AFL - participation numbers boom

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: AFL - participation numbers boom

Post by Xman »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:
Say what you want you tinfoil hat wearers, the AFL participation numbers are growing every year. :\: :\:

Meanwhile RL numbers must be plummeting given theyre forced to ban entire teams at a time for unnecessary violence. :lol:

fudgey fudgey ...... [-( [-( [-( naughty naughty [-X [-X [-X [-X
Independent ABS data shows the figures are correct. Or does this source fudge data to? :roll:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Drac
Coach
Coach
Team: Adelaide Crows

Post by Drac »

Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:
Say what you want you tinfoil hat wearers, the AFL participation numbers are growing every year. :\: :\:

Meanwhile RL numbers must be plummeting given theyre forced to ban entire teams at a time for unnecessary violence. :lol:

Are these numbers fudged?

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... eation~116
Raiderdave wrote:
perception is reality
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Drac wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
*cough* one of the four 'key participation areas' is rather ambiguously titled 'schools' *cough cough fudge fudge*

Allow me to elaborate. Please picture the 'independent' data collector employed by the AFL to gather participation numbers in schools as she calls one school in a long list of schools.

AFL's 'Independent data collector:
Ahem hi im shelly fudgeworthy ringing from AFL HQ. I'm an 'Independent' data collector, could you please put me through to the head of your PE department? Thanks

Head of PE Department:
Hi, its Sam speaking

Shelly Fudgeworthy reading off prescribed text: Hi I'm Shelly Fudgeworthy and im calling on behalf of ... ... ... Could you please inform me of how many children are at your school and whether all of these children participate in physical education?

Head of PE: Yeah sure, we have 369 children and all of them do physical education at some point.

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Great great... ahh and can you tell me, do you conduct AFL classes as part of PE?

Head of PE: Ahh actually no we dont sorry. We thought about it once but we prefer teaching touch footy.

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Oh... ahh (checks her prescribed notes again) well have you ever seen an AFL ball being played with by children in the school? At recess for example?

Head of PE: Ahhhh that's hard to say...I've been here a long time now....ahhh whatta they called again 'Sherrings"?

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Yes! That's it!

Head of PE: Ah like the ones that are made through slave child labor in India?

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Yes yes! That's us, i mean that's the ball we use. Have you seen the children using it?

Head of PE: I think so...

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Sorry how many children at your school again? I forgot the number.

Head of PE: 369

Shelly Fudgworthy: (as she marks 369 in the 'participation' box for this school): Excellent, thanks Sam, that's all I need to know.

Head of PE: Hang on wait a minute what are you using (Sam is cut off as the phone hangs up) --- beep beep beep.

Going off historical facts and the AFL's past descriptions of 'participation', I'd say this is fairly close to what's gone on down at AFL HQ during their collection of participation numbers across Australia.

:wink:
The thing I find most convincing about this post is the number of sources and facts it has to back it up.
You think that the AFL's definition of and counting of participation hasnt been stooped in controversy? :lol:

It's likely my take on the data collection above is quite accurate :D

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Stewie
Coach
Coach
Team: Port Adelaide Football Club

Post by Stewie »

With the Swans winning and the Giants continuing their community based programs in western Sydney, this is just the beginning of a huge increase of participation in New South Wales.
Raiderdave wrote:

7K is a tremendous turnout
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Drac wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:
*cough* one of the four 'key participation areas' is rather ambiguously titled 'schools' *cough cough fudge fudge*

Allow me to elaborate. Please picture the 'independent' data collector employed by the AFL to gather participation numbers in schools as she calls one school in a long list of schools.

AFL's 'Independent data collector:
Ahem hi im shelly fudgeworthy ringing from AFL HQ. I'm an 'Independent' data collector, could you please put me through to the head of your PE department? Thanks

Head of PE Department:
Hi, its Sam speaking

Shelly Fudgeworthy reading off prescribed text: Hi I'm Shelly Fudgeworthy and im calling on behalf of ... ... ... Could you please inform me of how many children are at your school and whether all of these children participate in physical education?

Head of PE: Yeah sure, we have 369 children and all of them do physical education at some point.

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Great great... ahh and can you tell me, do you conduct AFL classes as part of PE?

Head of PE: Ahh actually no we dont sorry. We thought about it once but we prefer teaching touch footy.

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Oh... ahh (checks her prescribed notes again) well have you ever seen an AFL ball being played with by children in the school? At recess for example?

Head of PE: Ahhhh that's hard to say...I've been here a long time now....ahhh whatta they called again 'Sherrings"?

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Yes! That's it!

Head of PE: Ah like the ones that are made through slave child labor in India?

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Yes yes! That's us, i mean that's the ball we use. Have you seen the children using it?

Head of PE: I think so...

Shelly Fudgeworthy: Sorry how many children at your school again? I forgot the number.

Head of PE: 369

Shelly Fudgworthy: (as she marks 369 in the 'participation' box for this school): Excellent, thanks Sam, that's all I need to know.

Head of PE: Hang on wait a minute what are you using (Sam is cut off as the phone hangs up) --- beep beep beep.

Going off historical facts and the AFL's past descriptions of 'participation', I'd say this is fairly close to what's gone on down at AFL HQ during their collection of participation numbers across Australia.

:wink:
The thing I find most convincing about this post is the number of sources and facts it has to back it up.
You think that the AFL's definition of and counting of participation hasnt been stooped in controversy? :lol:

It's likely my take on the data collection above is quite accurate :D
As I said , no matter how you count the participation numbers, they are growing! =D> =D>
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Stewie wrote:
With the Swans winning and the Giants continuing their community based programs in western Sydney, this is just the beginning of a huge increase of participation in New South Wales.
Yes stewie I agree. Actually since i last played in the sydney comp for just half a season in 06 the comp seems to have improved and there seems to be numerous more grades playing.

xman wrote:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes Xman they are growing but really it would be nice if the AFL described participation properly rather than distorting the figures.

'schools' indeed :lol: what a dodgy organisation.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Yes Xman they are growing but really it would be nice if the AFL described participation properly rather than distorting the figures.

'schools' indeed :lol: what a dodgy organisation.
How is it distorting figures? They've seen an increase in auskick, school, and club participation numbers! =D> =D>
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

Pete_09 wrote:
How good are those numbers.

Well done AFL, keep it going!! Please take out both Rugby codes so Footy & Soccer (to a lessor extent) are our main games.
Excellent growth indeed. Numbers in Sydney and Greater Western Sydney are particularly impressive. Well done AFL. =D>

NSW/ACT numbers reach record high

As AFL participation grows across the country, NSW/ACT experienced an unprecedented boom to become the second-highest ranked state for AFL player numbers.

AFL NSW/ACT has released its 2012 participation numbers and is pleased to report that this year NSW/ACT has recorded an unprecedented number of participants across all programs, and is now ranked second in total participation in Australia.

NSW/ACT recorded an increase of 7339 participants in Auskick programs, making the total NSW/ACT Auskick player number of 48,965 the largest in the country for the first time in the program’s history. Percentage growth in the Auskick numbers in Sydney South (137.78%) and Greater Western Sydney (43.37%) was particularly exceptional for the year.

AFL NSW/ACT General Manager Tom Harley said the growth in participation was an outstanding result for the emerging market.

"2012 has been the biggest year for Australian football on all levels in NSW and the ACT, so it naturally follows that we’ve seen a big jump in player numbers," he said.

"With the GWS GIANTS making their debut this season and the Swans winning the flag, it has been a great year to be involved in AFL in NSW/ACT."

"We’re so fortunate to have both a premiership winning club in the Swans, and to be able to watch some of the AFL’s most exciting young talent at GWS right here in Sydney."

The Greater Western Sydney region recorded the highest growth in NSW/ACT, with total player numbers increasing by more than eight thousand to 36,460 – a growth of 28.74 per cent.

Harley says AFL NSW/ACT staff have made a tremendous effort to increase the number of participants in all programs.

"Everyone has worked exceptionally hard to leverage the increase in AFL football in NSW/ACT to an increase in participation at the grassroots level."

"We’re pleased that our total participation number of 148,230 ranks us second behind Victoria for the first time ever. It’s wonderful to see so many young girls and boys playing Australian football, and it certainly augurs well for the future of football in NSW/ACT."

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.php?id=235
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

Drac wrote:
Raiderdave wrote:
Xman wrote:

Are these numbers fudged?

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf ... eation~116

the ABS says... 223K played VFL in 2010
in 2012 apparently its 895K

nothing sus there .... 8-[ .... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

Stewie wrote:

yes ... just like when the Swines won it in 2005 :wink:

of course lets ignore the fact that

the sport has actually gone backwards in NSW since then 8-[

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Raiderdave on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yep and I'd bet its all based in the so called 'participation in 'schools'. So so fudgeworthy :lol:

xman wrote:
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach

Post by Raiderdave »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Yep and I'd bet its all based in the so called 'participation in 'schools'. So so fudgeworthy :lol:

E .... even our own Federal Govt gave the VFL a few of these .. :^o :^o [-X [-X [-X
regarding their participation figures & how misleading they were

they didn't believe them
so why should anyone else :wink:
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million

King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes I know Dave, it's really quite shameful. While it may be just to incite, Xman's and others support of these figures is completely lamo. We all know the figures are ruthlessly misleading. The NRL could hatch up their own participation figures on some two bit scheme to make themselves look better than they are...but they don't, and i think thats commendable.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

So the ABS are controlled by the AFL?

Quick, get your tinfoil hats on!! :lol: