Soccer v Footy

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Re: Soccer v Footy

Post by Xman »

eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Pretty sure if you fail completely then you give the other team the ball so they try can and run past the defence to score. Doesn't seem to reward failure with a score now does it.
It gives you multiple chances to score. It's like an AFL player missing the goals but being given another chance because they failed, not once but 5 times! :?
So your trying to draw a comparison with AFL who reward you when you miss and reward tanking with the NRL because the NRL has a 5 tackle rule?

Thy name is desperation........... :lol:
A miss in the AFL isnt rewarded with a score. :roll: Does an archer or dart thrower get a score if he misses the board? Does a cricketer score if he misses the ball? Does a bowler get a score if he gutters the ball?

All I am pointing out is that RL also rewards a failed attempt to score, not with a score but with another chance to score, again and again.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
piesman2011
Coach
Coach
Team: Collingwood

Post by piesman2011 »

Xman wrote:
eelofwest wrote:
Xman wrote:
It gives you multiple chances to score. It's like an AFL player missing the goals but being given another chance because they failed, not once but 5 times! :?
So your trying to draw a comparison with AFL who reward you when you miss and reward tanking with the NRL because the NRL has a 5 tackle rule?

Thy name is desperation........... :lol:
A miss in the AFL isnt rewarded with a score. :roll: Does an archer or dart thrower get a score if he misses the board? Does a cricketer score if he misses the ball? Does a bowler get a score if he gutters the ball?

All I am pointing out is that RL also rewards a failed attempt to score, not with a score but with another chance to score, again and again.
A behind was introduced in the early days around the start of the 20th century as a way to stop the common occurance of a draw(rather then one in ten matches being a draw, one in a hundred are now a draw. Often a behind can be a disadvantage because it puts the ball into the oppositions hands which gives them an oppotunity to score.
VickyKicky
Team: Mars

Post by VickyKicky »

Xman wrote:

Your reply completely misses the point so much you probably think you scored a behind!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

VickyKicky wrote:
Xman wrote:

Your reply completely misses the point so much you probably think you scored a behind!
Explain your point prperly then. So far your attempted tried have failed each time. But have another go by all means. :D
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Xman wrote:

Explain your point prperly then. So far your attempted tried have failed each time. But have another go by all means. :D
Ok I'll try and explain my point "prperly"

-In football (round ball) if a shot hits the bar, post, goes just wide/just over the score remains the same
-In rugby (both codes) if a player is tackled just before the try line, the score remains the same

Do you see where I'm coming from now? close is not good enough for any score in those codes, yet when it comes to aussie rules, a good attempt is rewarded, even though it missed. You can see why the rest of the world (and perhaps half of australia) would find this rather confusing and quite funny really.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

VickyKicky wrote:
Xman wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Ok I'll try and explain my point "prperly"

-In football (round ball) if a shot hits the bar, post, goes just wide/just over the score remains the same
-In rugby (both codes) if a player is tackled just before the try line, the score remains the same

Do you see where I'm coming from now? close is not good enough for any score in those codes, yet when it comes to aussie rules, a good attempt is rewarded, even though it missed. You can see why the rest of the world (and perhaps half of australia) would find this rather confusing and quite funny really.
In AFL when a player attempts to evade a tackle and is caught, and fails to dispose of the ball, they are penalised and possession is given to the other team. :wink:

In cricket, if the batsmen misses the ball and it hits his body he can still score a run. When an archer misses the bullseye he still scores something as long as he hits the target. Same for darts. Same for bowling. Seems like there are a number of sports that reward more than just perfection with a score. The scores are graded to reward the players with more skill. :wink:
58shark
Team: West Coast Eagles

Post by 58shark »

VickyKicky wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
I hear ya mate. I can't understand how one is meant to get excited about a soccer game. Boring as bat **** if you ask me with pooncy players all over the field taking dives. The fans riot in the stands because nothing happens on the field. Fancy going to a game to see a 0-0 draw. #-o
Fancy going to a game where a miss is a score :lol:

And you call it a "behind" as well, when the ball goes to the side :o

Mind you I guess if you've seen Melbourne's hook turn logic, what do you expect from the Victorians #-o
But hey vicky....the soccer girls can score a goal by hitting it through with anything but the hand...hence "hit it with yer heed mon, hit it with yer heed" :lol: Also, please tell me why when on the odd occasion someone scores, they run around the field with their jumper pulled over their head :sick: FFS!
Striker
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm

Post by Striker »

VickyKicky wrote:
Mind you I guess if you've seen Melbourne's hook turn logic, what do you expect from the Victorians #-o
We have trams. So we need it. So that's a bad example.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

58shark wrote:
VickyKicky wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
But hey vicky....the soccer girls can score a goal by hitting it through with anything but the hand...hence "hit it with yer heed mon, hit it with yer heed" :lol: Also, please tell me why when on the odd occasion someone scores, they run around the field with their jumper pulled over their head :sick: FFS!
Well scoring in football is quite hard, so when a ball hits the back of the net you celebrate, do you have a problem with that?
58shark
Team: West Coast Eagles

Post by 58shark »

Three things in life I dare you to do. 1. Watch grass grow 2. Watch paint dry 3. Watch a game of soccer. You may need to break the soccer match up with a bit of grass and paint watching - just to make sure you actually get a bit of excitement!!!!
Striker
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm

Post by Striker »

I think there's one thing we all agree on. Soccer is $hit!!
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

58shark wrote:
Three things in life I dare you to do. 1. Watch grass grow 2. Watch paint dry 3. Watch a game of soccer. You may need to break the soccer match up with a bit of grass and paint watching - just to make sure you actually get a bit of excitement!!!!
Just tried it and I've gotta say watching football was far more interesting but thanks for the advice!

So just to reciprocate, here are three things I dare you to do. 1. Ask yourself why in your beloved code, the two best paid players had never even played a competitive game of aussie rules before they were signed to play in the AFL 2. Ask yourself how much respect this would generate in the eyes of the wider sporting public 3. Ask yourself how much disrespect the signing of these 2 former NRL players had to those who actually love the code of aussie rules. You do realise that there are 2 potential AFL players, who are being denied a career because the AFL put marketing above playing ability.
VickyKicky

Post by VickyKicky »

Striker wrote:
Each to their own, but I'm sure the worlds most popular sport can just about live without your support.
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

VickyKicky wrote:
58shark wrote:
Just tried it and I've gotta say watching football was far more interesting but thanks for the advice!

So just to reciprocate, here are three things I dare you to do. 1. Ask yourself why in your beloved code, the two best paid players had never even played a competitive game of aussie rules before they were signed to play in the AFL 2. Ask yourself how much respect this would generate in the eyes of the wider sporting public 3. Ask yourself how much disrespect the signing of these 2 former NRL players had to those who actually love the code of aussie rules. You do realise that there are 2 potential AFL players, who are being denied a career because the AFL put marketing above playing ability.
1. Its called marketing. They are paid minimal wage to play and a great deal of money for marketing duties outside their playing requirements.
2. It created, and continues to create, substantial media interest which is easy to measure. How do you measure respect?
3. Barely any. Every AFL fan knows they are paid a modest fee to play, and a substantial fee to promote the game into new expansion markets.
4. K Hunt is in the top 18 players on the suns list. He's earned his spot. Izzy is still very young in ears and experience and has a lot further to go. But his performances have been similar to other first year key position players. They usually take 4-5 years in the system to begin to produce results.
pookus
Seniors
Seniors
Team: North Melbourne

Post by pookus »

Striker wrote:
Only game in the world where they seperate the fans while the palyers walk out holding hands.Bizarre.