp's Holt Street bunker, with most of them directed at former chief executive Kim Williams, who relinquished the media company's "first and last rights" to the NRL until 2027 when the last broadcast deal was struck.

He was being branded by some within News on Tuesday as "the man who just lost us rugby league".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/dave ... z3iaX6SQ6K
leeroy*NRL*
Team: St George Illawarra Dragons
Been liked: 67 times

Post by leeroy*NRL* »

:lol:
I wonder what Idiot head David Gallop is thinking about all these Big Deals
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The_Wookie wrote:
My prediction: everyone is counting chickens before they hatch. Even the NRL folks.
Yep, they've never beaten the AFL before and all of a sudden since signing a deal early, they think history is changing. :(/
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

The_Wookie wrote:
I think Nines dream is to get some AFL on the main channel in the South and West
That's exactly what I've been reading since Channel 9 took ownership of Channel 9 in Adelaide and Perth. They are desperate for something that rates. Clearly that is not NRL.
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Lol .

Smell the fear .
Poor Bea mustn't be sleeping too well since the deal was announced .

🤣
Xman wrote