Televised games

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Televised games

Post by King-Eliagh »

After another beaut game of league last night that went down to the wire again I'm thinking the nrl have picked their televised games smarter than the afl. The melb game was a trouncing and wasnt much to watch geelong played awful and so were some of last weeks televised afl games. Whereas the panthers storm was a great watch with both teams showcasing great skill in front of a massive penrith crowd of 32000. Great stuff nrl!!!

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

AFL: Melbourne -v- Geelong - Crowd 51,793

NRL: Penrith -v- Melbourne - Crowd 14,844

Sometimes I wonder why you and Beaussie are friends as all you do is "bait" him.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
AFL: Melbourne -v- Geelong - Crowd 51,793

NRL: Penrith -v- Melbourne - Crowd 14,844
Pretty telling stat there. :(/

In any case the AFL releases their draw in what October of the previous year. The Channel 9 run NRL release theirs 5 weeks prior to a match. :roll:

Pretty fucked if you're a footy fan who would like to plan your travel to an away game interstate. Perhaps that goes some way to explaining the pathetic NRL crowd figures.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Sorry guys must have been a typo on the crowd. Croc beaussie does plenty of baiting. Just give him 6 beers and he'll frustrate the hell out of a goldfish :lol:

xman wrote:
footygeek
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by footygeek »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Sorry guys must have been a typo on the crowd. Croc beaussie does plenty of baiting. Just give him 6 beers and he'll frustrate the hell out of a goldfish :lol:
Gand if i could give rep. Damn hell i would for that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

footygeek wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Gand if i could give rep. Damn hell i would for that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Footygeek? What the hell is this all about?

xman wrote:
Scorger Man
Reserves
Reserves
Team: Richmond Tigers

Re: Televised games

Post by Scorger Man »

King-Eliagh wrote:
After another beaut game of league last night that went down to the wire again I'm thinking the nrl have picked their televised games smarter than the afl. The melb game was a trouncing and wasnt much to watch geelong played awful and so were some of last weeks televised afl games. Whereas the panthers storm was a great watch with both teams showcasing great skill in front of a massive penrith crowd of 32000. Great stuff nrl!!!
Absolutely agree with you, although the Fitzroy/South Melbourne game did go down beyond the final siren.

Looking at some of the matches that the NRL have televised this year, their choices have been way better then the AFLs' selections. We've had golden points, field goals, outstanding plays and underdogs getting up which is what Australians want to see.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Scorger Man wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
Absolutely agree with you, although the Fitzroy/South Melbourne game did go down beyond the final siren.

Looking at some of the matches that the NRL have televised this year, their choices have been way better then the AFLs' selections. We've had golden points, field goals, outstanding plays and underdogs getting up which is what Australians want to see.
As I said earlier, Channel 9 chooses which games will be televised 5 weeks in advance. Hardly a good situation for the footy fan that wants to travel interstate to see their team play. No cheap flights with only 5 weeks notice. Then again the NRL really isn't much more than a provincial competition.

Oh and it isn't as if the Channel 9 game is always great. How about Souths v Newcastle on Sunday. :roll:

I personally would hate to see the day that the AFL is dictated to by a TV network, let alone half owned by such a network. Not good for your average footy fan. Surely you'd agree.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie wrote:
Scorger Man wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

I personally would hate to see the day that the AFL is dictated to by a TV network, let alone half owned by such a network. Not good for your average footy fan. Surely you'd agree.
Yes well said scorger man. Beaussie :lol: you have claimed before that the afl is big business and that money basically 'is' the game! I have pointed out the negatives that massive corporate sponsorship deals have dealt out to the game. Now I wouldnt be surprised, infact im almost certain the reason the tewlevised games are picked 5 weeks in advance is due to the networks dictating the show. I also love how the players and umps have to wait until the t.v guys switch on the light to let them know when the ball up can take place :lol: You're very naive indeed if you believe the afl is not dictated by television networks. Actually went to a game once where the lil light they switch fucked up, the umps and players didnt know what to do :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Beaussie :lol: you have claimed before that the afl is big business and that money basically 'is' the game! I have pointed out the negatives that massive corporate sponsorship deals have dealt out to the game. Now I wouldnt be surprised, infact im almost certain the reason the tewlevised games are picked 5 weeks in advance is due to the networks dictating the show.
What haven't you read anything I've posted? I've already said Channel 9 dictates to the NRL what time games will be played, hence the NRL draw only being updated every 5 weeks. :roll:

The AFL on the other hand release their draw in October of the previous year. Hardly a case of Channel 9 telling them which games have to be played when. You keeping up with all that junior?
Glory and Fame
Team:

Post by Glory and Fame »

Beaussie wrote:
In any case the AFL releases their draw in what October of the previous year. The Channel 9 run NRL release theirs 5 weeks prior to a match. :roll:

Pretty f***ed if you're a footy fan who would like to plan your travel to an away game interstate. Perhaps that goes some way to explaining the pathetic NRL crowd figures.
It's got to be a factor, especially when interstate travel's concerned.
Even for other events like weddings, parties etc; AFL fans have been able to time those events for months knowing there won't be a clash. For NRL fans, it's a matter of setting a date then waiting and hoping it doesn't clash.

Still, can't complain about the Kangaroos v Collingwood game that was picked last October for Friday night telly. Sensational game decided by less than a kick, with more than 51,000 fans at the MCG.