More than 20,000 expected for NZ AFL ANZAC clash

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

More than 20,000 expected for NZ AFL ANZAC clash

Post by Beaussie »

Wow, very encouraging ticket sales for the AFL in NZ. Wish I could be there.
More than 20,000 expected for NZ clash
By Ashley Browne2:38pm AEST Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Sydney Swans and St Kilda will meet in Wellington on Anzac Day

THE AFL is expecting a crowd of more than 20,000 for next week's historic Anzac Day clash in New Zealand between St Kilda and the Sydney Swans.

Ticket sales for the clash at Westpac Stadium in Wellington ticked over 16,000 on Thursday morning, a figure AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan said was "encouraging".

"Obviously we want a good crowd so there's a good atmosphere to exhibit our code well," he said on Thursday.

According to McLachlan, there are all sorts of objectives for the AFL in playing the game in the New Zealand capital.

"Long term, there will be a whole series of things such as being a beachhead to grow the participation numbers in New Zealand and that flows into talent and commercial opportunities," McLachlan said.

"Hopefully it's a great game with a good crowd, which makes it a showcase event and hopefully it says something about our game and our brand that we are playing internationally for premiership points."

Both teams leave Australia on Tuesday to prepare for the game, which starts at 7.50pm local time (5.50AEST) On Thursday. It will be televised live on Fox Footy, immediately after the Collingwood-Essendon clash.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-18/m ... r-nz-clash
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra
Been liked: 0

Re: More than 20,000 expected for NZ AFL ANZAC clash

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Wow, very encouraging ticket sales for the AFL in NZ. Wish I could be there.
More than 20,000 expected for NZ clash
By Ashley Browne2:38pm AEST Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Sydney Swans and St Kilda will meet in Wellington on Anzac Day

THE AFL is expecting a crowd of more than 20,000 for next week's historic Anzac Day clash in New Zealand between St Kilda and the Sydney Swans.

Ticket sales for the clash at Westpac Stadium in Wellington ticked over 16,000 on Thursday morning, a figure AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan said was "encouraging".

"Obviously we want a good crowd so there's a good atmosphere to exhibit our code well," he said on Thursday.

According to McLachlan, there are all sorts of objectives for the AFL in playing the game in the New Zealand capital.

"Long term, there will be a whole series of things such as being a beachhead to grow the participation numbers in New Zealand and that flows into talent and commercial opportunities," McLachlan said.

"Hopefully it's a great game with a good crowd, which makes it a showcase event and hopefully it says something about our game and our brand that we are playing internationally for premiership points."

Both teams leave Australia on Tuesday to prepare for the game, which starts at 7.50pm local time (5.50AEST) On Thursday. It will be televised live on Fox Footy, immediately after the Collingwood-Essendon clash.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-18/m ... r-nz-clash

tickets sold eh :-k

or given away ..... same ol with this mob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I'm thinking a few would be given away indeed Dave. A good strategy I think as it allows a good atmosphere and with that you may get some take an interest ... And hopefully done growth can be gained. Afl doesn't have a presence of note in NZ so hence the need to grow and expose . In they sense giving away tickets makes perfect sense.
Veni, vidi, vici
piesman2011
Coach
Coach

Post by piesman2011 »

Nice 16k sold with a week to go. Hopefully they can get 25k to the ground. With 90k at the MCG, a couple cracket NRL games this should be a great day for Australian and NZ sport.
Drac
Coach
Coach
Team: Adelaide Crows

Post by Drac »

a crowd of over 20k would amuse me greatly.
Raiderdave wrote:
perception is reality
Swans4ever
Coach
Coach

Post by Swans4ever »

Didn't Melb storm give a free ticket to every member who brought someone along a couple of Mondays ago - I agree with Raiderdave same ol with THAT NRL mob! Raiderdave you Wanker
LARGEST MEMBERSHIP, LARGEST PROFIT, LARGEST HOME CROWD AVERAGE - THE BIGGEST CLUB IN SYDNEY - THE SYDNEY SWANS
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

True , a good move by them too. Just as the afl will probably do or are doing in NZ. Little market wise there so that's how you grow the game.
Veni, vidi, vici
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

Phelpsy wrote:
True , a good move by them too. Just as the afl will probably do or are doing in NZ. Little market wise there so that's how you grow the game.
I don't think I would call what the Storm did a good move. They just won the premiership, they shouldn't have to do freebies like that. The fact that they do just to get a good crowd (nRL standard) shows that the support for them in Melbourne is minuscule.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Drac wrote:
a crowd of over 20k would amuse me greatly.

me too

considering about 5K would actually fork anything out to go :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Swans4ever wrote:
Didn't Melb storm give a free ticket to every member who brought someone along a couple of Mondays ago - I agree with Raiderdave same ol with THAT NRL mob! Raiderdave you Wanker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

stll double the paying crowd that'll be in NZ next week ********** :lol: :lol:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Stewie wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
I don't think I would call what the Storm did a good move. They just won the premiership, they shouldn't have to do freebies like that. The fact that they do just to get a good crowd (nRL standard) shows that the support for them in Melbourne is minuscule.
Shows how pathetic the Storm and NRL are in Victoria. Seriously, why do they bother? The AFL will have a bigger crowd in NZ than the NRL premiers at home on a public holiday in sports mad Melbourne. Free tickets galore from the NRL too no doubt. :oops:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Stewie wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
they shouldn't have to do freebies like that. The fact that they do just to get a good crowd (nRL standard) shows that the support for them in Melbourne is minuscule.

& yet the Vicky Kicky Premiers being in town .... isn't enough to stop a dump truck full of freebies needed to get the ground to half full
shows the support for the Victorian game in NZ is

well

non exsitent :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Beaussie wrote:
Stewie wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
The AFL will have a bigger crowd in NZ than the NRL premiers at home on a public holiday in sports mad Melbourne. :
hmmmmmm
bigger eh

heaven help you if its not dickhead ..... :cool:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

Raiderdave wrote:
Stewie wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:
they shouldn't have to do freebies like that. The fact that they do just to get a good crowd (nRL standard) shows that the support for them in Melbourne is minuscule.

& yet the Vicky Kicky Premiers being in town .... isn't enough to stop a dump truck full of freebies needed to get the ground to half full
shows the support for the Victorian game in NZ is

well

non exsitent :cool:
You haven't shown any proof of free tickets being handed out dick head. The Swans in Sydney can sell out the SCG without having to give away tickets, but the Storm need to give away thousands and only manage 18k. :oops:
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Fred
Coach
Coach

Post by Fred »

I thought there were 31000 at the swans Geelong match ?
Veni, vidi, vici