Parramatta Stadium - Home of Soccer/Wanderers

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Parramatta Stadium - Home of Soccer/Wanderers

Post by Beaussie »

Where is the outrage KE, ParraEelsNRL, eelsofwest?

You've basically been told to step aside and your history means nothing... by soccer of all codes. :(/ :(/ :(/

If this was the AFL suggesting this there would be outrage in the Sydney media with suggestions of arrogance, no respect etc, etc.

Double standards from the RL media and fans again? Surprirse, surprise. :roll:
Cover-up as Price off limits for Wanderers
Date July 12, 2012
Sebastian Hassett

Under wraps ... Western Sydney Wanderers plan for Parramatta rugby league legend Ray Price is in the bag. Photo: Brendan Esposito

WHEN the Western Sydney Wanderers play their inaugural A-League match at Parramatta Stadium in October, don't expect to see rugby league legend Ray Price in the stands - and you might not see his famous statue out the front, either.

That's because the Wanderers are considering covering up Price's statue on match days as part of a plan to lessen the feeling that Parramatta Stadium is a rugby league venue and make football fans more ''at home''.

Exactly how the statue of Price - known during his playing days as Mr Perpetual Motion - will be obscured from public view remains unclear, and Football Federation Australia, which owns the club, has not officially decided whether or not to go ahead with the controversial plan.

There's also an outside possibility the Wanderers' might pull the same stunt as performed at Suncorp Stadium on grand final day last year. On that occasion the statue of Queensland's most revered rugby league figure, Wally Lewis, was cloaked in a Brisbane Roar jersey.

"In relation to Parramatta Stadium, it's a multi-purpose venue owned by the government, so I'm sure league fans would understand why we would want to make it feel like a real football stadium if the Wanderers play there," a club spokesman told the Herald. "There's a precedent here. The Brisbane Roar put a Roar jersey on the Wally Lewis statute at Suncorp Stadium for the 'Orange Sunday' grand final [in 2011], so maybe the Ray Price stature with a Wanderers jersey for home games is the right idea."

The Wanderers have officially committed to playing only their opening match, against the Central Coast Mariners, on October 6, but it is no secret the club will play most of its matches at the venue once it finalises negotiations with Parramatta Stadium Trust.

While only two A-League matches have been hosted at the venue, it is a stadium dripping with football history, having hosted seven NSL grand finals, between 1986 and 2004.

The FFA insists the proposal to cover up Price's cast is not about insulting rugby league but about maximising football's visual presence. It has already announced plans to rename the stands and terraces during the summer months.

An official told the Herald last month the FFA felt covering up any traces of rugby league was entirely appropriate. ''With all due respect to the Eels, we plan on making this a football venue when they're not there, and somewhere football people feel at home,'' the official said then. ''We're going to be a major tenant, an equal tenant, and they'll have to understand our desire that when we're playing there, we'll be putting our touch on the venue, even if that means covering up some blue and gold.

''I'm sure they won't have a problem with it and I'm sure the stadium trust will like the idea of the Wanderers doing all they can to attract people to Parramatta Stadium.''

A Wanderers fan club representative, Sean Herrett, said the plans had the backing of supporters.

"The fans really love the idea of making sure the Wanderers' home games are played in an authentic football atmosphere and surrounds," Herrett said "We want to have a say about naming the grandstands and the terraces after legends of Australian football, like Johnny Warren.

"Why shouldn't the Peter Sterling Hill be named after Mark Bosnich if the Wanderers play at Parramatta Stadium? Why wouldn't why we also cover up the Ray Price statue? That's up to the fans and the club to decide, but I don't think anything has been ruled out at this stage.''

Yet the revamped main entry to Allianz Stadium will have a greater rugby league and union theme than ever by the time the A-League season begins. Statues of Trevor Allan, Dally Messenger, Reg Gasnier and Ken Catchpole enjoy prime position in the stadium forecourt, next to the new Rugby League Central headquarters.

None have ever been tampered with by the lone football tenant, Sydney FC.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/co ... z20On9OliK
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Parramatta Stadium - Home of Soccer/Wanderers

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

It's soccer, why give it oxygen, should've done the same with the GWS, but meh, the idiots running that mob have fucked up more than anyone else ever will seeing as they are arrogant Victorians thinking they know what Sydney and the surrounds are like.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Post by eelofwest »

Beaussie wrote:
Where is the outrage KE, ParraEelsNRL, eelsofwest?

You've basically been told to step aside and your history means nothing... by soccer of all codes. :(/ :(/ :(/

If this was the AFL suggesting this there would be outrage in the Sydney media with suggestions of arrogance, no respect etc, etc.

Double standards from the RL media and fans again? Surprirse, surprise. :roll:
Cover-up as Price off limits for Wanderers
Date July 12, 2012
Sebastian Hassett

Under wraps ... Western Sydney Wanderers plan for Parramatta rugby league legend Ray Price is in the bag. Photo: Brendan Esposito

WHEN the Western Sydney Wanderers play their inaugural A-League match at Parramatta Stadium in October, don't expect to see rugby league legend Ray Price in the stands - and you might not see his famous statue out the front, either.

That's because the Wanderers are considering covering up Price's statue on match days as part of a plan to lessen the feeling that Parramatta Stadium is a rugby league venue and make football fans more ''at home''.

Exactly how the statue of Price - known during his playing days as Mr Perpetual Motion - will be obscured from public view remains unclear, and Football Federation Australia, which owns the club, has not officially decided whether or not to go ahead with the controversial plan.

There's also an outside possibility the Wanderers' might pull the same stunt as performed at Suncorp Stadium on grand final day last year. On that occasion the statue of Queensland's most revered rugby league figure, Wally Lewis, was cloaked in a Brisbane Roar jersey.

"In relation to Parramatta Stadium, it's a multi-purpose venue owned by the government, so I'm sure league fans would understand why we would want to make it feel like a real football stadium if the Wanderers play there," a club spokesman told the Herald. "There's a precedent here. The Brisbane Roar put a Roar jersey on the Wally Lewis statute at Suncorp Stadium for the 'Orange Sunday' grand final [in 2011], so maybe the Ray Price stature with a Wanderers jersey for home games is the right idea."

The Wanderers have officially committed to playing only their opening match, against the Central Coast Mariners, on October 6, but it is no secret the club will play most of its matches at the venue once it finalises negotiations with Parramatta Stadium Trust.

While only two A-League matches have been hosted at the venue, it is a stadium dripping with football history, having hosted seven NSL grand finals, between 1986 and 2004.

The FFA insists the proposal to cover up Price's cast is not about insulting rugby league but about maximising football's visual presence. It has already announced plans to rename the stands and terraces during the summer months.

An official told the Herald last month the FFA felt covering up any traces of rugby league was entirely appropriate. ''With all due respect to the Eels, we plan on making this a football venue when they're not there, and somewhere football people feel at home,'' the official said then. ''We're going to be a major tenant, an equal tenant, and they'll have to understand our desire that when we're playing there, we'll be putting our touch on the venue, even if that means covering up some blue and gold.

''I'm sure they won't have a problem with it and I'm sure the stadium trust will like the idea of the Wanderers doing all they can to attract people to Parramatta Stadium.''

A Wanderers fan club representative, Sean Herrett, said the plans had the backing of supporters.

"The fans really love the idea of making sure the Wanderers' home games are played in an authentic football atmosphere and surrounds," Herrett said "We want to have a say about naming the grandstands and the terraces after legends of Australian football, like Johnny Warren.

"Why shouldn't the Peter Sterling Hill be named after Mark Bosnich if the Wanderers play at Parramatta Stadium? Why wouldn't why we also cover up the Ray Price statue? That's up to the fans and the club to decide, but I don't think anything has been ruled out at this stage.''

Yet the revamped main entry to Allianz Stadium will have a greater rugby league and union theme than ever by the time the A-League season begins. Statues of Trevor Allan, Dally Messenger, Reg Gasnier and Ken Catchpole enjoy prime position in the stadium forecourt, next to the new Rugby League Central headquarters.

None have ever been tampered with by the lone football tenant, Sydney FC.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/a-league/co ... z20On9OliK
I do find your post funny beassie.

You do realize that the Parrammatta Eels will be getting paid some good cash to have the wanderers play at Parra Staduim?

I do follow the A league to an extent but now i will be following the Wanderers from now on. =D>

Also at least NRL accommodate Soccer unlike our melbournians and the world Cup Bid debacle. :lol: :lol:

AFL will do whatever it takes to keep soccer/football down. Soccer poses no threat to NRL, chalk and chease.

AFL a soft mans game, soccer a soft game. NRL a tough as nails game we don't compete with soccer in western Sydney.

The wanderers will out draw GWS in there first year, unlike GWS the wanderers actually have juniors and a competition at lower grades to build on........ :lol: :lol:

There is one part that i dont like and that is the renaming of the stands when the wanderers play........... :twisted:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

eelofwest wrote:
You do realize that the Parrammatta Eels will be getting paid some good cash to have the wanderers play at Parra Staduim?
Source? You do realise Parramatta Stadium is owned and operated by the State Government yeah? Why would the Eels get anything from the stadium owners?
eelofwest wrote:
I do follow the A league to an extent but now i will be following the Wanderers from now on.
Hope you enjoy games on the Mark Bosnich hill or in Johnny Warren grandstand with Ray Price covered up out the front. :lol: :lol: :lol:
eelofwest wrote:
Also at least NRL accommodate Soccer unlike our melbournians and the world Cup Bid debacle.
You don't have a choice. The State Government owns and operates the stadium dopey. Gees Louise #-o
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
It's soccer, why give it oxygen
Unlike us who told soccer to get fucked, when it came to trying to tell us what would happen to our stadiums during the world cup bid... you lot just get pushed aside and told what changes soccer will be making. :(/ :(/ :(/

OWNED by Soccer :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by MarkZZZ »

Lets see what we have here, we have the new A League team going to play soccer/football at Parramatta Stadium in the summer months when NRL is not being played there. Some idiot has suggested covering up the Ray Price statue and renaming Peter Sterling Hill after some soccer players name (name escapes me) Parramatta Stadium trust says that neither of those things are going to happen. What are we left with? They will play soccer/football at the time when the NRL will not be using it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what happens at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. When the cricket isn't being played there in the summer they let AFL use it in the winter?

What we have here is Beau going off half cocked again. He see's/hears something that he thinks is...............well to tell you the truth who knows what he is thinking, he puts it on here as if he believes it will damage the NRL's reputation. Another fail for Beau, MASSIVE FAIL.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
I never stated I'm right.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
call me a skirt lifting sheila.
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels

Post by eelofwest »

MarkZZZ wrote:
Lets see what we have here, we have the new A League team going to play soccer/football at Parramatta Stadium in the summer months when NRL is not being played there. Some idiot has suggested covering up the Ray Price statue and renaming Peter Sterling Hill after some soccer players name (name escapes me) Parramatta Stadium trust says that neither of those things are going to happen. What are we left with? They will play soccer/football at the time when the NRL will not be using it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what happens at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. When the cricket isn't being played there in the summer they let AFL use it in the winter?

What we have here is Beau going off half cocked again. He see's/hears something that he thinks is...............well to tell you the truth who knows what he is thinking, he puts it on here as if he believes it will damage the NRL's reputation. Another fail for Beau, MASSIVE FAIL.
Beassie you just got served..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

MarkZZZ wrote:
Lets see what we have here, we have the new A League team going to play soccer/football at Parramatta Stadium in the summer months when NRL is not being played there. Some idiot has suggested covering up the Ray Price statue and renaming Peter Sterling Hill after some soccer players name (name escapes me) Parramatta Stadium trust says that neither of those things are going to happen.
Really? I missed that part.
MarkZZZ wrote:
What are we left with? They will play soccer/football at the time when the NRL will not be using it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what happens at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. When the cricket isn't being played there in the summer they let AFL use it in the winter?
That is not the point here and you know it.

Soccer are proposing to change the names of grandstands and cover up a legends statue. On second thoughts, must not be much of a legend if that's the case. :?

Like I said though, if the AFL proposed this for the GWS Giants, there would be outrage. Double standards from the NRL media and fans like I said in my opening post.
ParraEelsNRL
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 9 times

Post by ParraEelsNRL »

I know what is going to happen, either Parra stadium is going to get a decent up grade, or most of Parras home games outside a few will be played at ANZ.

The eels really do need to follow Canterbury and Souths in regards to ANZ if Parra is not completely rebuilt, look how the dogs crowds have grown over the last near decade, they finally averaged over 20k in that time, the eels done that first back in 1986 and they were the first club to average that. Yet these days Parra stadium is sold out at 19,500.

I'll put up with this soccer stuff if it means Parra gets rebuilt into a proper RL/Soccer stadium 50k up with a roof, all west Sydney sides could and would use it. Crowds would improve out of site.
But if not, ANZ will become home because when Parra are going well, their stadium simply isn't big enough.
signature removed by Admin.
User has been banned for this and similar comments.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

ParraEelsNRL wrote:
I know what is going to happen, either Parra stadium is going to get a decent up grade, or most of Parras home games outside a few will be played at ANZ.
Yeah, really? You can't fill Parra Stadium now let alone ever dreaming of quarter filling ANZ. Oh and would that mean according to the logic expressed by some on this site that Parra would be playing all their home games in the inner western suburbs of Sydney. Wouldn't be surprised I guess. Wests Tigers afterall play home games in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. :oops: :oops: :oops:
MarkZZZ
Captain
Captain
Team:
Has thanked: 0

Post by MarkZZZ »

Beaussie wrote:
MarkZZZ wrote:
Lets see what we have here, we have the new A League team going to play soccer/football at Parramatta Stadium in the summer months when NRL is not being played there. Some idiot has suggested covering up the Ray Price statue and renaming Peter Sterling Hill after some soccer players name (name escapes me) Parramatta Stadium trust says that neither of those things are going to happen.
Really? I missed that part.
MarkZZZ wrote:
What are we left with? They will play soccer/football at the time when the NRL will not be using it. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what happens at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. When the cricket isn't being played there in the summer they let AFL use it in the winter?
That is not the point here and you know it.

Soccer are proposing to change the names of grandstands and cover up a legends statue. On second thoughts, must not be much of a legend if that's the case. :?

Like I said though, if the AFL proposed this for the GWS Giants, there would be outrage. Double standards from the NRL media and fans like I said in my opening post.
That's right you went off half cocked and missed the full story. Just because some soccer/footbal official says thats what they would like, it's not going to happen unless the Parramatta Stadium Trust say yes, when they heard of it they said NO

Why would we care if someone uses the ground when we are not using it. It's the same as the comparison I made. Just imagine what the Melbourne Cricket Ground Trust would say if the AFL wanted to use it during the cricket season.

Not double standards at all. If the A League wanted to use it in the winter when we wanted to use it it would be different but they don't, that is the point.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
I never stated I'm right.
NRLCrap1 wrote:
call me a skirt lifting sheila.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Its just a media beatup. Nothing more nothing less. Not surprising ol beaussie fell for it hook line and sinker. :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
justanotherleaguefan
Seniors
Seniors
Team: Newcastle Knights

Post by justanotherleaguefan »

Beussie trying his best to make something minor and turn it into a big issue.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

So any word yet from the Parramatta Stadium Trust to say what is being proposed by the Wanderers is not going to happen? Nup, didn't think so.

Rugby League owned by Soccer in Sydney's west.

RL heartland :(/ :(/ :(/
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

justanotherleaguefan wrote:
Beussie trying his best to make something minor and turn it into a big issue.
So degrading a statue is nothing?
I guess it's only a rl statue.
You wouldn't want it done to serious memorial would you.

Nice try Cos.