Soccer Is Not Football Here In Australia

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Soccer Is Not Football Here In Australia

Post by Beaussie »

Despite soccer being known as football in most parts of the world. I can't see it ever being referred to as such here in Australia.

Recent name changes at Soccer Australia in my opinion will not result the people of Australia embracing soccer as football. Ask anyone on the streets what they consider football. I'm willing to bet the majority of Australians would not respond with soccer.

Put simply, football in Australia is Australian Rules, Rugby League and Rugby Union.
crocodileman
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by crocodileman »

Not sure that I agree with that. I think it depends on a person's country of birth or their ethnic origin. Certainly, people from a European background may be more willing to embrace the term 'football' due to their experiences in that continent.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

crocodileman wrote:
Not sure that I agree with that. I think it depends on a person's country of birth or their ethnic origin. Certainly, people from a European background may be more willing to embrace the term 'football' due to their experiences in that continent.
I see your point Crocman, however I still believe the majority of Australians will not embrace the term 'football' for soccer. Time will tell I guess.

Perhaps you would like to comment Jules. :P
MG

Post by MG »

i support womens soccer and i have a friend who plays for the central coast of NSW team in the womens national league - she calls it soccer, not football.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

I tend to agree with beaussie on this one although he has pissed me off in a pub with his constant ramblings of why how blah. The name Soccer is ingrained in aussie culture and I believe it would take decades to phase the word out so why bother. We need our wierd names anyway. I know it makes us look like dills to the rest of the world but who cares, same game, different name.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
The name Soccer is ingrained in aussie culture and I believe it would take decades to phase the word out so why bother. We need our wierd names anyway. I know it makes us look like dills to the rest of the world but who cares, same game, different name.
Interestingly the Sydney Morning Herald has vowed to refer to the game as football from now on and if you check out their sports page on their website the other footy codes we traditionally call footy are referred to as AFL, League and Union, yet soccer is Football. :roll:

Meanwhile we are not alone in calling the world game soccer. The US, Canada, NZ and the nations of the Pacific refer to it as such. I'm with you KE in that despite what the rest of the world may call it, at the end of the day it's the same game just with a different name.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Dead right beaussie its just all a bunch of bollocks really. Perhaps Barry Bollocks Esq could fill us in on the legal ramifications of all this tripe?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
JF_Bay22_SCG

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

The term 'soccer' I feel is highly demeaning to a code that rules the world over. It is called "Football" at the Olympics because it is just that, the game where you use your feet to move the bal around the field.

People might not be used to it now in this country, but you have to start somewhere. The game is too great globally speaking to have to put up with wanky titles such as 'soccer'. Only no idea countries like the USA call it that in any case.

People in the southern states will bitch and moan that Aussie Rules is and always has been "football". Well if that is the case, why is the AFL so adamant to call our game "AFL" all of a sudden. If the AFL belived its code had a right to the name, they should would have put up a fight for it surely. (Then again this is Demetriou we are talking about.)

The fan of the World Game in me is thrilled that at last the game in this country appears to be getting its shit together. It is the legacy of the late Johnny Warren to develop the game. He hated the word 'soccer'. And that is as good an argument as any I can think up.

Nothing will really change, except maybe SA WA & Vic papers referring to the game as "Australian (Rules) Football" or "Aussie Rules". The Sydney Morning Herald has already come to the party saying they will only refer to the World Game as "Football"

It is high time to World Game got the respect it deserved in this country. Calling it football, as they do in every country in the world aside from the USA Canada and maybe South Africa, is only bringing on to the same footing as it is in other countries.

It really isn;t anything to get all huffy about. Threads like this one on Bigfooty
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141991
are in my opinion all hullaballoo.

Discover the beauty and passion that is the world game. It took me to learn a foreign language and go to matches in a foreign country to be as hooked as i am. Now I lead the singing at Sydney Australian National Team matches in the Green & Gold Army http://www.ggarmy.com

cheers

JF
JF_Bay22_SCG

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Meanwhile we are not alone in calling the world game soccer. The US, Canada, NZ and the nations of the Pacific refer to it as such. I'm with you KE in that despite what the rest of the world may call it, at the end of the day it's the same game just with a different name.
It is all about branding Brycey. For years the game has been branded as soccer. With that comes connotations of rampant ethnicity, hooliganism and several other not particularly favourable attributes. The word "soccer" would be instantaniously branded as "wogball". And would be demeaned and

By calling the game "football" it steps away and beyond those stereotypes. And for the very first time too. And in terms appeals more to the hugely untapped market of people in Australia born and brought up overseas.

For once the Beautiful Game will be able to develop itself with the start of the new A League. And it will show that The World Game is the truly global football once the A League teams starting playing big Asian clubs in the Asian Champions League.

and people have the teremity to seriously think that Rugby Onion is truly global. :roll:

JF
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

JF_Bay22_SCG wrote:
People in the southern states will bitch and moan that Aussie Rules is and always has been "football".
I would have thought people in the northern states will also bitch and moan that the rugby codes are and have always been referred to as "football". Oh well, as I said earlier, time will tell as to whether Australians embrace the term "football" for the world game. Interesting and I see your point in your post about the image problems the game has faced here in Australia in the past with its ethnic ties.

BTW nice pics there mate. :wink:
JF_Bay22_SCG

Post by JF_Bay22_SCG »

Where did my pix go? :?

JF
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin