Racism in the NRL Continues

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
pookus
Seniors
Seniors
Team: North Melbourne
Been liked: 0

Re: Racism in the NRL Continues

Post by pookus »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Yes Grim you might be onto something there. There's been a lot of controversy about this, going back to and before mundene wasnt picked. I wonder how QLD of all places seems to be the better state in all of this. I guess having legends leading the show up there like mal and artie has helped.
Is this an admission that NSW is a racist cesspool,imagine falling behind the land of Katta and Hansen on this issue.And surely your game reflects its heartlands ignorance.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

No I think if you read the post without your prior bias judgement you'll see its nothing of the sort.

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon

Post by Xman »

James Stancliffe: While I was at the State of Origin match last Wednesday, I heard many racist epithets directed at the Aboriginal members of the Queensland team and at Akuila Uate for NSW.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3522732.htm

Racism is rife in the NRL! No wonder though. It all goes unpunished!
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

The fans are not ahem 'in the nrl xman'. And the punishment of this is very tricky. I'm sure its true but how can it be proven? Could you inform us more of how this collingwood fan was banned? Did he own up to his racist taunts?

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
The fans are not ahem 'in the nrl xman'. And the punishment of this is very tricky. I'm sure its true but how can it be proven? Could you inform us more of how this collingwood fan was banned? Did he own up to his racist taunts?
He was reported by Dale Thomas from Collingwood and other Collingwood supporters near him. Why havent the same actions been taken against this NRL SOO supporter group? Why hasn't their right to attend NRL games been cancelled? [-X

Reason? Racist incidents in the AFL come from a very small minority who are dealt with quickly and decisively. Incidents like this are obviously so common in the NRL they don't even know where to start! [-X
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

I guess the other fans have not directly reported the incident and the people involved. A pity but hard to do if you dont know their names isnt it? So to me, as I suspected this all looks like it is hardly the NRLs fault and in the AFL's case we should be honoring those supporters who reported the racist git in the collingwood crowd. The AFL acted but wouldnt have if it werent for those who reported the racism.

xman wrote:
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I guess the other fans have not directly reported the incident and the people involved. A pity but hard to do if you dont know their names isnt it? So to me, as I suspected this all looks like it is hardly the NRLs fault and in the AFL's case we should be honoring those supporters who reported the racist git in the collingwood crowd. The AFL acted but wouldnt have if it werent for those who reported the racism.
The stories about the NRL SOO racist incidents described racist signs which were confiscated. Why weren't these fans evicted and dealt with by the league? :-k

There were also many fans who reported hearing NSW SOO supporters yelling racist comments. Why weren't the authorities at the game told so they could confront the perpetrators, take their details, and punish them after the game?

Look at the way the two leagues have dealt with recent racist issues within their ranks. Matt Rendell was sacked eithin days despite giving a reasonable account of his comments, which were a private conversation that was reported to the media. Meanwhile Andrew Johns was left to continue in his role as NSW SOO coach amongst other hi profile roles. [-X

Why the massive difference?

Reason? The AFL are taking racism seriously. The NRL just accept its part of their game.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Obviously the fans didnt tell the authorities at the game. I'm hoping the raised awareness this story has provided has given the NRL and AFL some food for thought for putting processes in place which may allow an easier punishment of racist gits in the crowd. Security need to be informed of such a process and I doubt both codes have a specific policy in place which addresses this. Xman and TLPG hows about we join forces and submit a letter to both organisations on this one?

You do have a point with the Johns case and action was taken and IIRC Johns made a formal apology. I think you actually stated the action against Rendell was too harsh Xman so what are you arguing for here? IMO again clearer policies in both codes should be drawn to more effectively deal with these issues.

Additionally lets not forget that when we apply the agreed upon theory that diversity breeds tolerance we must all agree the NRL is more likely less prone to racism.

xman wrote: