AFL going soft.

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

AFL going soft.

Post by eelofwest »

Tell us: Is the AFL going too soft?

THE sanitisation of the AFL is creating a boring game with no personalities, according to former Melbourne star David Schwarz.
He cites recent examples of Joel Selwood's reprimand for pushing his brother Adam, and Jack Ziebell's suspension for bumping Aaron Joseph, as "victims of a cotton-wool approach the AFL is trying to establish around its reputation".

Schwarz says that has created a game devoid of characters of a previous era, such as his former teammate Allen Jakovich and former Cat Mark 'Jacko' Jackson.

"I believe the game was better 10 years ago," Schwarz writes in his Geelong Advertiser column.

"In the last decade it has become too fast, too zoned, too defensive and too scared to have some combative injuries.
"The characters that make our game great aren't allowed to be watched.

"If the AFL keeps sanitising the sport, as it has been this season, then the crowds will dwindle, the spectacle will fade and our great game will be something for the history books."
Schwarz got the backing of a former opponent, ex-Cat Tim McGrath.
But McGrath did add: "Some of it's right, they had to get a lot more professional."
"They're full-time athletes and all that training six days a week, I've got no dramas with that sort of thing, but I think to a degree they've taken people's personalities away," McGrath said.
"Players who were charismatic, that's gone.
"The Selwood thing, pushing his brother - they're thinking about suspending a bloke for that? I understand they've got to protect people and protect players' heads, but they've taken the fun out of it.
"I love watching the footy, but there are some things that happen now that you just look at it and go 'You've got to be kidding me'."
AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson this week defended the Selwood decision, and the assertion that fans were unhappy with the way the game was headed.
"We know for a fact that the level of discontent with match review panel and tribunal decisions is nothing like what it was prior to the revamp of the tribunal system," he told SEN.
"It is an emotional, passionate game, (but) we don't think that interfering with an injured player is part of the fabric of the game."
Schwarz and McGrath both bemoaned the loss of traditional one-on-one contests.
"You used to love seeing the one-on-one duels. Blokes playing on Gary Ablett, Jason Dunstall, Wayne Carey, Dermott Brereton," McGrath said.
"You were gauged as a player by how you played on the good players and whether you could beat them one-on-one or not.
"Now, you see the key forwards, Buddy Franklin, Taylor Walker, all these fellas that can kick goals, as soon as their direct opponent's there and the ball goes in the air, there's two blokes coming off their men."

I Found the fans comments even more compelling.... :lol: :lol:
Rob Bradley of Darwin Posted at 1:23pm today.

You are kidding right.??OF COURSE THEY ARE SOFT.This mob the AFL,their poxy MRP, Barlett and his mob on a rules committee that,by the way, are not needed in our game HAVE TURNED OUR GAME INTO A FARCICAL JOKE.The Joel Selwood report is the icing on the cake for the lunacy that surrounds our game.I AM ABSOLUTELY FILTHY THAT THIS RIDICULOUS REPORT WAS MADE AND UPHELD.OUR game is now officially a farce.
Shari Stillman of Drysdale Posted at 12:26pm today

Footy has become such a 'bubble wrap' sport and it's becoming extremely frustrating to watch the umpires make ridiculous calls! It will get to the stage where netballers can get away more... Like come on, considering suspending Joel Selwood for a little shove on his brother is stupid! A kid could push another kid over in the school yard and no one would give a rats about it! I'm only 17 and obviously wasn't around when the game was a lot rougher, but in the past few years it's changed so much.
Fed Up Posted at 11:14am today

Yes I won't be renewing my membership next year out of these frustrations. I'll be playing golf instead. Same frustration I know, similar contact sport these days though.
Ash of Geelong Posted at 11:13am today

Ox we have to have a no turn up to the footy day to get the message across or can someone start a petition or movement to tell the AFL , Rules Comittee and the MRP that we are not happy with the games direction and rulings. Footy was great 10 years ago , skilful , bumps odd shirtfront no head duckers or players pleading for free kicks when the ball goes over the boundary, keep it up Ox.
Mark Posted at 10:36am today

It seems that the AFL is too concerned with upsetting the kiddies watching that the historical gladiatorial foundations of our great game.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Re: AFL going soft.

Post by eelofwest »

Modern game confuses Woosha

West Coast coach John Worsfold says he is glad he is not playing in the AFL today after Joel Selwood's reprimand for pushing brother Adam on Friday night.

The Geelong captain was running down the wing in his team's loss to West Coast when older brother Adam collided with him at full tilt in an incident which saw them both on the ground momentarily.

However, Joel got to his feet first and pushed over Adam, who was on all fours recovering from the bump.

The Match Review Panel handed down a reprimand for misconduct, feeling Joel had 'made unnecessary or unreasonable contact with an injured player'.

The reprimand cost Selwood 80 demerit points and leaves him on 84 carryover points for the rest of the season.

"I'm glad I'm not playing now, because it wouldn't be any fun watching from the stands," Worsfold said when asked if the AFL was taking the fun out of the game.

"I always believed that when I played the game, a lot of my bumps were fair. But the way the game is these days, I'd be in strife in that regard."

The reprimand follows the AFL's crackdown on head high contact and protection of injured players.

Worsfold said he was comfortable with the AFL's position and need to protect the players.

"The game's in pretty good shape, and everyone's aware that we're protecting the head of the players," he said.

"That's made it a very fine line about whether players face sanctions from the Match Review Panel with any bump now that may look like it was the only option a player had available but you've got to take responsibility."

Worsfold said the match review panel had made the correct decision.

"We can all see the fun in it," he said.

"His (younger) brother pushed him over and says 'you did your best to knock me over and I'm jogging off and you're still on the ground'.

"But in the letter of the law, the Match Review Panel has a responsibility to look after injured players, and that's the way they saw it."

Joel will remain eligible to win the Brownlow medal despite the incident.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

with the recent Selwood incident I would have to agree
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

What I saw wasn't a push. Are you sure we are talking about the same incident? The one I saw was a charge in my book.

People in here accuse me of being an AFL apologist. Well here there is an issue, certainly regarding characters. One can be a character and yet still play it fair on game day. The sanitisation of characters who do a good post match interview is definitely something the AFL shouldn't be hauling up in any way - except when they blast the umpires or condone poor acts (like alchohol consumption and racism for instance).

On the general consensus on reportable incidents - here is what the AFL is trying to do. They are trying to stop kids trying to do the same thing in Under 10's. I'm serious. They believe that kids will see these hard bumps, and try to do the same thing on Saturday or Sunday morning when they play. And actually some do - as well as the fancy stuff (banana kicks and so on). Now it's a nice theory, but here's the rub. The AFL is actually interfering. Coaches at that level should be stopping kids from doing that. As far as the bumps go, it's up to the umpires to stop that (and I know that through experience - I umpire Under 10's completely differently to Under 16's for example). The problem is that numbers in umpiring are so low that it ends up being clubs who provide the umpires at that level.

On the other hand there's the old bugbear of insurance. That has to be a factor the other way, and that irks me!

It's a big mess that the AFL has created for themselves. It's not a case of the game getting soft. It's a case of the AFL is treating it's players like children. By all means, do the great job that has been done to wipe out king hits and so forth. But let's draw the line in a different spot to where it's being drawn now. And let's create the super safe environment for the real kids. Not adults, who know how to look after themselves.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol:

Superb thread eels. I agree entirely. "Pushing his brother" and "bumping another player" :lol: :lol: :lol:

The comments of the fans tells the story.

TLPG after your first line i couldnt bring myself to read your post. Unfortunately you are a perpetuator of this shameful trend. [-X

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Well maybe you should! Unless you are the coward I've already labelled you.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Ok I read it, just for you. What in gods name is wrong with kids "bumping eachother"?

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Kids get hurt and don't know any better. Controlling it correctly is the best way to bring kids to our great game. Besides, like I said the incident that I saw between the Selwoods wasn't a push. It was a charge.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Kids dont know any better. AFL coaches dont know any better. AFL players dont know any better. Anyone knonw better than you TLPG? :lol:

xman wrote:
eelofwest
Coach
Coach

Post by eelofwest »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Kids dont know any better. AFL coaches dont know any better. AFL players dont know any better. Anyone knonw better than you TLPG? :lol:
Remember King, as pookus pointed out these 2 numbskulls think they know more then people in the know..... :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol: I know

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

Certain coaches and players don't know any better. Most know better and agree with me and Xman. Those you are relying on are either being misinterpreted by you or the media (or both) - or they really don't know and should be shown the door. Bailey's already gone, and because he was a BS coach.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

TLPG wrote:
Most coaches know better and agree with me and Xman.

:lol: Yes yes, its art. Notice how I've tried to give this quote that nice poo vommit finish. :-k

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
TLPG wrote:
Most coaches know better and agree with me and Xman.

:lol: Yes yes, its art. Notice how I've tried to give this quote that nice poo vommit finish. :-k
youre certainly qualified to be an expert on poo and vomit. :wink:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Oh the quality of the comebacks are gettin a bit 1980s american sitcom. :lol:

Pick up yer game Xman

xman wrote: