Soccer... Biggest threat to afl is No. Football code?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Soccer... Biggest threat to afl is No. Football code?

Post by Fred »

Could soccer ever dethrone the afl as the number 1 football code in this country? Gallop reported it as a goal but is it feasible. I know the head of the nrl also has stated this as an aim ... Is this more realistic

Go for it dazza and dave
Veni, vidi, vici
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 0

Re: Soccer... Biggest threat to afl is No. Football code?

Post by NRLCrap1 »

Soccer already is isn't it?
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

NRLCrap1 wrote:
Soccer already is isn't it?
8-[

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

:?>

:lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[] :[]

yeah phelpsy
cwapper reckons it already is .....I mean, he's right isn't he

:lol: :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:
Could soccer ever dethrone the afl as the number 1 football code in this country? Gallop reported it as a goal but is it feasible. I know the head of the nrl also has stated this as an aim ... Is this more realistic

Go for it dazza and dave
when it can beat the Lingerie Football League for TV veiwers :lol: :lol: :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<>

we'll discuss then wether it will challenge anyone else
K dickhead :wink:

until then

thread fail :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: The Scottish Puffins
Been liked: 75 times

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Well when Soccer decides to revert back to winter & take on the major winter sports & hold its own then they can dream about being NO1.

The only rival they have in Summer is Cricket & they are getting slaughtered.

simply put ,it is a popular sport junior wise,with huge numbers,but because the best players all head overseas then the A League will remain a 4th rate comp.
The takeover Talk is all pie in the sky stuff ..alot like the same Zealous AFL takeover talk.
TLPG 🤣liar extraordinaire
You should thank me for publishing your IP

and I never published any actual IP. That's it.
🤣
I was a mod at the time .
Xman wrote
I also gave them to TLPG believing he was still a mod.I admit I made a mistake.
:^o :^o
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Good point afl crap re summer winter ... Until then hard to tell.

Not sure who the afl are trying to take over however ?
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Don't you read Adam or cwappers lies.

AFL is taking over NSW & QLD..
Apparently its only a matter of time .

🤣
Xman wrote
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:

ummmm
everyone else dickhead :(/ :(/ :lol: :lol: :_<> :_<>

it was their plan in the late 70's
become as big as it can & throw cash in the hundreds of millions ( ney it'd be ova a billion ) at attempting to convert nthners & become the sport of choice for the majority of Australians

RL nearly wrote itself off for them in 1997 8-[
but
has bounced back & is as popular as ever in 2014
ending the VFL's dream of national dominance

what a shame eh :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Nope, not taking over ... Making in roads ... Particularly on Gold Coast.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Afl still number 1 ... This according to nrl head person? I think that has been good for the nrl as they are now doing stuff to improve its standing
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Phelpsy wrote:
Good point afl crap re summer winter ... Until then hard to tell.

:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :(/
You have to bind or deaf to not see the comments by fans,here ,on the Roar ,at Bigfooty.

read some of the media..

Fox Sports commentator Dermott Brereton has warned rugby league that Greater Western Sydney will win a premiership in five years and become the city's most popular team.

Speaking at the Jack Newton Classic, the Hawthorn legend turned commentator said the NRL had no idea "what is about to hit them" and said GWS would take over Western Sydney.

"The AFL is going to make sure that this thing works," he said. "They have the cash and I don't think anyone from Sydney understands what they are in for. Rugby league will be the loser."

Brereton says only Penrith general manager Phil Gould is aware of the threat the AFL poses and the rest of the rugby league community should be worried.

"Rugby leaguers don't really know what they're allowing to happen in their own backyard. It's an incredible sport, it's very catchy and they (the AFL) are going to pump so much into it. It'll be big.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... z2tR8izWwM

& fan lap this shit up ...its like a cult..anything said is Gospel.

🤣
Xman wrote
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

heres one sport that won't be challenging anyone for anything :shock:

Rugby Yawnion in this country is officially

Fucked 8-[

19 Million in losses in the last 2 years for the ARU
& now having to levy the kids that play it to pay their bills ... [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(

another sport that had designs on eliminating Rugby League when it turned professional in 1995

" ten years .. & there'll be no RL " .. toffballers said back then :wink:

well lads
what happened ?

a code on its knees is Rugby Union :cool:

Dire state of the union
PUBLISHED: 15 hours 57 MINUTES AGO | UPDATE: 11 hours 32 MINUTES AGO

John Stensholt

It used to be the hottest ticket in town. A Bledisloe Cup rugby union clash between bitter rivals Australia and New Zealand would be a certain sellout and television ratings would go through the roof. Ten years ago, a year after the huge success of the 2003 World Cup, the Wallabies prevented the All Blacks from even scoring a try in a famous 23-18 win in front of 83,418 spectators at *Sydney’s Stadium Australia.

The live telecast on Seven West Media saw a peak national audience of more than 1.4 million. In winter, rugby union challenged rugby league for second place in national popularity behind AFL.

How dramatically a game can change.

From soaring attendances, heavy media coverage and a place in the national imagination, the popularity of rugby has *collapsed, and with it the financial standing of the organisation behind the game – Australian Rugby Union.

Attendances and television numbers have been falling. Last year, the Bledisloe Cup match at the same stadium in Sydney drew 68,765 spectators, leaving patches of empty seats all around the huge arena.

Television broadcasts, with the rights having been passed from Seven to Network Ten via Nine Entertainment Co in the intervening years, are attracting less than half the number of viewers it did a decade ago. And adding insult to injury, the game’s winter-time popularity has fallen behind soccer.

Rugby is in almost desperate financial straits, as shown by the move by ARU to controversially levy $200 from every club in the country to help the sport get through the tough times. It is only $200 per club, but the principle has caused uproar among the rugby crowd.

And as it does tension is rising over who is responsible; the former chief executive, John O’Neill, does not take kindly to criticism of his regime – and reveals to AFR Weekend his exit agreement included a rarely used “non-disparagement agreement”.

The reason for rugby’s woes?

Australia, though currently ranked third in the world, has struggled to beat New Zealand and South Africa – rivals at provincial and national level. And audiences prefer to watch winners.

Meanwhile other sports, especially AFL, have spent up big to win the hearts and minds of fans, notably in the game’s heartland of NSW and Queensland.

Struggle financially

Below the Wallabies national side sits five Super Rugby franchises, which collectively struggle financially, given the expense of constant travel to South Africa and New Zealand, including heartland state NSW.

The man whose job is to turn this around is ARU chief executive Bill Pulver.

He’s a year into the job after taking over from predecessor John O’Neill and readily admits the code has issues as the word *“crisis” gets bandied around in public when describing the travails of the game.

But he believes he can fix the problems and rugby can again thrive.

“If someone wants to describe it as a crisis, well that’s their word,” Pulver tells the AFR Weekend during an expansive interview in the ARU’s Sydney headquarters ahead of the first Super Rugby games for the Australian teams next weekend.

“When you say the game is in crisis, well, from the playing perspective it is going in a very healthy direction and we just need to sort out the administration. And we will.” At national level, Pulver says the Wallabies are moving in the right direction under new coach Ewen McKenzie, who oversaw a spring tour to Europe late last year that saw the side scored 17 tries in five tests, compared with three the year before.

Off the field, among Pulver’s plans is a lucrative new broadcasting deal, a considerable boost to sevens rugby leveraging off inclusion in the 2016 Olympic Games and a new club-based national competition to be launched later this year.

As many tests as possible – 15 this year alone – will be played too, given they are the best source income for the ARU.

Players’ pay cut

But the list of financial problems for rugby is a long one. The ARU itself is cash-strapped despite healthy income from a lucrative tour by the British and Irish Lions to Australia in 2013.

The organisation has cut $6 million in total from salaries and development programs, and the players have agreed to a swingeing 20 per cent pay cut.

Combined, the five Super Rugby franchises lose at least $5 million annually, with only the Queensland Reds consistently profitable in recent years. The ARU’s broadcast deal with Fox Sports Australia and Ten is easily the lowest in value among the four football codes and cricket.

And crowds are falling at international and Super Rugby level amid complaints about whistle-happy referees blowing for too many confusing scrum penalties that lead to too many penalty goal kicks.

Pulver, optimistic and enthusiastic for the task ahead of him, says there is light at the end of the tunnel. Rugby just has to go through some painful adjustments and endure about two more years of financial misery first. The Lions tour, featuring nine sell-out games including three tests, boosted ARU revenue to $140 million and left the organisation with a cash balance of $10 million at the end of the year.

This year, without the Lions, revenue is set to drop to about $100 million and half that cash balance is forecast to be gone.

But it is 2015 when the pain will really hit home. Due to calendar restrictions the Wallabies will only host two tests before the World Cup in England late in the year, meaning despite a $15 million compensation payment from the International Rugby Board, ARU revenue for 2015 is projected to reach only $80 million.

A few dollars short

“We’re on our way to being a few *million dollars short [in cash] in 2015,” Pulver admits. Put simply, rugby’s cost base is not in alignment with its revenue. And won’t be for several years.

Exactly who is responsible for the predicament rugby finds itself in is a vexed issue. Yet as ARU and rugby diehards worry over the future of the game, the current and former chief executives have told AFR Weekend the problem was not necessarily one of their making. Pulver says he was well briefed by chairman Michael Hawker when he arrived into the job last year, but admits “what was a little surprising was the magnitude of the financial challenges”.

He also says his brief was to “reunite and re-energise rugby, in that order” because there had been “an increase in the friction between the ARU and the Super Rugby franchises and the state unions”.

Whispers around the sport lay at least some of the blame at the feet of O’Neill, now chairman of Echo Entertainment, an at times polarising figure who ruled the game during its glory days of the late ’90s and early last decade before an unhappier return to the helm between 2007 and 2012.

The talk is the ARU budget blew out for several years, causing the predicament that rugby funds itself in today – though several current board members were also in place well before Pulver arrived on the scene.

Former ARU chairman Peter McGrath says the board was long aware of the issues but there was not the “collective will” across the game to make changes, until now.

O’Neill, not surprisingly, does not believe he should be burdened with all the blame, telling AFR Weekend: “I’m keen for all parties to remember that the ARU and I have a mutual non-disparagement agreement that we entered into about 18 months ago when I exited the game. For my part I intend to comply with my obligations.

“The ARU is also aware of board material from 2008 to 2012, including a roadshow presented to all the states and Super Rugby franchises in late 2010 that clearly predicted where the game was heading financially in 2014-15 and suggestions for some remedial action.

“Included in that was suggestions to address the cost of the professional game that included cuts to the Super Rugby *[franchise] grants and the reduction of the percentage of income that went to players.

“Why decisions were not taken not to progress with those matters is not something that I want to comment on.”

Pulver’s problem

But what is clear is that it is now Pulver’s problem to deal with. Pulver says the controversial $200 per club levy is a necessarily evil in lieu of drastic action such as asking for a government bailout. “The most logical outcome is a user-pays concept. Those enjoying it, participation in the game, should be the ones helping bail us out.

“Now, the difficult sell for me is that they haven’t created the problem; it isn’t their fault. But I’m asking them to help.”

A new and richer broadcast deal is crucial, and Pulver is extremely bullish that with the demand for live sport, he can get a big uplift for a new deal for 2016 onwards that will be signed this year.

He wants to foster competition from all networks for the rights, for which Fox and Ten pay about $25 million annually under a contract expiring in 2015.

“I don’t think they pay enough,” Pulver says. “They’re great partners and have a bought a lot of innovation to the game.

“[But] soccer gets $40 million [annually], rugby league gets $200 million and AFL $250 million. So I think we’re substantially undervalued.”

Media analyst Steve Allen, however, has some doubts, pointing out Seven and Nine have both had the rights in the past and given them up. He says the Australian public marks rugby more harshly than other sports and will switch off if the Wallabies or Super Rugby sides aren’t winning.

“I’ve looked at rugby for many years and its always been a problem. It was less of a problem in the halcyon days. But union is still predominantly a Sydney and Brisbane product. It just doesn’t sit in the national broadcast landscape.”

Pulver says new content can help achieve higher rights. A national club competition with eight to 10 teams held over three months will launch in August with $1.5 million sponsorship from Foxtel, which will also pay production costs.

Teams will be expected to cover other expenses and players, having already agreed for test payments to be cut from $14,000 per match to $10,000, will essentially play the competition for no additional income, making it as cost-neutral as possible for the ARU.

Pulver also wants a structural overhaul of the way the sport is governed, with the ARU to have more control over decision-making around the country, for now the domain of the states, which will help implement his plans. He likens it to a corporation with branch offices.

“If we get the strategy right and the structure right, we can do anything,” he says.
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:

inroads with who ?

the ex pat dribblers who watched the shit in the place they came from originally ?
that's a false dawn fuckwit

a

false

dawn

the beliefs of cultists count for nothing :cool:
Last edited by Raiderdave on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I do recall some nrl types expressing concern over the afl's expansion into western Sydney and blasting the nrl for not doing anything ... A guy called Philip Gould I think was real worried... Even got upset that k hunts first goal was shown on his show .. The roast ??? As mentioned, I believe the afl move into western Sydney was good for nrl.
Veni, vidi, vici
AFLcrap1
Coach
Coach

Post by AFLcrap1 »

Yesterdays sport on Foxtel.

Sydney FC v Perth Glory: 75,000
Carlton Blues v North Melbourne Kangaroos: 100,000
NRL 9's (Morning session): 167,000
NRL 9's (Afternoon session): 206,000

https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS

So a regular season game on STV got beaten by a pre season Fumblegame & Lapped by the NRL pre season comp..
OOOOOHHHHHHH look out its taking over..

🤣
Xman wrote