It's War - AFL To Attack NRL Heartland

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

It's War - AFL To Attack NRL Heartland

Post by Beaussie »

Fox Sports wrote:
$20m raid into NRL heartland
By Cameron Bell
March 6, 2005
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 14,00.html

THE AFL is planning to launch an audacious $20 million raid into rugby league's heartland and build momentum to launch a second Sydney team.

In an exclusive interview with The Sunday Telegraph, AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said expanding the game in NSW was a huge part of his code's strategic plan.

The grand vision of the AFL is to eventually have a second Sydney team based in the west and playing home games out of Telstra Stadium.

Currently, the AFL is putting $8.5 million into the code in NSW and, with the game's broadcast rights set to be renegotiated for a huge price at the end of the year, the AFL is going to be flushed with cash to embark on a big invasion into enemy territory.

"What we are spending at the moment in NSW and Sydney is really not enough," Demetriou said. "We are obviously hoping for a positive outcome from the broadcast rights and that will enable us to spend substantially more in NSW and Sydney from next year."

Asked how much more, Demetriou remained coy.

"Substantially more usually means a lot more," he said.

But the money will at least be doubled as the AFL looks to creep up on league and union - still the two main codes in Sydney and NSW.

Demetriou said the AFL wasn't about to dream about becoming the No1 code in town.

"We have no illusions about knocking off the rugby codes and we understand and respect what rugby league means to the people of NSW ... almost as much as what AFL means to people in Melbourne," he said.

"Rugby union and soccer also have a significant presence.

"But this is all about finding a niche and I'm sure Sydney is a big enough city to cater for

all the different football codes."

The multi-million dollar investment into Sydney will primarily be used to build new AFL facilities, upgrade existing ones, set up a genuine schools competition and foster the grass-roots area of the game.

"At the moment, we are struggling getting the game into schools," Demetriou said. "We want to shore up our investment in teenagers in an effort to attract the best athletes to our game.

"We are also planning on working with local governments in looking at new facilities."

Demetriou praised the efforts of the Swans in developing the game in NSW and bringing a new generation of followers to the code. He has no doubt Sydney will one day be big enough to cater for two AFL teams.

"At some stage in the future, Sydney will have a second team," he said. "But we are thrilled with our investment at Telstra Stadium and, strategically, that has been a very good move for us.

"I'm not saying a second team will happen during my term.

"But Sydney is one of the single biggest sporting markets in the world. First of all, we've got to shore up the success of the Swans and if you are going to introduce a team, it has to be at the right time.

"I think, down the track, there can be some very healthy competition between the Swans and a second Sydney team."

NRL chief executive David Gallop said he took the rival code's endeavours seriously.

"But the success we've had over the last few years has also enabled us to pump millions of extra dollars into grass-roots rugby league," Gallop said.

"As a result, we've seen a huge increase in the game's numbers - especially in western Sydney.

"We have to keep our eye on the ball and ensure we remain the dominant code in our heartland.

"In regards to a second team in Sydney, it's their decision and obviously there is a lot of pressure in Melbourne given the amount of teams they have based there."

The Sunday Telegraph

This is exactly the type of news I love hearing coming out of AFL HQ. Time to strike with new teams in Western Sydney and on the Gold Coast. Your time is up NRL. :<>
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:
Has thanked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Good luck to Aussie Rules football with their expansion plans. However chest pumping before the fact never got anyone anywhere. The best thing they can do for now is walk the walk at the right time IMHO.

And there is and will be no "war". Sydney as a whole is a massive sporting market, and if all football's continue to grow, they will all find their own "niche" so to speak. Mr Demetriou made that clear in his interview in the article and he is quite right. There will always be a place for AFL is Sydney, but there is no chance of pipping Rugby League or to a lesser extent Union, just like visa versa for Melbourne. The AFL are simply looking to get as much market share as possible in Australia's biggest market, and they have to for long term survival.

Simply an over-exaggeration by the Tele for mine. It's how you sell papers and it works every time.
Jason Gillespie - 54* (155)

Formerly Uppy80
crocodileman

Post by crocodileman »

Dizzys, what they (Demetriou and the AFL) say publicly about room for all in the market and what they want are two totally different things. I've got no doubt that they would have long term aspirations to take over the lions share of Sydney's market.

I have no doubt that it will be a war, however early it may be!
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Re: It's War - AFL To Attack NRL Heartland

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
and on the Gold Coast.
That will be a problem for Aussie Rules football due to the Dolphins' (NRL) bid. GCCC commited itself to Rugby League months ago with respect to the Gold Coast Stadium, saying that it's priority is the Dolphins at this stage. Should the Dolphins get the go ahead, the Coast's stadium will be transformed into a rectangular field, as that is part of the NRL's terms for a GC based team. I'll admit to only being new to AFL but I know enough to know that first grade matches, or any grade for that matter, just cannot be played on rectangular fields. With my knowledge of the Coast, the nearest decent oval for AFL standards lies between Stanley and Vulture streets in Brisbane.

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Yes i think you're right once again here dizzy. Papers will write just about anything for sales. And as for afl taking over nrl in sydney? :lol:

I'm sorry beaussie but there's no way its happening in your life time champ. I think I've told you before, but maybe you should consider a move of states? :lol: You'd be so much happier, talking afl in bars on a friday night, hacking shite on league, you'd feel much more welcomed im sure. And even if you gave the players a spray every time you saw them in public you wouldnt be shunned. Probably more like respected. Go on beaussie admit it, league kicks ass in sydney. Its time to give up the "war" :lol: and pack your bags for melbourne town.

Ahhhh good ol league, the dominant sport in australias biggest market :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put that one in your pipe and smoke it beaussie :lol:

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: It's War - AFL To Attack NRL Heartland

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Beaussie wrote:
and on the Gold Coast.
That will be a problem for Aussie Rules football due to the Dolphins' (NRL) bid. GCCC commited itself to Rugby League months ago with respect to the Gold Coast Stadium, saying that it's priority is the Dolphins at this stage. Should the Dolphins get the go ahead, the Coast's stadium will be transformed into a rectangular field, as that is part of the NRL's terms for a GC based team. I'll admit to only being new to AFL but I know enough to know that first grade matches, or any grade for that matter, just cannot be played on rectangular fields. With my knowledge of the Coast, the nearest decent oval for AFL standards lies between Stanley and Vulture streets in Brisbane.
True Dizzy, but there is lots of talk about the AFL investing and playing more matches at Cararra to ensure it remains oval shaped. I must admit the AFL really does need to act fast as if the ground does go to rectangular, the AFL will need to build a new stadium. Clearly not a desireable situation I would think. Blockbuster matches between the Gold Coast and Brisbane and other teams would of course need to be played at the Gabba in any case.

Did you know one of the members of the Gold Coast Dolphins NRL bid team is a member of the Southport Sharks Australian Football club? He is on the bid team for a reason. My guess, reporting back to AFL HQ and ensuring Cararra doesn't go rectangular. Gold Coast City Council I suspect are saying rugby league is their priority to ensure the AFL kicks in funds to maintain the ground as an oval shaped field. Last night demonstrated the Gold Coast community does like their AFL with the official crowd last night beating the recent NRL trials at the same venue. Let's not forget the large Victorian ex-pat community on the Gold Coast either. :wink:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
I'm sorry beaussie but there's no way its happening in your life time champ. I think I've told you before, but maybe you should consider a move of states? :lol: You'd be so much happier, talking afl in bars on a friday night, hacking shite on league, you'd feel much more welcomed im sure. And even if you gave the players a spray every time you saw them in public you wouldnt be shunned. Probably more like respected. Go on beaussie admit it, league kicks ass in sydney. Its time to give up the "war" :lol: and pack your bags for melbourne town.

Ahhhh good ol league, the dominant sport in australias biggest market :lol: :lol: :lol:

Time will tell I guess. It's war and do you really believe the NRL can win in the long term? :roll:

As for the rest of your dribble, I'm never leaving Sydney. Melbourne is good for a holiday, but not much else. Oh and the Swans draw bigger crowds than any NRL team in Sydney. When was the last time an NRL team in a H&A game attracted a crowd of 70,000+ in Sydney? The Swans would have more members than all the NRL clubs in Sydney put together. :(/
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

If the AFL really are serious about the Coast, they need to act right now, literally. Sometime this season (within the next couple of months I believe) the NRL will annouce it's a 16th franchise. The NRL turned down the bids last year for a reason but this year they will go ahead with it, and to be honest my odds would be the Dolphins $1.15, the Bears $6.00 and the Orcas $6.50.

If the NRL do announce the Gold Coast as the winner of the bid, there will be nothing Mr Demetriou can do im afraid. They'd, as you say, have to build a new stadium somehow or simply share the Gabba with the Brisbane team.

So effectively the future of top level AFL on the Coast lies in the hands of the NRL board. And sheesh Beaussie, we all know that they are very unreliable hands to say the least.

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

That double header got something around 110,000 a few years back didnt it? A double header yes but is it a record that still stands? I know its definitely bigger than the swans will get in sydney in the next decade or five. :lol: And the afl has only one team in nsw so you'd guess the support has to be there for them. Who else are they going to barrack? :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're all bandwagoners anyway (your words beaussie!) so really the afl is going alot worse in sydney than those crowd figures suggest. :lol:

....Pipe.......Smoke it. :lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
That double header got something around 110,000 a few years back didnt it? A double header yes but is it a record that still stands?
It's amazing the crowd support the NRL can get with the Daily Telegraph's $5 ticket special isn't it? :roll:

Let's not forget that crowd you raise was in the lead up to the Olympics and Sydneysiders (the event goers that they are) wanted to be seen at the new stadium. Tell me KE, what have the NRL crowds since then been at Homebush, go ahead, even include the artificial double header crowd figures if you must. :(/
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Time will tell I guess. It's war and do you really believe the NRL can win in the long term? :roll:

As for the rest of your dribble, I'm never leaving Sydney. Melbourne is good for a holiday, but not much else. Oh and the Swans draw bigger crowds than any NRL team in Sydney. When was the last time an NRL team in a H&A game attracted a crowd of 70,000+ in Sydney? The Swans would have more members than all the NRL clubs in Sydney put together. :(/
There will be a place for AFL in Sydney, but any suggestion AFL will pass Rugby League in market share is rediculous (in my opinion).

Financially ~ There are 9 NRL clubs in Sydney at this stage, most have massive League's clubs to support them. When rationalisation of the Sydney area in the NRL reaches the ultimate number of clubs, they will turn into very strong and sustainable organisations. To my knowledge, AFL clubs rely on "membership" drives and grants to stay afloat. And I believe they generate large sums for these memberships as they are targeting what AFL fans do better than the rest, actually attend their sport. But what happens when memberships fall? That's where Rugby League will always have the advantage in Sydney, especially due to the fact that League severly out-does the AFL in terms of club numbers in Sydney. At the moment it stands at 9 to 1.

Attendance ~ 9 clubs to 1 as above-mentioned. As you say Beaussie, the Swans get bigger individual crowds, but obviously people attending League matches in Sydney each year would dwarf people atteding AFL matches. Comparing clubs is irrelevant when the argument is all about comapring the sports.

Ratings ~ Obvious. In some respects it is sad to see after the successes of the Swans in the 90's, but they are going downhill on the box. There are Swans matches on the telly just about every Saturday night where I am, yet the numbers continue to fall. Rugby League ratings remain the strongest in Sydney and are on the increase, especially for rep games.

In my opinion, the AFL need to get the Swans on track first. All a second team will do at this point is split the market share and drain the AFL's bank. If the Swans are doing it tough to hold there own now, how do the AFL expect them to go when competition arrives in town? 2-300,000 supporters arent just going to pop up out of thin air.

Formerly Uppy80
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Financially ~ There are 9 NRL clubs in Sydney at this stage, most have massive League's clubs to support them. When rationalisation of the Sydney area in the NRL reaches the ultimate number of clubs, they will turn into very strong and sustainable organisations.
You mean the same rugby league clubs that claim any increase in the NSW pokie tax will mean their demise and the end of rugby league in NSW? :(/
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
To my knowledge, AFL clubs rely on "membership" drives and grants to stay afloat. And I believe they generate large sums for these memberships as they are targeting what AFL fans do better than the rest, actually attend their sport. But what happens when memberships fall?
AFL clubs also have pokies to add to the substainal funds raised from merchandise, memberships, sponsorship etc.
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Attendance ~ 9 clubs to 1 as above-mentioned. As you say Beaussie, the Swans get bigger individual crowds, but obviously people attending League matches in Sydney each year would dwarf people atteding AFL matches. Comparing clubs is irrelevant when the argument is all about comapring the sports.
A H&A average crowd of a little over 14,000 I would think is a real worry wouldn't you agree? Even teams like Souths who are supposedly "the pride of the league" struggle to break the 10,000 mark.
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Ratings ~ Obvious. In some respects it is sad to see after the successes of the Swans in the 90's, but they are going downhill on the box. There are Swans matches on the telly just about every Saturday night where I am, yet the numbers continue to fall. Rugby League ratings remain the strongest in Sydney and are on the increase, especially for rep games.
Whilst I'm not overjoyed with the TV ratings for Swans games, they have increased. I'll agree though they need to improve alot more.
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
In my opinion, the AFL need to get the Swans on track first. All a second team will do at this point is split the market share and drain the AFL's bank. If the Swans are doing it tough to hold there own now, how do the AFL expect them to go when competition arrives in town? 2-300,000 supporters arent just going to pop up out of thin air.
You sure you're not from RedandWhiteOnline? :lol:

The Swans are on track. Haven't you ever considered that a second team in Sydney can increase the interest and market with an AFL game in Sydney every weekend as opposed to every fortnight? The media coverage would no doubt increase as a result and we all know how successful the media is in generating support. Just think back to when Eddie first hit Sydney promoting the Swans v Collingwood game and the sellout crowd at Homebush that resulted. Massive crowds would also be guranteed for the local derbies between the Swans and Western Sydney.

If you need further proof of how introducing a second team can actually increase interest and support for the original team, just look at the examples in West Coast and Adeliade after the Dockers and Power were brought in. I don't see how Sydney would be any different. I'm not however going to say the initial years of the new Sydeny team wouldn't require support from the AFL. The long term results however would pay of handsomely for the AFL after an initial investment in the new team I would think.
Dizzys_on_fire
Reserves
Reserves
Team:

Post by Dizzys_on_fire »

Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Financially ~ There are 9 NRL clubs in Sydney at this stage, most have massive League's clubs to support them. When rationalisation of the Sydney area in the NRL reaches the ultimate number of clubs, they will turn into very strong and sustainable organisations.
You mean the same rugby league clubs that claim an increase in the NSW pokie tax will mean their demise? :(/
It won't mean their demise. Clubs don't like losing money of any quantity.
Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
To my knowledge, AFL clubs rely on "membership" drives and grants to stay afloat. And I believe they generate large sums for these memberships as they are targeting what AFL fans do better than the rest, actually attend their sport. But what happens when memberships fall?
AFL clubs also have pokies to add to the substainal funds raised from merchandise, memberships, sponsorship etc.
Of course. My point being that AFL is membership focussed, and Rugby League is focussed on it's League's clubs.

It's also interesting to note the NRL's massive increase in merch sales.
Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
A H&A average crowd of a little over 14,000 I would think is a real worry wouldn't you agree? Even teams like Souths who are supposedly "the pride of the league" struggle to break to the 10,000 mark.
I believe you missed my point. Average attendence comparisons of individual clubs mean nothing. The fact is that many, many, many more people attend NRL matches in Sydney each year. It's obvious and there is no argument against it.
Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
Whilst I'm not overjoyed with the TV ratings for Swans games, they have increased. I'll agree though they need to improve alot more.
If they have increased, how bad where they before?
Beaussie wrote:
Dizzys_on_fire wrote:
You sure you're not from RedandWhiteOnline? :lol:

The Swans are on track. Haven't you ever considered that a second team in Sydney can increase the interest and market with an AFL game in Sydney every weekend as opposed to every fortnight? The media coverage would no doubt increase as a result and we all know how successful the media is in generating support. Just think back to when Eddie first hit Sydney promoting the Swans v Collingwood game and the sellout crowd at Homebush that resulted. Massive crowds would also be guranteed for the local derbies between the Swans and Western Sydney.
I still don't see where 300,000 or more (to at least fulfill crowd and ratings quota) new supporters are going to pop up from. I suspect it would take many years to get a WS team to a reasonable level, whilst in the meantime taking a heavy toll on the AFL's bank. To me it's a bitg risk for the AFL. And remember, we are talking about Western Sydney, arguably one of the least AFL supporting areas around and where Rugby League thrives.
Beaussie wrote:
]If you need further proof of how introducing a second team can actually increase interest and support for the original team, just look at the examples in West Coast and Adeliade after the Dockers and Power were brought in. I don't see how Sydney would be any different. I'm not however going to say the initial years of the new Sydeny team wouldn't require support from the AFL. The long term results however would pay of handsomely for the AFL after an initial investment in the new team I would think.
You've used Adelaide and Perth as examples. Both cities fiercly support Aussie rules football. Just remember we are talking about Sydney, Rugby League's biggest market. Not a good attitude to take into Sydney.

Formerly Uppy80
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach

Post by King-Eliagh »

Beaussie i went to that collingwood swans game i recall it being 8000 shy of a sellout. Please keep the evidence you use correct.

And i believe rugby leagues clubs claiming the pokie tax will kill them is a massive understatement. They just dont want to lose revenue, you knew this also though beaussie as you told me this while you were working for the department of racing and gambling. Oh the lies beaussie, the lies!!!

:lol:

xman wrote:
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beaussie »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Beaussie i went to that collingwood swans game i recall it being 8000 shy of a sellout. Please keep the evidence you use correct.

And i believe rugby leagues clubs claiming the pokie tax will kill them is a massive understatement. They just dont want to lose revenue, you knew this also though beaussie as you told me this while you were working for the department of racing and gambling. Oh the lies beaussie, the lies!!!

:lol:
Despite the official crowd figure, the match was a sellout.

Oh and it was the Dept. of Gaming and Racing mate, and yes the clubs will not die as a result of an increase in the pokie tax. As you and Dizzy have pointed out, they just don't want to loose any money. Gotta pay for the new fountains and rainforests in the foyers somehow - with a little left over of course for community development.