More games = bigger crowds, Busting this myth

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

More games = bigger crowds, Busting this myth

Post by Xman »

So Raiderdave and KE seem convinced that because the AFL have gone to 9 games this must automatically translate to bigger crowd numbers and a similar crowd averages per game.

But every sensible person knows if the new teams are located outside the heartland they will naturally have lower crowds and therefore lower the average crowds of the entire comp, especially if the heartland average is so high like the AFL's is.

So lets compare some numbers for 2010, before the Suns were introduced, and 2012, after the Giants started. But before we begin, lets agree on 3 things:
1. Games in heartland states usually have larger crowds than games in expansion states
2. Naturally, games in expansion states usually have lower crowds than heartland games
3. Local derbies, or games involving teams in the same state usually involve larger crowds than games with one local team and one interstate team.

Sound fair?

In 2010
There were a total of 176 home and away games.

147 of these games were in the heartland states of VIC, SA and WA. This is 83.5% of all games
29 games were in expansion states of NT, QLD, NSW and TAS, or 16.5%
70 of these games were local derbies ie 2 teams from the same state, or 39.8%

In 2012
There were a total of 198 home and away games.

145 of these games were in the heartland states of VIC, SA and WA. This is 73.2% of all games
53 games were in expansion states of NT, QLD, NSW and TAS, or 26.8%
66 of these games were local derbies ie 2 teams from the same state, or33.3%

So, in summary, last year the AFL actually reduced the proportion of their games played in their heartland by 10%. They increased their games in expansion states by about 40%, and actually had 4 less local derbies despite 22 more games. Is it any wonder their average crowd figure suffered, and their total attendance figure actually dropped in 2012? Less heartland games, less local derbies.

Combine that with 2 new noncompetitive teams and live footy on TV for every game and the average was always going to drop. Last years figure is now the new baseline, just like a new course record when the tees are taken 40 metres back to account for longer drives.

Here comes Raiderdave with his witty "but but but" comeback. He uses this when he's completely stumped :lol:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Re: More games = bigger crowds, Busting this myth

Post by Stewie »

Very good research Xman. =D>

Another Raiderdave myth... exposed. :cool:
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

Makes to much sense. Better delete it Xman. It was obvious but it's good to see some figures.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Hahahahaha ohhhhh Xman! :lol:

Whatta rippa! :lol:

You lost me at "but b4 we begin lets agree on three things" and point 1 and 2 mean completely the same thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew the rest would be garbage if you couldn't even get clarity on your points for us to agree on! :lol: ohhhhhhh the irony :lol:

And the rest was the funniest piece of garbage research I've ever come across! :lol:

I'd love to make a similar bogus nrl research up plucking numbers which work and relating them to far fetching variables across a tiny time period which suits my fancy but folks... I got better things to do with my time and I'm not a simpleton :lol:

Take a bow Xman! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:

You lost me at "but b4 we begin lets agree on three things" and point 1 and 2 mean completely the same thing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I knew the rest would be garbage if you couldn't even get clarity on your points for us to agree on! :lol: ohhhhhhh the irony :lol:

And the rest was the funniest piece of garbage research I've ever come across! :lol:

I'd love to make a similar bogus nrl research up plucking numbers which work and relating them to far fetching variables across a tiny time period which suits my fancy but folks... I got better things to do with my time and I'm not a simpleton :lol:

So because point 1 and 2 are the same they aren't true? :-k :roll:

Do you agree point 1 is true?

Do you agree point 2 is true?

What else do you disagree with rather than an airy fairy answer like youve given?
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: Xman I don't agree with your whole shoddy research. I made that quite clear not airy fairy :lol:

In fact, even the title of this thread/your research is a massive ironic contradiction. :lol:
You're the one who said more games = bigger crowds :lol: and in your own special way you certainly are busting that 'myth'! :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Continue! Please! :lol: :lol: :lol:

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
:lol: Xman I don't agree with your whole shoddy research. I made that quite clear not airy fairy :lol:

In fact, even the title of this thread/your research is a massive ironic contradiction. :lol:
You're the one who said more games = bigger crowds :lol: and in your own special way you certainly are busting that 'myth'! :lol: :lol:
Why? Give some reasons.

Do you agree games played in homeland states usually involve bigger crowds?

Do you agree games involving 2 local teams from the same state usually involve bigger crowds?

I actually did not say more games = bigger crowds, in fact quite the opposite you dunce! :lol: hence the thread! I said a bigger total audience is a better indication of growth than crowd averages.

Sheesh KE, are you stoned? :-k
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Why don't I believe in your shoddy research? :lol: again I thought I already made that quite clear in my last post...seems I've forgotten the important msg in my signature! Ill give you two more reasons Xman. Validity and reliability, two terms even junior researchers must familiarise themselves with. I wont teach you them because youre a bad student. Google em if you can "be bothered to read" :lol:

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Why don't I believe in your shoddy research? :lol: again I thought I already made that quite clear in my last post...seems I've forgotten the important msg in my signature! Ill give you two more reasons Xman. Validity and reliability, two terms even junior researchers must familiarise themselves with. I wont teach you them because youre a bad student. Google em if you can "be bothered to read" :lol:
Youre just making excuses up. :lol:

You haven't answered my questions about homeland and local derby games drawing bigger crowds. Pretty simple stuff really and easily proven with statistics.

No surprise you refuse to participate :lol:

Thanks KE. I'll take your behaviour as sign of forfeit
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

King-Eliagh wrote:

Has to be the longest Bow drawn in history........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fred
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood
Been liked: 156 times

Post by Fred »

I think the nrl would love for the storm to have the level of exposure and crowd numbers that the swans have in Sydney surely ?
Veni, vidi, vici
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Phelpsy wrote:
I think the nrl would love for the storm to have the level of exposure and crowd numbers that the swans have in Sydney surely ?

hmmmmm

2012 GF's
Swines 615K in Sydney
Storm 905K in Melbourne

Rnd 4 NRL 2013
Broncos V Storm
70K on gem in Melbourne
same weekend rnd 1 VFL
Midgets V Swines
40K on mate in Sydney

the Swines have had regular prime time coverage in Sydney for pretty much 30years
the Storm are in their 2nd year of the same in Melb

Rnd 2 VFL 2013
Swines 20,372 in Sydney at SCG

Rnd 5 NRL 2013
Storm 18,866 in Melb at AAMI

seems the Storm are doing better then people think
& the swines .. now where near as good as people think :cool:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

The Storm had a buy one get on free offer for everyone, and all members got one free ticket. They still couldn't get 20k. Just shut them down already, once news is gone, so are they.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Phelpsy wrote:

hmmmmm

2012 GF's
Swines 615K in Sydney
Storm 905K in Melbourne

Rnd 4 NRL 2013
Broncos V Storm
70K on gem in Melbourne
same weekend rnd 1 VFL
Midgets V Swines
40K on mate in Sydney

the Swines have had regular prime time coverage in Sydney for pretty much 30years
the Storm are in their 2nd year of the same in Melb

Rnd 2 VFL 2013
Swines 20,372 in Sydney at SCG

Rnd 5 NRL 2013
Storm 18,866 in Melb at AAMI

seems the Storm are doing better then people think
& the swines .. now where near as good as people think :cool:
:lol: so the swans have been on TV in Sydney for 30 years.... #-o

Swans in pouring rain 20k. They average 25k

Storm in perfect conditions with free tickets 18k, they only average 14k