VFL fines Demons 500K for ... ah .... not tanking !!

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: VFL fines Demons 500K for ... ah .... not tanking !!

Post by Xman »

Apparently they do a similar thing in US sport Dave :D
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Xman wrote:
Apparently they do a similar thing in US sport Dave :D
again

this funny little victorian game ..... comparing itself to an American sport in a market with 315 Million people

I mean vicky kicky isn't even the most watched sport in Australia :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman wrote:
Xman wrote:
Striker wrote:
El gave the definition perfectly. Did you prove him right again and not read it?
I'll give you a hand :wink:

tank definition

in.
and tank up. to drink too much beer; to drink to excess. : Let's go out this Friday and tank a while.
n.
a drunkard. (Usually tank-up.) : You're turning into a real tank, Harry.
n.
a jail cell for holding drunks. : One night in the tank was enough to make John take the pledge.
tv. & in.
to lose a game deliberately. : The manager got wind of a plan to tank Friday's game.
in.
for something to fail. : The entire stock market tanked on Friday.

Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tank
American dictionary of slang Xman? Really? :lol:

Try this one folks.

Tanking

There was annual speculation that poor performing teams manipulated their results after they were eliminated from finals contention, in order to ensure they remain below the eligibility criterion and receive a priority pick under the pre-2012 format; this was referred to as "tanking."[2]
There are a wide variety of behaviours which could be considered to be tanking. These include:

1 Instructing the players to deliberately lose matches
2 Employing unusual tactics in matches, including using players in positions where they do not usually play[2]
3 Resting star players with minor injuries, who would likely not be rested if the team were contesting finals[3]
4 Playing younger players who do not yet have much experience at AFL level[4]

While all of these behaviours can be interpreted as an attempt to avoid winning matches, all but the first point can also be justified as a sensible player management and development strategy for a team with no chance of playing finals, which complicates the debate about tanking. In addition, tanking has the significant issue that fans of these clubs sometimes openly support against their teams on game day;[3] however, this could also be justified as a sign of fan dissatisfaction at the club's poor performance and/or its administration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_d ... ck#Tanking

Melbourne Demons deliberately did all three at the end of the season to get draft picks. Clear as day folks, clear as day. Thank god the AFL changed their rules around the draft picks although there's still loopholes imo, and slapped melbourne with a whopper of a fine, though still a puny punishment considering. And for AFL fans :) , let us join, come together with me and thank god that dimwit demetriou is not as dumb as our own lord of the dimwits, Xman [-o<

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman wrote:
Xman wrote:
I'll give you a hand :wink:

tank definition

in.
and tank up. to drink too much beer; to drink to excess. : Let's go out this Friday and tank a while.
n.
a drunkard. (Usually tank-up.) : You're turning into a real tank, Harry.
n.
a jail cell for holding drunks. : One night in the tank was enough to make John take the pledge.
tv. & in.
to lose a game deliberately. : The manager got wind of a plan to tank Friday's game.
in.
for something to fail. : The entire stock market tanked on Friday.

Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions by Richard A. Spears.Fourth Edition.
Copyright 2007. Published by McGraw Hill.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tank
American dictionary of slang Xman? Really? :lol:

Try this one folks.

Tanking

There was annual speculation that poor performing teams manipulated their results after they were eliminated from finals contention, in order to ensure they remain below the eligibility criterion and receive a priority pick under the pre-2012 format; this was referred to as "tanking."[2]
There are a wide variety of behaviours which could be considered to be tanking. These include:

1 Instructing the players to deliberately lose matches
2 Employing unusual tactics in matches, including using players in positions where they do not usually play[2]
3 Resting star players with minor injuries, who would likely not be rested if the team were contesting finals[3]
4 Playing younger players who do not yet have much experience at AFL level[4]

While all of these behaviours can be interpreted as an attempt to avoid winning matches, all but the first point can also be justified as a sensible player management and development strategy for a team with no chance of playing finals, which complicates the debate about tanking. In addition, tanking has the significant issue that fans of these clubs sometimes openly support against their teams on game day;[3] however, this could also be justified as a sign of fan dissatisfaction at the club's poor performance and/or its administration.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_d ... ck#Tanking

Melbourne Demons deliberately did all three at the end of the season to get draft picks. Clear as day folks, clear as day. Thank god the AFL changed their rules around the draft picks although there's still loopholes imo, and slapped melbourne with a whopper of a fine, though still a puny punishment considering. And for AFL fans :) , let us join, come together with me and thank god that dimwit demetriou is not as dumb as our own lord of the dimwits, Xman [-o<
You're attempting to discredit a slang dictionary with wiki? :lol: :lol: :lol:

A new low for you! :lol:

Tanking is losing on purpose. Melbourne didnt do that because their players were playing to win. The fact their coach experimented to accelerate their teams development is totally reasonable, especially given they couldn't make the finals. Behaviour like this is seen in every sport.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Striker
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm

Post by Striker »

Tanking is not trying to win, X! And the Demons weren't trying! Stick that "experimented" bullshit up your arse!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
Tanking is not trying to win, X! And the Demons weren't trying! Stick that "experimented" bullshit up your arse!
Again, where's your official definition? :-k oh and KEs opinion doesn't count.

Even so, trying not to win is rubbish anyway because the players are trying to win :roll:
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

Official definition? Who are you kidding? One of your own legends Libba said it on ABC News (see the Wikipedia article's list of sources in the link El provided). The Demons TANKED!!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
Official definition? Who are you kidding? One of your own legends Libba said it on ABC News (see the Wikipedia article's list of sources in the link El provided). The Demons TANKED!!
Libba would know how?

And by your definition tanking is evident in EVERY sport because dead rubber are always used to try new players, positions, tactics, at the expense of winning.
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

But they still try to win on the day! The Demons didn't try to win! BIG fucking difference!!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
But they still try to win on the day! The Demons didn't try to win! BIG fucking difference!!
As do Melbourne. The coaches try new tactics, play new players, rest injured players, et edit.

Tennis Australia, cricket Australia, etc etc do exactly the same
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

You don't know what tanking is. The end.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
You don't know what tanking is. The end.
Nor do you apparently :lol:
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

No, you don't. I do. And so does every other thinker in this world. The end.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
No, you don't. I do. And so does every other thinker in this world. The end.
Well all youve come up with is "trying not to win" which could be said for just about every dead rubber in sport.

Take a mulligan. I'll let you have another go.... :wink:
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

Get fucked. The end.