Tanking in AFL according to bigfooty members

Which is the best football code? Here you can have it out with other football fans.
TLPG
Coach
Coach
Team: MYOB
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Tanking in AFL according to bigfooty members

Post by TLPG »

We aren't copping a thumping, KE. You just refuse to listen. You don't know what tanking is and that's the end of the matter because youa re yet to prove otherwise with proper and verified evidence OUTSIDE of the media who have been running with the wrong interpretation from day one.

Xman and me 10
KE -10
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Xman
Coach
Coach
Team: Essendon
Been liked: 0

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Oh comon now Xman. Lets not act stupid here, oh sorry, for you it prob aint acting.

The top draft pick is a player who 99 times out of 100 is simply more skilled and has more potential than a 20th draft pick. Hence teams would be very happy to get higher draft picks, who 99 times out of a hundred would inevitably provide more opportunities for success on the field.

We know you're stupid Xman but please dont insinuate club managers and coaches are as stupid as yourself and TLPG in all this.

Lock 'er up now Xman! TLPG and you are copping a real thumping in this one and TLPG would also like it if you locked this baby up. He's really struggling now.
There have been many many great players who have been selected outside the top 20. Many top 20 players have been failures. As the article shows, relying on high draft picks to improve is just plain silly. Teams just do not tank for this reason. The article is correct, you are not. [-X
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

So you dont believe the top draft pick is more often a better more skillful player than one outside the top 20?

hahahaha Ahhh Xman you're more useless than a limp dildo! You're basically going against the expert opinions of all AFL draft selectors. I'm sorry but i think guys who are paid to select the most talented drafts are a bit more in the know than you buddy. hahahahahaha ohhhh Xman, when will you get it right?

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

You just made an idiot of yourself again, KE. There is NO WAY to predict how good a number one pick will be. The entire list have skills otherwise they wouldn't be drafted to begin with! I'm sure if I went through the past drafts that I would find many players drafted outside the top 20 who were great players! Number 1 might be the most skilled at the time of the draft, but that changes over a period of time!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
So you dont believe the top draft pick is more often a better more skillful player than one outside the top 20?

hahahaha Ahhh Xman you're more useless than a limp dildo! You're basically going against the expert opinions of all AFL draft selectors. I'm sorry but i think guys who are paid to select the most talented drafts are a bit more in the know than you buddy. hahahahahaha ohhhh Xman, when will you get it right?
Of course you have a better chance of selecting a likely better player if you have an early pick. BUT it is just that, a chance. It has no guarantees! Recent history is littered with high draft picks who have failed to deliver. Examples: Richard Tampling 4th, Luke Livingston 4th, Dylan Smith 6th, Xaviar Clark 5th, Jarred Brennen 3rd, Tim Walsh 4th, Farren Ray 4th, Kane Tennace 7th, Kepler Bradley 6th, Tom Williams 6th, etc etc...

Additionally, you only get one first round pick, not half a team. This single pick will not make the difference between a poor team and a good team. finishing last gets you pick 1. Finishing 8th gets you pick 11. Are you suggesting the difference between selecting a number 1 and 11th is a decent compensation for finishing last compared to making the finals?

You're deluded! [-(
King-Eliagh: ...I believe [RL] is popular in all the other states and territories, bar tasmania.
Beaussie
Site Admin
Site Admin
Team: Sydney Swans
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Beaussie »

TLPG wrote:
You just made an idiot of yourself again, KE. There is NO WAY to predict how good a number one pick will be. The entire list have skills otherwise they wouldn't be drafted to begin with! I'm sure if I went through the past drafts that I would find many players drafted outside the top 20 who were great players! Number 1 might be the most skilled at the time of the draft, but that changes over a period of time!
Jack Watts anybody?
King-Eliagh
Coach
Coach
Team: Parramatta
Been liked: 11 times

Post by King-Eliagh »

Xman wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Of course you have a better chance of selecting a likely better player if you have an early pick. BUT it is just that, a chance. It has no guarantees!
Oh Xman, you seem to forget we are talking about professional sport here. There's millions of dollars at stake and a chance is exactly what all clubs are looking for. Im not saying they would sacrifice their season but if they had little chance at making the finals in the second half of the season, then taking the chance at getting a high draft pick by changing positions and trying stuff that 'might' be good for development but more importantly will ensure your team doesnt win many more games is a chance worth taking for corrupt immoral folk in the business.

Its all very real and thank god the AFL has tried to do something about it. [-o<

xman wrote:
KE, why is an even comp important?
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

It IS for development you dummy! That's what Bailey told the AFL and it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

All you're doing is flogging a dead horse.

Lock button please, Xman! Or Beau! This subject is dead.
THIS FORUM IS RACIST
Xman
Coach
Coach

Post by Xman »

King-Eliagh wrote:
Xman wrote:
King-Eliagh wrote:

Of course you have a better chance of selecting a likely better player if you have an early pick. BUT it is just that, a chance. It has no guarantees!
Oh Xman, you seem to forget we are talking about professional sport here. There's millions of dollars at stake and a chance is exactly what all clubs are looking for. Im not saying they would sacrifice their season but if they had little chance at making the finals in the second half of the season, then taking the chance at getting a high draft pick by changing positions and trying stuff that 'might' be good for development but more importantly will ensure your team doesnt win many more games is a chance worth taking for corrupt immoral folk in the business.

Its all very real and thank god the AFL has tried to do something about it. [-o<
More proof tanking doesn't exist! =D>

Changing your players to different positions doesn't ensure your team will lose! Why would a team, who is relying on losing specific games, to result in ending the season in a certain position on the ladder, rely on chance tactics like this to possibly lose? :roll:

Kevin Sheedy's entire coaching philosophy was based around developing and utilizing a team full of flexible players who could successfully play in multiple positions on the ground. How did he do this? By playing forwards in the back line and backs in the forward line. By playing the ruck as a forward and the full forward or centre half forward in the ruck. By resting the star mid fielder in the forward pocket and playing the goal sneak in the mid field.

These players learn how to play in defensive and attacking positions and situations, rounding their skill sets and providing the coach with alternate strategies when plan A failed. I can remember countless games when Essendon made radical position changes at half time and came back to win the game.

Is this tanking? Hardly! Sheedy used these tactics before the draft was even introduced! :wink:
TLPG
Coach
Coach

Post by TLPG »

That's the best last word I've read on this thread!

Lock please! This one's done and dusted!
THIS FORUM IS RACIST