NRL triples the VFL's profits in 2013

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

NRL triples the VFL's profits in 2013

Post by Raiderdave »

:shock:

:(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol:

how bout a few of these my fumbling bumbling friends :\: :\: :\: :\:

the NRL has smashed it outta the park
wow
just wow

took us just ONE year to embarrass the VFL's financial results of less then 13 million in profits ..... :compress: :compress: :\: :\: :\: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:

ARLC eyes $40m surplus to invest in game’s future

John Stensholt

The Australian Rugby League Commission is set to record a financial surplus of up to $40 million this year
, much of which will be diverted into the sport’s investment or future fund.

ARLC chief executive Dave Smith told The Australian Financial Review the forecast result would be in sharp contrast to 2012 when the organisation recorded a $3.5 million loss after impairments and other adjustments.

“The sport will finally have money in the bank,” Smith says. “Last year we made a loss and basically the business had no assets. So it is a big change.”

It has been a baptism of fire of sorts for the former Lloyds International CEO since he started at the ARLC on February 1.

He has faced criticism from radio host Ray Hadley and Sydney newspapers, as well as having had to deal with an investigation into rugby league, which focused on National Rugby League club Cronulla, by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority literally from his first day on the job.

Yet Smith is enjoying his role though he is reluctant to give credence to some of the criticism he has faced, including being inaccessible to the media.

“I’ll accept the feedback and move on,” he says. However, Smith points out that crowds are up 6.5 per cent in 2013 compared to last year and that ratings on Nine Network have improved by seven per cent. There was also impressive growth in visitors to NRL.com and viewers of NRL matches on digital platforms.

To top it off, the NRL is in the first year of a five-year broadcast deal with Nine, Fox Sports and Telstra worth a combined $1.2 billion.

Smith moved last week to restructure his executive team, including appointing highly regarded Canterbury chief executive Todd Greenberg as his head of football and creating seven divisions that will report to him.

Strategic goals

Although he is reluctant to say the organisation was lacking a proper structure when he arrived in February, Smith does say his revamp is necessary for the ARLC to fulfil its strategic plan aims, including having $225 million in its investment fund by 2017, doubling non-broadcast revenue and achieving increases in crowd, TV ratings, membership and participation numbers.

“There’s no doubt with the structure in place when I got here, we would not be able to reach the goals in our strategic plan.

“The restructure is about giving people responsibility and decision-making powers that will enable the organisation to grow. Make no mistake, there is plenty of growth to come for rugby league.”

Many of the strategies that he will be applying, including the new organisational structure, have been gleaned from what he learnt at his previous role at Lloyds.

“There is a lot of similarities between running a large and complex company to a federated sport such as rugby league, which is also complex but is more publicly facing”.

At Lloyds he had to cut the company’s exposure to risk commercial real estate to focus on its core businesses of asset finance and commercial banking.

“One of the reasons I got the (ARLC) job is my organisational capabilities. In my previous job I took over a distressed business, had to restructure the balance sheet, cut costs, de-risk the business and improve the governance.

“But at the same time there was a lot of dealing with small businesses and consumers, and that sort of customer experience is something that can be applied to rugby league.”

Smith insists rugby league’s future is bright, and says the investment fund will be a big part of ensuring the sport’s financial viability. He says the fund will be used prudently and seek to make decent returns on its investments.

Boost clubs’ financial health

Possible targets include stadium joint ventures, ticketing assets, new technology ventures and the possibility of a dedicated NRL television channel.

“I think, in particular, the digital area offers a lot of potential for us,” he says.

“We already have a lot of assets in that area, we have a films business for example, and it is a growing area that offers a lot of potential for us.”

Smith says another key component of the strategic plan is ensuring the financial health of the 16 NRL clubs. The Brisbane Broncos and South Sydney are the only clubs that make profits, a situation Smith wants to change.

He says the ARLC will make available more funding to clubs, including upgrading facilities or membership services, albeit with strict conditions.

“We want to help the clubs on the business side. The annual grant has increased (to $7 million) but if clubs have revenue-generating plans then we would be quite willing to help with that.”

Smith is also investigating greater shared services arrangements across the clubs, including in membership and finance and other back-office operations.
http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport...PCmBGPrEGhGbHL
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Re: NRL triples the VFL's profits in 2013

Post by Xman »

What was their yearly revenue?

Interestingly they claim their crowds are up 6%. I wonder where he got that figure?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:

dunno
who cares ............. yuz got whopped :\: :\: :\: :\:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

Xman wrote:

Interestingly they claim their crowds are up 6%. I wonder where he got that figure?
He also said TV ratings are up, which they're not. I think this is an old article from earlier in the year when nRL crowds and ratings were up until SoO came and killed both. The link to the article also doesn't work.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

dunno
Because neither code is attempting to save cash or pay shareholders so other than making breaking even or making a minor profit its essentially irrelevant.

Whats more important is funding your projects and the AFL have a shit lot more money to do this with. :thumbleft:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Interesting point Stewie.

Also, the article claims the profit is prior to any investment or futures fund...... :(/

There goes the profit...
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/a ... d.1033254/

Found this interesting.

Also read an article today in the Australian that nrl hoping to make 40 million profit .. And thinking finals will be good. Afl looking at taking a hit re finals due to Richmond and pies being out
Veni, vidi, vici
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

40 Million ... to 12

talk about a >>>>>>>>>>> :\: :\: :\: :\:

the stamping of feet
folding of arms & nashing of teeth

is fucking hilarious
:(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

dunno
Because neither code is attempting to save cash or pay shareholders so other than making breaking even or making a minor profit its essentially irrelevant.

Whats more important is funding your projects and the AFL have a shit lot more money to do this with. :thumbleft:

but but but .... :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

The NRLs profit is prior to their futures fund or other investments

The AFL always announce profits after accounting for their futures fund. This fund is about 30m per year http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2011/fin ... 260911.pdf

Aww Dave. Never mind. You came a close second.... :_<>
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:

The AFL always announce profits after accounting for their futures fund. This fund is about 30m per year http://mm.afl.com.au/portals/0/2011/fin ... 260911.pdf

sure dickhead

sure :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

40 Million..... to 12

whhooooooo
hoooo :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

sure dickhead

sure :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

40 Million..... to 12

whhooooooo
hoooo :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\: :\:
42m for the AFL prior to futures find. Heaps more prior to other investments.

It aint even close! But maybe we should compare revenue :<>
adamj1300
Has thanked: 0

Post by adamj1300 »

Xman wrote:

:?> :?>
Attachments
crowd-figures.jpg
crowd-figures.jpg (87.96 KiB) Viewed 2399 times
adamj1300
Has thanked: 0

Post by adamj1300 »

Raiderdave wrote:
:(/ :(/ :(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :_<>

40 Million ... to 12

talk about a >>>>>>>>>>> :\: :\: :\: :\:

the stamping of feet
folding of arms & nashing of teeth

is fucking hilarious
:(/ :(/ :_<> :_<> :_<> :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
its funny in various articles in the papers & posted on here all read differently to that the its been well reported that crowds, ratings are down

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport...PCmBGPrEGhGbHL.
until you see the full break down of where all the money comes and goes from in the total revenue & assets owned its pretty much useless
money in the bank and so on
its known the AFL has hundards of millions in a future fund & will own Etihad stadium in a few years, it has football academies and puts a lot of money in to grassroots football, something in which the NRL does nothing of :cheers:
Attachments
head in sand.jpg
head in sand.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
NRLCrap1
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB

Post by NRLCrap1 »

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/ar ... GPrEGhGbHL

This should work for those who can't see Dave's link. The date?

April 29, 2013.

OWNED AGAIN!!!
DON'T MAKE ANY BETS WITH ELIAGH!! HE WELCHES WHEN HE LOSES!!
DAVE'S RIVER IN EGYPT - JUNIOR ACT TEAMS: AFL 109 RL 107
CHEWBACCA IS A GOOSE! A GOOSE I TELL YOU! A GOOSE!