Is The NRL more accessible to the working class?

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Is The NRL more accessible to the working class?

Post by King-Eliagh »

Howdy folks :wave:

An important question I'd like you to engage in. After watching the SOO last night I'd have to say RL is more accessible to working class folk. I was pleasantly surprised to see during the SOO intro that the vast majority of the NSW team played their junior footy in traditional working class suburbs and country/rural regions. Cabramatta, Cambelltown, Goulbourne and the like :) Yes this was the case for the vast majority of those who have made it to the pinnacle of their sport. I'm not sure about the working class suburbs in QLD but I'm sure the same applied to their team. This and the fact that the NRL has a vastly greater proportion of recently arrived immigrants playing at the top level confirms to me that the NRL is more accessible to Australia's working class folk than the AFL is.... :)

But I must admit I am somewhat naive when it comes to the AFL. Having only played marngrook for a few seasons and followed the AFL comp for 8 or so seasons I wouldnt be so sure where/which class its elite players are growing up amongst. My inkling is its a bit of everywhere and not so dominated by working class folk as is the case in the NRL. Can any of you AFL nutters who've never played the game provide us with some insight here?

Yours,
King

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
eelofwest
Coach
Coach
Team: Eels
Been liked: 0

Re: Is The NRL more accessible to the working class?

Post by eelofwest »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Howdy folks :wave:

An important question I'd like you to engage in. After watching the SOO last night I'd have to say RL is more accessible to working class folk. I was pleasantly surprised to see during the SOO intro that the vast majority of the NSW team played their junior footy in traditional working class suburbs and country/rural regions. Cabramatta, Cambelltown, Goulbourne and the like :) Yes this was the case for the vast majority of those who have made it to the pinnacle of their sport. I'm not sure about the working class suburbs in QLD but I'm sure the same applied to their team. This and the fact that the NRL has a vastly greater proportion of recently arrived immigrants playing at the top level confirms to me that the NRL is more accessible to Australia's working class folk than the AFL is.... :)

But I must admit I am somewhat naive when it comes to the AFL. Having only played marngrook for a few seasons and followed the AFL comp for 8 or so seasons I wouldnt be so sure where/which class its elite players are growing up amongst. My inkling is its a bit of everywhere and not so dominated by working class folk as is the case in the NRL. Can any of you AFL nutters who've never played the game provide us with some insight here?

Yours,
King
I would have to agree that the NSW team is made up of players from working class areas. Not so sure about QLD tho.
BTW King how good was origin 3..... :D
Haynee injured noooooooo :( wooden spoon for parra for sure now. :lol:
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Origin 3 was an awesome occassion, as was the whole series i reckon. I've lost hope for parra this season about 6 weeks ago. They're a complete shamozzle arent they. Bloody atrocious, the whole club at the moment.

One eyed AFL men, please feel free to provide some input when you have the time.

xman wrote:
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

I'm glad somebody brought this subject up so let's talk rationally here.
It should be on the main board.
First of all "accessible" is the wrong word.
Australian Fooball might have had trouble accessing grounds in Sydney that's not what you're talking about.
But we all agree that rl is "pitched" at the working class. You hear it all the time.
That was probably very beneficial to initially build the code but IMO now it's a millstone especially to expansion.

Nice try Cos.
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

I'd like to know how KE thinks ARs is less accessible to any social or economical group in Australia.
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

How? I dont know anus mouth. That's the reason I'd like to open discussion. First we must ascertain whether the AFL is less accessible to the working class folk of the country and then we may discuss how this might be so.

After watching last nights game and the fact the NRL employs a far higher percentage of recent immigrants than the afl my inkling is yes, there are less working class folk represented in the AFL. Whats yours anus mouth?

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
How? I dont know anus mouth. That's the reason I'd like to open discussion. First we must ascertain whether the AFL is less accessible to the working class folk of the country and then we may discuss how this might be so.

After watching last nights game and the fact the NRL employs a far higher percentage of recent immigrants than the afl my inkling is yes, there are less working class folk represented in the AFL. Whats yours anus mouth?
To make the assumption that the NRL have more working class players you must first know the numbers of "working class" participants from both codes.

Come back to us when you've got something worth saying instead of your usual uneducated dribble. :roll:
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman how many times have I told you to read?
Xman aka anus mouth cant read wrote:
To make the assumption that the NRL have more working class players you must first know the numbers of "working class" participants from both codes.

Come back to us when you've got something worth saying instead of your usual uneducated dribble. :roll:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Yours,
King

Seriously this is my quote from the opening post. You really are just blabbing on to yourself in here arent you? So lame you are, so lame.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman how many times have I told you to read?
Xman aka anus mouth cant read wrote:

King-Eliagh wrote:

Yours,
King

Seriously this is my quote from the opening post. You really are just blabbing on to yourself in here arent you? So lame you are, so lame.
Why start a thread on some baseless notion? You clearly implied it but without a shred of fact or even logic! #-o
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

The fact that the vast majority of NSW ORigin players come from working class towns is enough fact for me Xman. Its proof RL is alive and well in Sydney's working class suburbs and rural nsw.

Get some credibility about you Xman you silly 'baseless notion'.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
The fact that the vast majority of NSW ORigin players come from working class towns is enough fact for me Xman. Its proof RL is alive and well in Sydney's working class suburbs and rural nsw.

Get some credibility about you Xman you silly 'baseless notion'.
No, it's proof the NsW SOO team just happens to have a proportion of players from working class towns. What about the entire NrL comp? What about the QLD SOO team? What about the AFL?

#-o #-o
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Here's a question that no one is asking. What constitutes "working class"? And what constitutes a "working class suburb"?

Come on, KE, let's hear your explanation to that one!

Needed to be said.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
cos789
Coach
Coach
Team: Wookie is a failed pathetic ugly woman

Post by cos789 »

TLPG wrote:
Here's a question that no one is asking. What constitutes "working class"? And what constitutes a "working class suburb"?

Come on, KE, let's hear your explanation to that one!

Needed to be said.
I don't get the notion of "accessible".
Ice Hockey is not very accessible to Australians because we don't have many Ice Hockey rinks.
Australian Football is finally getting easier to access.
Is he saying rl is easier to access because it's played in government schools.
You hear all the time that rl is pitched at the "working class", it's a working class game.
I see this as a great negative. One, you're appealing to only one sector.
Two, the "working class" is an ever diminishing class in the modern robotic world
What do you put the self-employed in?
IMO rl is accessible to the non working class - just go down to centre link and grab the scum.
Nice try Cos.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

:lol:

See what I'm working with here? Folks who dont understand what working class or accessible means :lol: :lol:

Three donkeys :lol: they go "eeeaawww" "eeaaaww" "eeaaww" :lol:

xman wrote:
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Post by TLPG »

Being lazy again, KE? Typical! Simple question and you run from giving an answer.....
THIS FORUM IS RACIST