Vicky Kicky dying in QLD

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Vicky Kicky dying in QLD

Post by Raiderdave »

:cool:

wow
when will I tire of being right
I just analyise it ... & .. it is so

the head of that game in QLD says its a fact .... its very concerning
& he hasn't even touched on the disasterous state of the Wions from a financial point of veiw, just the fact that no one is watching either team.
but watch our resident singlet wearing apologists in here .. fire up a list of excuses as long as yr arm ... oh but if this happens .. & if that happens .. & when we get this right
:lol: :lol: :lol: .. cockheads
RIP fumbleball in QLD

False dawn for sinking Suns, Lions

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl ... 6626345757

QUEENSLAND football's senior statesman Graeme Downie has raised concerns over the health of the game as the state's underperforming sides struggle to attract the public's interest.

MILESTONES and meeting his old Melbourne teammates are by-products for on-baller Brent Moloney on Sunday...End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Downie, chairman during the Brisbane Lions' era of premierships and later the mastermind behind the formation of the Gold Coast Suns, says the "buzz" has gone out of the game in Queensland.

Poor performances last weekend have put the blowtorch on Lions coach Michael Voss, who will coach for his career against Melbourne at the Gabba on Sunday.

And the heat will also go directly on to Suns coach Guy McKenna if Gold Coast lose to GWS in Canberra. "Both teams have been disappointing," Downie said.

"It is not so much where they are on the ladder - it is the way they are playing. Last weekend was a bad weekend for Queensland footy.

"The buzz has gone out of it to some extent. The Lions have been struggling for too many years now and they have lost a lot of support."

The code's showpiece in Queensland, the round 3 Q Clash, attracted a meagre crowd of 12,961 and a national audience of 83,500 viewers on the 7Mate digital channel.

But the AFL insists the code is in great shape in the north, saying participation numbers across the state have increased by nearly 10 per cent in the past two years.

LAND OF LONG DARK CLOUD: The Suns, led by skipper Gary Ablett, trudge from Metricon Stadium on Saturday.
They also argue the Lions and Suns are returning solid figures for 7Mate.

"AFL football is going from strength-to-strength in Queensland," corporate affairs manager James Tonkin said. "The recent Q Clash crowd was on target for more than 18,000 people, but the sustained wet weather unfortunately had a negative impact. Overall, we are very satisfied with AFL crowds and TV (both Foxtel and 7Mate) audiences in the state."

Downie, however, argues the game has been downgraded by the shift to 7Mate. "When it was on the main channel, it had importance, it was relevant," he said. "Now it is like the game has no respect. The TV networks are treating the local teams here as pretty unimportant."

Downie also has major concerns about crowd levels at Metricon Stadium and the Gabba. The Suns' best crowd of the year was in round 1 when 13,832 turned up to watch them beat the Saints. Saturday night's home game against Port Adelaide attracted just 11,332.

The Lions have also had a slow start. Their round 2 clash against Adelaide, a top-four side from last year, attracted just 21,038. Coming off the back of a strong finish to 2012 and a NAB Cup win, it was a letdown.

The corresponding fixture last season against Carlton drew 25,913.

Downie said it was an alarming trend. "Given the maturity of the game here in Queensland now and the quality of our stadiums, the crowds are a real worry," he said.

"The Suns are different, we knew it was going to take time for them to develop but we thought people understood that."
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Re: Vicky Kicky dying in QLD

Post by Fred »

I can tell you that afl is doing pretty well on the Gold Coast. A new side had entered my sons leauge ... Beaudesert of all placed ??? I do agree that having games on 7 Mate is an issue but I don't think that reflects support as Perth also do this , but it is a worry . Good to see 7 doing their promo using the lions though , saying this is our town or something . I think crowd figures are an issue though for the lions but not unexpected given recent form ... They do have a niche market though that is sizeable and rating for afl are pretty good in general in Brisbane . We have to remember that Brisbane is nrl heartland and it will always be 3 steps forward and 1 back ... Maybe 2 ... But that is what goes with trying to grow the game in a non traditional market . What is interesting is that 1 this was even a story in the main paper , and 2. That there were other articles on the lions and afl in the same paper (I actually read it). It also only quotes ftA figures although the afl does correct this in their response. Also this guy is not the head of anything ... He was part of the lions and part of the suns .... But no longer I think. I will stand corrected though. His opinions are important however as someone who was a large part of growing the lions and setting up the suns. But even he says everyone expected the suns to have to find their feet as he mentions . It was a good story , the fact it was significant enough to have 1 persons opinion , albeit an important 1, printed in the main paper, is however significant too. No doubt the afl will be monitoring and addressing it, that's what they do well. But living in the Gold Coast I can tell you the afl and suns is very much alive. Plenty of suns stickers on cars, plenty of juniors which appears to be growing ... There are something like 4 or 5 under 8 teams at my sons club... Up two or three from last year and a new club in the comp also. There are Aussie rules grounds all over the place, and plenty if media both in print and on news. When you get Wally Lewis leading the sports report with an afl story on the Brisbane news (we get both Brisbane and local channels ) then I think the afl is making significant in roads . Is it as big as nrl .... No. Does it have a significant market .... Yes. Can my son play afl if he wants to .... Yes. Could my son play nrl in Victoria if he wanted to .... No
Veni, vidi, vici
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:
I can tell you that afl is doing pretty well on the Gold Coast. A new side had entered my sons leauge ... Beaudesert of all placed ??? I do agree that having games on 7 Mate is an issue but I don't think that reflects support as Perth also do this , but it is a worry . Good to see 7 doing their promo using the lions though , saying this is our town or something . I think crowd figures are an issue though for the lions but not unexpected given recent form ... They do have a niche market though that is sizeable and rating for afl are pretty good in general in Brisbane . We have to remember that Brisbane is nrl heartland and it will always be 3 steps forward and 1 back ... Maybe 2 ... But that is what goes with trying to grow the game in a non traditional market . What is interesting is that 1 this was even a story in the main paper , and 2. That there were other articles on the lions and afl in the same paper (I actually read it). It also only quotes ftA figures although the afl does correct this in their response. Also this guy is not the head of anything ... He was part of the lions and part of the suns .... But no longer I think. I will stand corrected though. His opinions are important however as someone who was a large part of growing the lions and setting up the suns. But even he says everyone expected the suns to have to find their feet as he mentions . It was a good story , the fact it was significant enough to have 1 persons opinion , albeit an important 1, printed in the main paper, is however significant too. No doubt the afl will be monitoring and addressing it, that's what they do well. But living in the Gold Coast I can tell you the afl and suns is very much alive. Plenty of suns stickers on cars, plenty of juniors which appears to be growing ... There are something like 4 or 5 under 8 teams at my sons club... Up two or three from last year and a new club in the comp also. There are Aussie rules grounds all over the place, and plenty if media both in print and on news. When you get Wally Lewis leading the sports report with an afl story on the Brisbane news (we get both Brisbane and local channels ) then I think the afl is making significant in roads . Is it as big as nrl .... No. Does it have a significant market .... Yes. Can my son play afl if he wants to .... Yes. Could my son play nrl in Victoria if he wanted to .... No
:lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously .. the ignorance is astounding

participation means zip
if it didn't the Roar would be numb 1 in QLD

barely anyone watches the victorian game in QLD anymore
those that do are the ex pats

its not fashionable ..... its no longer a hip thing to do
& n fact unless you or your parents migrated there , its quite daggy to don a singlet & scream bbbaaalllllllll..........at fumbling & bumbling clowns in the sunshine state these days .. as it is all the way down to the Riverina :wink:

Its not just me saying it
its experts
&

it is so.... :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

So 2 teams are struggling to win games in qld and their crowds are down. Shock horror Dave concludes the game is dead in Qld.
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I live here and I'm ignorant as to what is going on?
Veni, vidi, vici
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

Pfft, the exact same article would be written if the Broncos and Titans were both in the bottom 4. When the Titans were shit, their crowds were worse than the Suns. Once these two teams start winning, watch the bandwagon jump on.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

There is no animosity toward afl on Gold Coast ... Just as there is none in Melbourne toward the storm ... I think even most sydney siders are a bit over the whole code war thing too .
Veni, vidi, vici
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

piesman2011 wrote:
So 2 teams are struggling to win games in qld and their crowds are down. Shock horror Dave concludes the game is dead in Qld.
funny

I didn't write the article , nor was I quoted in it

denial
tis where you live :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:
I live here and I'm ignorant as to what is going on?
yes
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Stewie wrote:
Once these two teams start winning, watch the bandwagon jump on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

what did I tell ya

once this

once that

once we

whats that sailing out to sea :-k

oh thats the ship that has long sailed
:cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:
There is no animosity toward afl on Gold Coast ... Just as there is none in Melbourne toward the storm ... I think even most sydney siders are a bit over the whole code war thing too .

ignorant bliss ..... whats it like ? :-k
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: Dave is right. Yes I agree phelpsy there is 'participation' but as dave says, this means diddly squat in terms of what is actually popular...and it's true the AFL clown clubs brissie and gc are not popular, and look unlikely to be popular, perhaps forever. You afl folk should resign to that, as phelpsy has in part, or forever more be content to be a but but butter :lol:

...I'm happy either way folks :D .... :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

The "Q Clash"... i mean what the fukk is that?

Nothing, that's what it is.

The "battle of the bridges" ... i mean who the fukk thinks this is real?

Fools, that's who.

Seriously folks. A rivalry which deserves naming is something which requires history and meaning to it, not some falsified notion which the AFL promotes to try and develop passion and support. Support is earnt and cannot be created from thin air like the afl is trying to do.

The Q Clash and the Battle of the Bridges, you know what it all reeks of? The 'tryhard' in the schoolyard. Noone likes the tryhard. :lol:

When will the afl learn to develop their game respectfully?

Go Khunt in the GC v GWS basketcase clash! :lol: Yay! :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

You are simply wrong KE re the suns anyway. I live here and there is plenty if suns in the news, they are quite visible and a solid core support . They're crowds are okay although could do with maybe 3 or 4 thousand more on average ... But they are a new team.
Veni, vidi, vici
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

Seriously folks. A rivalry which deserves naming is something which requires history and meaning to it, not some falsified notion which the AFL promotes to try and develop passion and support. Support is earnt and cannot be created from thin air like the afl is trying to do.

I agree with this KE ....
Veni, vidi, vici