Mother blasts Rugby League violence

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Mother blasts Rugby League violence

Post by Beaussie »

Hard to disagree with this mother and the director of trauma services at St Vincent's Hospital. RL is still a thugs sport that encourages violence and assualt. [-X
Mother blasts footy violence
Date June 7, 2013
Nick Ralston, Nicky Phillips

The mother of a man who was nearly killed by a punch to the head has branded Paul Gallen's violence in Wednesday night's State of Origin game as ''disgusting'', saying such thuggery ''should not be applauded''.

Simon Cramp was left fighting for his life on Sunday morning after being hit on a night out in The Rocks, while NSW skipper Gallen was cheered and credited with providing one of the great moments of Origin history when he repeatedly struck Queensland player Nate Myles in the head.

Mrs Cramp, an AFL fan, has spent the week by her son's side at St Vincent's hospital as he has made a miraculous recovery, but told Fairfax Media she was outraged by Gallen's actions. She said it set a dangerous example for young men who idolised footballers if such activity was applauded.

Mrs Cramp said it was ''ridiculous'' to say it's simply part of the game, adding it was ''crazy'' for any member of the public to think it was appropriate conduct.

''They are thugs - it is not part of the game,'' she said. ''It's a bad example to show anyone. That's supposed to be entertaining? They shouldn't show it in the promos. He should have been marched off the field. It is disgusting, it is not part of the games and it should not be applauded. That should have been the end of it. It's not going to do anyone any good to promote that.''

Gallen will miss Cronulla's match against Melbourne on Sunday after taking the early guilty plea on a striking charge levelled against him from the State of Origin opener.

He was charged with grade-two striking for the incident just before half-time in NSW's 14-6 win, but will be free to play in the second Origin game in Brisbane on June 26.

The director of trauma services at St Vincent's, surgeon Dr Anthony Grabs, echoed Mrs Cramp's words, saying if you watched the same thing occur on the street it would be a criminal assault.

''As a health professional when I saw this occur last night, I felt embarrassed that the community saw this as being the norm,'' he said.

''By celebrating punches on the sporting field it blurred the line of what was acceptable off the field. If it's all right for our footballers to do this type of thing, why isn't it all right for us if you don't like someone? With the influence of alcohol on top the two [situations] can be indistinguishable.''

He said there was no such thing as a ''safe'' punch. ''You can't be put up as a hero if you are inflicting violence to another person,'' he said. ''I felt devastated the community appeared to be celebrating the show by Mr Gallen last night.''

He said it undermined the seriousness of what could happen when someone threw a punch at a person.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/mother-b ... z2VTrDcdXX
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club
Been liked: 0

Re: Mother blasts Rugby League violence

Post by Stewie »

It's a thugs sport watched by neanderthals.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

My son got punched today at school playing soccer ... Kid didn't like my son putting his shoulder in when going for the ball so punched him. I can't help but think the SoO punches had something to do with an attitude of supporting this type of behavioural. My son watched that bit too, flicked over for parts during adds in modern family, and he thought it was cool and exciting to watch the fight ... Said the rest was like watching grass grow, so I will now ask him if he thinks seeing someone get punched in the face is exciting and cool !!!
Veni, vidi, vici
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

Phelpsy wrote:
My son got punched today at school playing soccer ... Kid didn't like my son putting his shoulder in when going for the ball so punched him. I can't help but think the SoO punches had something to do with an attitude of supporting this type of behavioural. My son watched that bit too, flicked over for parts during adds in modern family, and he thought it was cool and exciting to watch the fight ... Said the rest was like watching grass grow, so I will now ask him if he thinks seeing someone get punched in the face is exciting and cool !!!
Should try and find out if the other kid watched the thugs sport on Wednesday night.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

vigilantes feel that they are doing to right thing. Unfortunately the punishment handed out by the vigilantes is often extreme and often directed against the wrong person. Vigilantes also encourage others to be vigilantes, if there is no real punishment handed out to the original vigilante. The violence in the SOO was poor and an example of a vigilante hitting back at a perceived wrong. Unfortunately your son Phelpsy may be a victim of a copy cat vigilante. unfortunately the action in the SOO was more widely applauded rather than blasted. 1 week was a joke.
Judge J
Has thanked: 0

Post by Judge J »

One week was in effect a slap on the wrist. Perhaps the NRL should consider a video review process like the AFL has in order to catch the original sins that give rise to these apparent retaliations.
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach
Team: Sydney Swans

Post by Swans4ever »

I think anyone who has been the victim of an unprovoked assault would be devastating with how the RL has handled Gallen
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMG

what utter nonsense
have you heard this bogan cow talk ?
I think she's been hit around the head a few times herself ...... her son I understand was hit when he was not looking or prepared
a King Hit so to speak
the same thing that Fat singlet wearing VFL loving tool ... Peter Hellier called it on the project last night

a King Hit Peter is delivered to someone who is not looking & has no way of protecting themselves ,usually delivered by gutless cowards
you see 30 of these in VFL matches each week , a game played by said gutless cowards

Myles was looking straight at Gallen & challenged him to take him on
& Gallen obliged
too bad if Myles thought Paul would not react :lol: :lol:
Gallen was not prepared to be Myles 's or any other Qlders bitch & took the far bigger opponent on like the courageous Captain he is =D> =D> =D>

for this whining slag to compare that to her son's incident is the only .. disgusting thing here
& the tree huggers & all the jealous lil fumblers all hear hearing along with her .... need to eat a tea spoon of cement .. & harden the Fuck up

1 week is more then appropriate :cool:

SOO .. tough as teak
VFL... a game for weenies :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Judge J wrote:
Perhaps the NRL should consider a video review process like the AFL has .

yes .. the NRL has never heard of Video review :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
oh the dumbness
the rampant dumbness :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

piesman2011 wrote:
. unfortunately the action in the SOO was more widely applauded rather than blasted. .

of course it was

most people don't live in a bubble .. or pretend to at least
I've spoken to yawnion followers & fumblers up here

they loved the biff
said it was fantastic ....

this turning another cheek & walk away like a whimp shit ... is not what people do.... or want to do

we all applauded when that kid took on that bully & flung him around like a rag doll
cheered we did
no tree huggers or mothers of kids who were victims of school yard violence chirped up then did they !!

well

Gallen Believed Myles , & Qld .. had taken liberties & had bullied NSW for too long
Guess what
No more .... that ends .. here .... it ends ... now !!

wow
just wow ..... all you lil fumblers got a little shocked at how tough SOO & RL is did yuz ?
well if you don't like it ..,.. go back to weenyball

but I think you'll be in the minority even amongst yr own kind
431K Melbournians
590K all up in the Sthn Capitals .. lapped it up .. loved it :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Phelpsy wrote:
The other boy had no right to hit your son, but soccer is a non contact sport, with a minimal allowance for small shoulders charges as outlined below. You can contest a ball, but you can only do so with your arm by your side. So is your son such an angel and so innocent here.

Soccer Shoulder Charge
(aka "Fair Charging"). A type of "tackle" which can be legally used to try to "win" (i.e., gain possession of) the ball. To be legal, it: (a) cannot take place from behind (b) is only permitted within playing distance (i.e., 3 feet) of the ball (c) cannot be violent or dangerous (d) must be intended to win the ball & not just to knock down the opponent (e) must be shoulder to shoulder (not to the opponents chest or back) with the arms (especially elbows) close to the body (f) the player must have at least one foot on the ground (i.e., he can't leap).
Last edited by Dogs on Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,
Dogs
Captain
Captain
Team:

Post by Dogs »

Dogs wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
So you AFL numbskulls never watch RL, however you just happened to flick onto the game which was covered for all of about 2 mins. Now the kid who plays soccer has you thinking that this 2 minutes of the game gave him the thought that it is OK to hit your child. WOW, you also have support for your theory from other AFL fans. (Not Jonathon Brown though) Do you put any of the blame on the parents for not teaching there child right from wrong. No you blame 2 minute from a RL game that the kid may or may not of even seen. Wow Wee.

Lets get this right, either the kid that hit your child lacks good parental guidance or has aggression issue, your son shouldered inappropriately and the other kid felt threatened enough that he needed to defended himself or your are speaking out your backside. I going with you live in fairy land and are speaking out your rectum.

Using your fairyland logic, was your son being violent with the shoulder because he watches AFL. I would have thought he has a brain of his own and you would teach him right from wrong. Get this nonsense off the website.
NRLCrap1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:28 am

NRLCrap1 says: Crowds don't mean squat,
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Dogs wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
The other boy had no right to hit your son, but soccer is a non contact sport, with a minimal allowance for small shoulders charges as outlined below. You can contest a ball, but you can only do so with your arm by your side. So is your son such an angel and so innocent here.

Soccer Shoulder Charge
(aka "Fair Charging"). A type of "tackle" which can be legally used to try to "win" (i.e., gain possession of) the ball. To be legal, it: (a) cannot take place from behind (b) is only permitted within playing distance (i.e., 3 feet) of the ball (c) cannot be violent or dangerous (d) must be intended to win the ball & not just to knock down the opponent (e) must be shoulder to shoulder (not to the opponents chest or back) with the arms (especially elbows) close to the body (f) the player must have at least one foot on the ground (i.e., he can't leap).

its a wonder his son didn't hit him on the blind side .. with an elbow to the back of the head like a sly dog
that's what he'd get from watching fumbleball [-( [-( [-(

at least he saw a smaller man stand up to a bigger one on the Origin =D> =D> =D>
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

Raiderdave wrote:

OMG

what utter nonsense
I think she's been hit around the head a few times herself ...... her son I understand was hit when he was not looking or prepared
a King Hit so to speak
the same thing that Fat singlet wearing VFL loving tool ... Peter Hellier called it on the project last night

a King Hit Peter is delivered to someone who is not looking & has no way of protecting themselves ,usually delivered by gutless cowards
you see 30 of these in VFL matches each week , a game played by said gutless cowards

& Gallen obliged
Gallen was not prepared to be Myles 's or any other Qlders bitch & took the far bigger opponent on like the courageous Captain he is =D> =D> =D>

for this whining slag to compare that to her son's incident is the only .. disgusting thing here
& the tree huggers & all the jealous lil fumblers all hear hearing along with her .... need to eat a tea spoon of cement .. & harden the Fuck up

SOO .. tough as teak

What nonsense. Clearly a king hit, his hands wouldn't have been by his side if he was ready for it. Clearly a poor role model and he is the captain as well. Put your hand up if you are happy with your kid punching another kid at a sporting activity because he doesn't like the way another kid goes about playing sport. If this happened at a suburban sporting ground he would have ended up with community service and a 6 month good behaviour bond. Instead he is being held up as a role model by Raiderdave.
If you want to fight, there are legal ways to do so.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

piesman2011 wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:

OMG

what utter nonsense
a King Hit so to speak

& Gallen obliged

SOO .. tough as teak

What nonsense. Clearly a king hit, his hands wouldn't have been by his side if he was ready for it. Clearly a poor role model and he is the captain as well. Put your hand up if you are happy with your kid punching another kid at a sporting activity because he doesn't like the way another kid goes about playing sport. If this happened at a suburban sporting ground he would have ended up with community service and a 6 month good behaviour bond. Instead he is being held up as a role model by Raiderdave.
If you want to fight, there are legal ways to do so.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jesus.. they are clueless this lot
dumb as bat shit

a king hit is when you're not looking , you don't even see yr assailant .... & as I said
Myles went after Gallen
its his fault his hands stayed by his side

he thought he could continue his intimidation of the Blues & .....Gallen wouldn't do anything
oh how wrong he was :wink:
Myles is far bigger then Paul ... but our courageous Captain took on the bigger man for his team . .. his state & its followers

back to weenyball for you
straighten your skirt while yr at it you Shelia :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million