AFL No.2 Man Needed to Lead Hapless NRL

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

AFL No.2 Man Needed to Lead Hapless NRL

Post by Beaussie »

FFS NRL, can't you develop any of your own talent when it comes to the administration of your silly game?

Clearly not. #-o
NRL out to poach AFL's No. 2 man Gillon McLachlan to replace David Gallop as NRL CEO
Andrew Hamilton
The Courier-Mail
August 17, 20123:45PM

THE NRL are trying to poach the AFL's No. 2 man Gillon McLachlan.

It is understood the committee established by the NRL's newly formed independent commission have made contact with McLachlan about switching codes to serve as the new CEO of the NRL.

David Gallop was sacked as CEO in June following a falling out with ARLC chairman John Grant.

AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said he did not want to lose McLachlan but was not surprised the rival code had made a play for his highly regarded deputy.

The NRL job might appeal to McLachlan who is ambitious and had seen himself as Demetriou's successor.

And Demtriou's recent claims that he intended to continue in the role may have convinced McLachlan to pursue other opportunities.

Demetriou said today McLachlan was in Sydney yesterday to meet with media partners, not the AFL's biggest rival.

"I don't know (if he is going), I hope not," Demetriou said on 3AW.

"It would be surprising to me if someone hadn't spoken to him, or hadn't approached him because he is a very talented.

"He is a very dedicated AFL person, loves the game and has been a great servant to myself and the game for 12 years.

"I hope he sticks around - absolutely (we would fight to keep him)."

But Demetriou also said he had no plans to step down and pass the batton to McLachlan in the near future.

"My future as far as AFL football is pretty much certain," Demetriou said.

"I have committed myself, I have got unfinished business and I made that statement before I left.

"(I want to stay) indefinitely, because I look forward to the challenges ahead.

"We have got 18 clubs, we want to have 18 sustainable, profitable football clubs.

"There are a lot of challenges going forward - and that is a good thing that they are ambitious."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6452733912
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman
Been liked: 0

Re: AFL No.2 Man Needed to Lead Hapless NRL

Post by cos789 »

The best man for the job is always an AFL man.
How will the rl types handle being talked to by a Victorian?
How long before he suggests a few improvements like no offside, marking, bouncing the ball and outlawing throwing ?

Nice try Cos.
Striker
Coach
Coach
Team: Melbourne Storm

Post by Striker »

For God's sakes!!

Hey you two, the only reason League is going after that guy is to undermine the AFL! Dead easy to do!
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
For God's sakes!!

Hey you two, the only reason League is going after that guy is to undermine the AFL! Dead easy to do!
:lol: :lol:

Nice one!

The NRL fans complained constantly about how woeful Gallop was. Its well acknowledged that the AFL have the countries best sports administration. Thats why theyre after him. :roll:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

No, it's to undermine the AFL!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
No, it's to undermine the AFL!
Undermining by taking a single administrator out of a billion dollar business? :lol:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

Yeah! If he's as good as all that!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
Yeah! If he's as good as all that!
They have many many good people. Take him, go ahead, he'd be 10 times better than Gallop.
Striker
Coach
Coach

Post by Striker »

And the AFL will struggle without him! They won't let him go for that reason! You watch!
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Striker wrote:
And the AFL will struggle without him! They won't let him go for that reason! You watch!
:lol: :lol:

Yeah right. #-o
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

Worried clubs poach AFL's secrets
BY: STUART HONEYSETT From: The Australian September 01, 2012 12:00AM

A GROUP of the game's most powerful clubs commissioned a report into the strengths of the NRL's fiercest competitor, the AFL, to make sure the game takes full advantage of the recently negotiated $1.025 billion media rights deal.

The Weekend Australian understands the report was requested well before the ARL Commission was formed and was instigated because several clubs were concerned the game was facing stagnation.

Details of the report emerged yesterday and came as the commission continues to pursue the AFL's chief operating officer, Gillon McLachlan, for the top job in the NRL. It is believed McLachlan had a hand in many of the positive strategies uncovered by the report.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant has made no secret of his high regard for the way the AFL does business, and the report's findings certainly back that up. It shows the AFL generated revenue last year in the vicinity of $343 million compared with the NRL's $155 million.

It concludes: "This severely impacts the level of distribution to clubs and other growth opportunities for the game."

The report says the AFL handed out $159m to its clubs compared with $58m for the NRL.

AFL's players also benefited more, with its players' association receiving a $21m slice of the pie compared with nothing for the rugby league players' union.

The document also contains 10 points detailing the AFL's strategies and structures that it believes the NRL could learn from. These include:

HAVING a clear national footprint where each market has a local derby;

FOCUSING on the broadcast rights throughout the life of the deal - not just two years from when it ends (McLachlan has been speaking with broadcasters in Sydney this week);

UNDERSTANDING the competition will suffer without financially viable clubs (most NRL clubs only survive on the grants of leagues clubs, or the goodwill of private owners);

HAVING quality stadiums that maximises the game-day experience for all stakeholders;

HAVING a distinct government lobby in the key areas of education, infrastructure, community and communications;

HAVING an internal business consulting unit to assist clubs as well as a shared services unit to assist with membership growth;

A FIRM belief that investing in game development and community will grow the brand;

A FUTURE fund (which will contain $144m in the next five years for the AFL) where each club gets a minimum payment and then has to put forward business plans for individual projects;

A FOCUS on developing new revenue streams, including AFL Media, AFL Events and AFL Travel.

The fact the ARL Commission is pursuing McLachlan augurs well for the clubs, who believe it is time for a fresh approach. The sticking point is believed to be his salary, with reports the commission will have to pay upwards of $1.5m to lure McLachlan away from the AFL, where he is seen as the eventual successor to current boss Andrew Demetriou.

Racing NSW chief Peter V'landys is also in the running, while there is a third candidate who has been identified only as an interstate businessman. Grant said on Thursday it was unlikely a replacement for former NRL chief executive David Gallop would be made before the end of the season.

Club bosses were reluctant to comment yesterday for fear of being linked to the document but one said of the prospect of hiring McLachlan: "The reality is that I believe the CEO should be appointed from outside the game.

"That's a positive for the game - new ideas, new thoughts and new ways forward.

Seriously, can't the NRL do anything for themselves?
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Who?
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
Raiderdave
Coach
Coach
Team: Canberra

Post by Raiderdave »

yeah

of course they negoiated a bigger TV deal then the VFL without him

but of course they're hapless aren't they 8-[

FMD
what a bet welching tool you are Bearsy :lol: :lol: :lol:
RL SOO II 4.194 Million veiwers
RL SOO I 4.068 Million
NRL GF 3.968 Million
VFL Grand Final 3.620 Million
SOO III 3.364 Million
NRL Prelim 2.219 Million
Kangaroos V NZ 1.214 Million

Sookerwhos V Japan 238K :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
Who?
You know exactly who he is. How about you lot develop your own talent. Fucking desperados. :oops: :oops: :oops:
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

Who?
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.